Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Make your own Solid Mounts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bingo!! Yay for ghetto motor mount makers! If that one doesn't do ya right do the tranny mount too!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
i believe having holes is critical to the strength of the urethane bond. it gives you ability to tape up one side, then pour in one sitting so it cures as one piece (not two). it would require either fully gutting out the rubber (minus the metal bushing) or gutting portions of it.
You are absolutly correct. I've seen numerous people on Honda-tech try this out in 2-step+ methods and down the line they always end up with a tear similar to where they layered the Urethane. IF you do these motor mounts people, definitly do it all at once so it cures as ONE solid mount rather than 2 or 3 layers dried on top of each other.

edit: I just did a front mount on a 90' Eagle TSi and the results were EXTREMELY comparable to my Blox Front Engine Roll Stop. Very good bang for your buck if you don't mind the Home Depot style.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

for anyone who cares about stiffening the front motor mount, heres my review.

i bought window weld, uninstalled the brace and motor mount. thorough cleaning was done by leaving it in a bath of rubbing alchohol and roughing up the rubber with sandpaper. my original plan was drilling holes into the rubber but i got lazy. applied windowweld to one side to make it as even as flush as possible with the mount itself. windowweld dries even to turn over reasonably quickly (maybe 15 - 20 minutes) so then do same to other side. this point, the window weld is soft as silicone. threw it my small toaster for 2 hours in 350F, then sat in my room for about 10 - 12 hours in room temperate. now i notice its hard as a very dry rubber eraser. installation was straight forward(dont need to jack up the engine).

driving feel - my car idles at 1k rpm so i didnt feel any extra vibration. when i go off and on the throttle, much less engine movement. im sure there is still slight movement but overall im very happy with the cost and streetability of this mod.