Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

55 Gallon Drum question, for those who have one

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
55 Gallon Drum question, for those who have one

Ok so we dont have E85 here in NJ (except one station with a guy that answers the phone who doesnt know a lick of english) but Im making the wise decision of ditching my meth injection, even after upgrading to a $150 pump, getting all new fittings, getting 15 feet of stainless steel braided hose and a new nozzle assembly with a very expensive micron inline filter. I just dont want the headache and worry of meth anymore, eventhough I used to be a huge advocate of it. We all wake up I guess.

I'm going to be doing 2 maps for my car; one on 93 and one on E85.
I will be getting one or two 55 gallon drums and going to a nearby E85 station in NY and filling them for when I need a little extra fun

Questions are...
1. Plastic barrel or steel drum? I'm leaning toward steel drum, seems like the better option for only $20-$40 more.

2. I see the steel drums popularly come new with either a "rust inhibitor coating" or a "chemical resistant epoxy phenolic coating". Which one should I go with for E85 storage if I did go with steel over plastic?

3. Open head with a lid vs a closed head with 2 bungs? Again, I assume the closed head with bungs is smarter than the open head with just a lid.

4. What kind of pump should I get for the barrel? Is there a way to get a pump that I can fill the car up right from the barrel like a real gas pump or would I have to dispense the fuel from the barrel into something like a VP race fuel container and then fill the car up using that?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u can get pumps that run off air and electric ones also. you need to look at your local tractor supply store. also make pumps that you crank. cheaper of the 3. metal or plastic drum i dont think it will matter. im lucky i have e85 15 minutes from my house. yay
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:09 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need something like this...

BTW, switching between maps for 93 and e-85 isn't as an easy process as you think. It's not like running meth vs without. You have to make sure you tank is clear of either fuels before running the other. Be ready to drain your tank....But I'm sure you know that already.

Last edited by chu; Jul 24, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Beware of the legalities of storing large quantities of fuel on your property, particularly with regards to the limits of your homeowners insurance policy and environmental regulations. One accident could cause you to lose everything.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Ok thanks for the info on the storage.

Yes I know I have to completely clear out the tank. I was going to drain the tank between fuels to completely empty it out and also after thats drained, disconnect the fuel lines at the rail and then run the car to drain the rest of the remaining fuel out into a gas can.

Sounds correct??
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've switched from both fuels and if you get it as low as possible, and can tune in the injectors for e85 you'll be fine. As for the drum, I've used a plastic 55 barrel for the past 2 years for my e85 and have had zero problems.

-Josh
Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Im getting tuned by David Buschur, one map on 93 and then second map on a switch on E85. So the car will be tuned and then I wont be touching anything in the tune What exactly do you mean by "tune in" the injectors?

Was the plastic drum any special plastic or just a normal plastic drum? No special coatings or anything? What kind of pump do you have on yours?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:23 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Im getting tuned by David Buschur, one map on 93 and then second map on a switch on E85. So the car will be tuned and then I wont be touching anything in the tune What exactly do you mean by "tune in" the injectors?

Was the plastic drum any special plastic or just a normal plastic drum? No special coatings or anything? What kind of pump do you have on yours?
You need larger injectors to run E-85. Between the two fuels, the injectors need to be scaled differently. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

I was looking at something like this for a while:

http://www.flo-n-go.com/products/product_duramax/

But I believe you can buy just the gas hand pump itself to be able to pump the E85 into your car. If not just buy the small tank to be able to get the handle.

http://www.flo-n-go.com/products/product_maxflo/

-Bink
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm

Scorke

Last edited by scorke; Jul 24, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:00 PM

im about to try out the plastic drum...getting a few 55 gal drums from work for free, the plastic ones i see that go through work hold some pretty harsh corrosive chemicals and they seem to work fine. i dont see why alci would change that much...
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

a plastic drum will work fine, just make sure you keep it sealed well
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

I know a few guys took a battery, and their stock fuel pump, and have it so they can just pump it from the drum to the tank.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:35 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by *constant_boost
I know a few guys took a battery, and their stock fuel pump, and have it so they can just pump it from the drum to the tank.
How long does that take?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

I may be trying out a plastic drum then since you guys seem to have had no bad things to say about em.

Originally Posted by chu
You need larger injectors to run E-85. Between the two fuels, the injectors need to be scaled differently. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I have 1200cc injectors on a double pumper and I assume my injectors would be fine for E85.

Im just basing my assumption off of AWD's Bastard running a 2.4 and an FP Black at 40psi making 700+whp on only a 1200cc injector and double pumper. Someone tell me if Im wrong though. I know I wont be pushing my black to 40psi and making that kind of power, so if a 1200 can support that it should be able to support my car.

Project White also ran 1200cc injectors on a 2.3/Red and made just about 500/500 on the BR dyno on E85 with an afr of mid 11. David didnt believe he was out of injector, he said the stock fuel rail was likely hurting the flow.

Originally Posted by binky
I was looking at something like this for a while:

http://www.flo-n-go.com/products/product_duramax/

But I believe you can buy just the gas hand pump itself to be able to pump the E85 into your car. If not just buy the small tank to be able to get the handle.

http://www.flo-n-go.com/products/product_maxflo/

-Bink
Ooh that thing looks cool! haha

Last edited by Svendiesel; Jul 25, 2010 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 55 Gallon Drum question, for those who have one