Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Changed Spark Plugs, Car died from Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed Spark Plugs, Car died from Cold Start

Hi Guys,

So I changed the spark plugs yesterday in our Evo 8 using these bought from Map:

http://www.maperformance.com/ngk-cop...s-dsm-evo.html

All was fine until this morning. From cold start, I turn the key to start the car and it died. Then, I turn the key again and the car started.

Can anyone help me with this? I called Maperformance to confirm that these spark plugs come pre gapped and he said that they do. They are a step "colder" than stock and the evo currently has bolt ons with English Racing tune. This matches the description as per the Maperformance website...

Any inputs?
Old May 13, 2010, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what are you gapped at?
ive been running these plugs since the day i bought the car...not a problem...
Old May 13, 2010, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

also what are your mods?
Old May 13, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'm under the impression that they come in pre gapped = direct replacement so I didnt check.

Mods are TBE, Intake, walbro 255, ETS IC pipings and ER tune
Old May 13, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

changing plugs by itself wouldnt cause this issue. Now, improperly installing them might!

what torque did you re-install them? did you properly hookup the coil packs? (I think the VIII has 2 where the IX has 4?) Wires properly seated on the spark plug?

all sensors were re-connected? Battery connections checked and re-torqued?
Old May 13, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

my honda tech buddy torque-d them. i asked him how he can tell if its properly torqued he told me "by experience".

i dont have a torque wrench to check. i ll probably pick up a gapping tool so i can check the plugs like what the vid is showing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk70oyUEftY
Old May 13, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by josel_atr
my honda tech buddy torque-d them. i asked him how he can tell if its properly torqued he told me "by experience".

i dont have a torque wrench to check. i ll probably pick up a gapping tool so i can check the plugs like what the vid is showing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk70oyUEftY
Torque on a spark plug wouldn't matter unless it was completely stripped out, or not tightened enough to allow blowby past the threads. Chances are it's a gap issue, or a loose connection to a coil pack. I assume after a restart, everything ran smooth? Having the plugs in the wrong order would cause some really rough idle, and the car would drive like s**t.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Given your description of the problem I'm inclined to believe you'r coils were not reinstalled properly.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Well, considering everything was fine yesterday after the install, there might not be a problem. The fact that it died once this morning is worrisome but it might have been a fluke. It's easy enough to pull the spark plug cover and check that everything's hooked up right but unless you have further issues, I'd chalk it up to randomness. How has the car been running since you got things started and going?
Old May 13, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
what torque did you re-install them? did you properly hookup the coil packs? (I think the VIII has 2 where the IX has 4?) Wires properly seated on the spark plug?
where did you get this info from??!! both evo 8 and 9 have the same number of coilpacks!!!!

Spark plug come pre-gapped, BUT they don't come pregapped for evo!! Think about it, the same plug are used for so many applications, and bpr8es are not listed for OEM 4g63, therefore they are not pregapped for evo

Last edited by fugiwara; May 13, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
where did you get this info from??!! both evo 8 and 9 have the same number of coilpacks!!!!
(I think the VIII has 2 where the IX has 4?)
Disclaimer was provided (in bold above)

When doing some engine detailing 2 weeks ago, my friends VIII has 2 of the black boxes above the spark plugs, where my IX has 4. We assumed that was why my car was pure awesome.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

ok. im just stuck at work right now. i will check it out later in the afternoon.

1. there will be another cold start before the drive home from work. i will find it if it does the same problem.
2. i will buy the gapping tool and spark plug remover to double check the gap.
3. make sure every connection is good. and the coils.

thanks guys.

fugiwara - thanks for your input but you need to calm down buddy. when i talked to one of the guys at map, they told me specifically they should be pregapped for the evo. it was my fauld i didnt double check.

as for now, im off to doing a search what the correct gap is. not unless someone provide it to me.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:33 AM

When I got my new spark plugs, I noticed that out of the four I got, none of them were gapped the same, it was pure randomness, so you should also check the gap yourself.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Disclaimer was provided (in bold above)

When doing some engine detailing 2 weeks ago, my friends VIII has 2 of the black boxes above the spark plugs, where my IX has 4. We assumed that was why my car was pure awesome.
You must have been suffering from double vision Ryan. The IX only has 2 coils also. Maybe the previous owner upgraded you to a COP setup?

Josel, standard plug gap is 0.7-0.8 mm
Old May 13, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eric Keely
When I got my new spark plugs, I noticed that out of the four I got, none of them were gapped the same, it was pure randomness, so you should also check the gap yourself.
sir you and i have similar mods, especially the Rexspeed VG.

what did you gap them to?

Quick Reply: Changed Spark Plugs, Car died from Cold Start