Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Lots of people (are able to) do DIY timing belt jobs. That does not mean the job is simple. You cannot simply order a kit and slap in on some Saturday morning - not the first time anyway. You need a good service jack, jack stands, maybe air tools and the special tool for adjusting the tensioner pulley. You also need to have nearly memorized the timing belt section in the service manual. So, for some people, the dealership is still the best choice. Do a timing belt job wrong and you can seriously screw up an engine.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Lots of people (are able to) do DIY timing belt jobs. That does not mean the job is simple. You cannot simply order a kit and slap in on some Saturday morning - not the first time anyway. You need a good service jack, jack stands, maybe air tools and the special tool for adjusting the tensioner pulley. You also need to have nearly memorized the timing belt section in the service manual. So, for some people, the dealership is still the best choice. Do a timing belt job wrong and you can seriously screw up an engine.
TRuf. Thats why i suggested finding a friend. When my friend had his evo, i helped him time his with the help of the manual of here, jay racings timing belt kit and patience.

I would highly suggest finding a friend to help out.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VETTE_50_TH
Find a friend who has done one and have him help you.

+1 good idea if anyone is local to you
Old May 13, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm not sayin you shouldn't do it yourself, but if it's your first time working on a car, this should definately NOT be your first job. if you can do it, fine. if you have doubts, take it to a reputable shop, bite the bullet and pay the money. if a shop screws it up, you have options. if you screw it up, your just screwed. the most important things to get done in that 60k is serp, timing and balance belt, tensioners, and waterpump. everything else can wait. (unless you never changed the drivetrain fluids, thats good to do also.)

i did my 60k at a reputable speedshop in the bay area and i paid $1400 for everything. t&b belts, pulleys, serp., w/p, hoses, plugs, wires, drivetrain fluids. if i did it myself, it was $1000 for parts, i would have to down my daily driver for 2+ days, and i would have no warrantee if i screwed it up. ( not that i would have, i've been a mechanic for 14 years, but **** happens you cant account for). look around, call and compare, and definately scope the shop and it's employees before taking the dive. good luck.

Last edited by heavens turbo; May 13, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:28 PM

My 60 K service is coming up soon! Not looking forward to it but I know its gotta be done or I risk losing my motor. My dealership said they will do it for half the cost of a Mitsubishi Dealership!!!!!!
Old May 13, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buchnerj
Worst advice I have heard in a while. The water pumps are only really tested to last 60,000 miles, any longer and you are really on borrowed time. So what happens when you get it to last a little longer and then it does fail? You have to spend even more money to rip it all up again and then spend the money to replace it. That is if you don't overheat the motor before then due to the failure, then the bill will be 10x the cost.

Do it right the first time.
where did you get the info that evo water pumps are tested to last for 60k?
I have seen quite a few high mileage evos, and dont really hear about water pump failures too often.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
where did you get the info that evo water pumps are tested to last for 60k?
I have seen quite a few high mileage evos, and dont really hear about water pump failures too often.
I have changed WP every 60K. The original one is the only one that wasn't weeping coolant. Not a big leak or anything, just weeping, not hitting the floor. For the extra money and maybe 20 minutes tops, I would highly recommend a WP. Heck, I'm a tech and hate to rip sh*t apart twice.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:38 PM

Yea Im doing it all at once that way I dont have to worry about it down the road!!
Old May 15, 2010, 09:17 AM

take the weekend off. Get a good friend thats gonna help you. There is a step by step on evom somewhere.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:02 PM

Is the Evo timing belt job pretty much the same as in a 2g besides it being on the opposite side of the engine?
Old May 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by da_yo
Is the Evo timing belt job pretty much the same as in a 2g besides it being on the opposite side of the engine?
Yes. Its very very similar. I suggest the jay racing timing tools to make your life much easier to install the belt.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

I've got a Gates Timing belt FS. My engine didn't like it and was making noise, but most ppl have no issues using it. PM me if your want it.