Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Strut bar question's.. Please answer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Strut bar question's.. Please answer

Ok I don't know much about strut bars... As u can probley tell... Well..

I ordered a tein strut bar and I got it yesterday...so I went too install it and I didint like it so I went back too the stock strut. So my questions are...

The stock strut bar wa waaay heavier than the aluminum tein bar... Does weight matter?

Are all aftermarket strut bars lighter than the stock bar? I thought the heavier the bar the better the balance...?

What concerned me was the fact that the aftermarket strut bar did not bolt up in the middle... Only on the sides for the suspension... Is that a problem?

Are all aftermarket strut bars like this? Where they don't bolt up in the middle? If so or even not is this not a problem?

All these things concern me... The weight , compared to stock..& thr bolt up in thr middle... Is this not an issue?

Thanks guys...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
If its not mounted to all 3 points, then the bar is probably doing very little. There isn't a whole lot of stress in the axis of a the bar connected at 2 points. I would venture a guess there is more flex in the plane created by these 3 points (flex)
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
The stock strut bar wa waaay heavier than the aluminum tein bar... Does weight matter?
To racers, yes weight does matter. The lighter you can make your car the faster it can go. To serious racers, every ounce matters.

Are all aftermarket strut bars lighter than the stock bar? I thought the heavier the bar the better the balance...?
I have not felt every aftermarket bar so I can't say, but chances are that if they are made of aluminum, they will be lighter. Heavier is not better. It maybe stronger, but if it's designed and built right, a good aluminum bar will be better.

What concerned me was the fact that the aftermarket strut bar did not bolt up in the middle... Only on the sides for the suspension... Is that a problem?
Are all aftermarket strut bars like this? Where they don't bolt up in the middle? If so or even not is this not a problem?
If you are not looking for the most rigid and best handling car you can get, then no, it doesn't matter and it's not a problem. Not all aftermarket bars are like this and some will bolt to the firewall like stock. It is best to have the struts tied to the firewall though.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:11 AM

Unless you're trying to shave off every pound off the car, I would stick with stock (tri-mount) over Tein (2 sides)...unless you just want a Tein theme.

ARC sells one that bolts up in the middle also. Not sure of the weight but it's expensive tho. I rather put my money elsewhere.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Perfect.... Thanks for the information guys. Very helpfull.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:25 PM

The cusco unit would be something you may want to look into. As far as the stock bar is concerned, it's not a bad unit. If your not shooting to shave off a tenth in the quarter mile than weight dosent matter. Atleast not like that
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

I have a cusco and its lighter, its a 3 point, it looks way better, and id recommend it for anyone,

Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, that does look good man.... I would ask people too post more pics of strut but I'm guessing they won't. Looks like I'm might get that...

Seriously man I'm trying too find this strut bar this guy has on his car... I have it in another post the link is...

http://i54.tinypic.com/25pprac.jpg

do u have any idea what strut bar is on that car?
Iv been trying too find it... Even tho I might not get it cuz of the whole 2 peice and not tri... But I was curious on what bar that was and what catch can he had installed on the firewall.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

The only reason to upgrade, IMO is weight and if you find one with an integrated master cylinder brace.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by italianevo88
I have a cusco and its lighter, its a 3 point, it looks way better, and id recommend it for anyone,

This Bar...Is It "Cusco Front Strut Bar Type OS for Mitsubishi EVO 8-9 CT9A (3-Point with BCS)"??

What do u think about the "GTSPEC Type F Front Strut Brace For EVO VIII / IX (3 Point)"??

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=103&page=1
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

I traded my CF lip for that bar, so honestly I dont know the model number, but the one on lancer shop your looking at looks like the same thing, you should show a store the pic and ask what it is, they will probably know
Old Nov 25, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turbolarry
To racers, yes weight does matter. The lighter you can make your car the faster it can go. To serious racers, every ounce matters.
Agreed. When you shave weight everywhere you can, on the entire car, you don't end up with pounds saved; you end up with hundreds of pounds. Also, if you're building an Evo for handling, not drag racing, any weight you can take off the front end of the car will serve to slightly improve the car's extremely front-heavy weight bias and help it to turn better.

Just for the record, here are the weights of the OEM Evo 8/9 strut brace and the TEIN strut brace:

OEM Evo 8/9 front strut tower brace w/ 2 center mounting bolts: 7.44 lb.
TEIN front strut tower brace complete w hardware and mounting brackets: 3.25 lb.

Obviously, if all you want to do is save weight, the easiest/cheapest option is just to remove the strut tower brace entirely. For most drivers/vehicle builds, not having a strut tower brace is not going to make any difference in terms of driver feel or actual lap/autocross run times.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cusco brace ftw! But if you're into drag racing then remove the whole thing and re-install afterwards. You would be surprised what a bolt on Evo will do in the 1/4 with stripping the car for the strip