Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Do you have interior rattles in your evo?
no
13.55%
1-2
58.73%
3-5
16.63%
5+
11.09%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Rattles & Squeaks Inside Your Evo [ALL THREADS MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2003, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Annoying Sound Inside Evo

Just yesterday me and a few friends went to carshow at the convention center pretty close to where I live and on the way there I noticed a strange and annoying sound. The sound is coming from the drivers side door area not even really sure where though but its creeekkksss and cracckkklllesss when I drive and the same with the drivers side A-Pillar something inside of it sounds loose. Does anyone else have these annoying sound problems or have any thoughts on what it could be

Thanks
Michael
Old Nov 30, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Got it, don't know what it is. It is the most annoying sound in the world now that I have the windows up for winter. Mitsubishi said they'd need to keep the car for a day or two if I wanted them to check it out.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

I had the some noise. I got so pissed off that I just beat the hell out of it with my fist. Noise is gone now.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 06:05 PM

Does it sound like the windshield is loose and squeeking on the rubber on top? If so, I got this problem. What to do?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Got the same noise, I think it could be a # of things. If I push on the metal part of the sterring column sometimes it goes away. I am going to try to fix it soon. Somtimes it sounds like its coming from the door, a- pilar, dash, windshield, and many other spots, its like it moves, but very annoying with the windows up.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

have some sort of knocking sound i think is coming from my sunroof anyone else has this problem only does it going over bumps and stuff?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 06:20 PM

check out this thread
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=3
Old Nov 30, 2003, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

you guys that are complaining about these creaks and groans really bought the wrong car...

there is little to no sound deadening material in these cars... ever notice how light and flimsy the rear doors feel when you shut them...?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Diesel
you guys that are complaining about these creaks and groans really bought the wrong car...

there is little to no sound deadening material in these cars... ever notice how light and flimsy the rear doors feel when you shut them...?
As much as I agree with this post, I have to disagree.

Squeaks and rattles are poor design/craftmanship and have nothing to do with the performance of the vehicle.

Perhaps if American car manufacturers picked up on that in the late 80's, they wouldn't be in the hole that they're in now.

If we all "expect" squeaks and rattles in a vehicle such as ours, I'm sure they'll just cut corners and have the same squeaks and rattles in the EVO IX.

I have a few of the same squeaks and rattles in my car. I didn't expect them, and to be quite honest, they're annoying at times. But, I know at this point there's not much that I nor the dealership can do, so I've accepted that as part of the vehicle.

And furthermore, I'm getting a little tired of the "you bought the wrong car" pitch. Seriously, did your Evo come from the factory with your name on it? I guess now that we've bought into a car that isn't 100% perfect and we're pointing out problem areas, we should just give our cars away to someone who may "deserve" it more than ourselves...? Gimme a break.

I dunno. I bought mine because I've wanted one for almost 8 years now. I wouldn't trade it back in for anything.

Last edited by BeenWaitin4Evo; Nov 30, 2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

My driver's side seat creaks when I move from side to side sometimes, but haven't gotten the pillar noise.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 09:34 PM

Yeah that is true but even if I bought a new F-150 I still wouldn't want to hear annoying little sounds from a brand new vehicle with only 2,900 miles on it.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 09:40 PM

Thats the same with me pretty much I was researching and wanting this car about a year before it hit the US. When I went to last years auto show they Mitsubishi reps at the show didn't know crap about the car. One woman said " I think it is going to be twin turbo and rear wheel drive " thats Mitsubishi for you
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I got it too. Sounds like it's coming from either below the passenger seat or behind the passenger dash somewhere. Like something that would develop after putting two 15" subs in, but I don't have any subs. When I first bought the car I barely had this rattle, but now it's getting worse, week by week.

Last edited by Thoe99; Nov 30, 2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:34 PM

I drove my brand new Evo out the door last Tuesday, with 11 miles on it (hooray!)

Almost immediately I hear this rattle that is coming from behind the glove compartment, or somewhere inside the dashboard behind the glovebox, and I do not have anything yet inside the blove compartment.

It sounds like a loose wiring harness dangling against a plastic surface, enough to make a constant but faint rattling noise.

But at hghway speeds, the rattling noice is drowned from the road noises.

Either that, or turn up the hifi volume.

Or rev the engine ;-)

It is a minor annoyance...and I agree with some posters that this is part of the *allure* of owning an Evo....
Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

hey tra....that is actually the glove box door rattling...if you push on it....it will go away...

Quick Reply: Rattles & Squeaks Inside Your Evo [ALL THREADS MERGED]