Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine Cut off on part throttle

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Cut off on part throttle

I just got a bone stock Evo 9 with 39k miles. I noticed a slight engine cut off when I build boost and back off the throttle a little. The previous owner said this is an emission related thing that will be taken care of by an aftermarket ECU flash. Any ideas on how to take care of this ?

Last edited by overdrive1; Mar 3, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you mean while at a standstill?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

no , this is while cruising. the car jerks like the engine is cutting in and out...for a microsecond.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Is it possible the original owner modded the car and returned it to stock without re-adjusting the factory ECU settings?

If not...check the usual suspects like plugs, boost leaks, etc.

Last edited by Boostd4; Mar 3, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boostd4
Is it possible the original owner modded the car and returned it to stock without re-adjusting the factory ECU settings?

If not...check the usual suspects like plugs, boost leaks, etc.
nope, car was untouched bone stock upto the last bolt. It had a 100,000 mile warranty that mits gave out in 2007 in the last few months to move out the existing inventory so he never touched anything. He had other cars to play with so this remained bone stock. I will check the usual stuff this weekend.

He said it was an emission related thing that came from factory and it was a california car as well, so not sure if that was different ?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by overdrive1
nope, car was untouched bone stock upto the last bolt. It had a 100,000 mile warranty that mits gave out in 2007 in the last few months to move out the existing inventory so he never touched anything. He had other cars to play with so this remained bone stock. I will check the usual stuff this weekend.

He said it was an emission related thing that came from factory and it was a california car as well, so not sure if that was different ?
AFAIK the CA cars are no different from the rest of the country. As I mentioned before, check the plugs and other wear items in the engine. Might even consider taking advantage of that warranty.

GL
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by overdrive1
I just got a bone stock Evo 9 with 39k miles. I noticed a slight engine cut off when I build boost and back off the throttle a little. The previous owner said this is an emission related thing that will be taken care of by an aftermarket ECU flash. Any ideas on how to take care of this ?
If its doing it on light throttle ie: 5th down the highway pretty much in vacume... possiably your turbo going bad, if so its only time before the shaft snaps, better have it checked.

If it was not happening on part throttle it could be, ignition related plugs, wires, coils or even a valve spring.

Take it somewhere to get looked at where they know what they are doing. Better to spend a little money figureing it out then being down a lot on the damages!

Give Sean Ivey a call, set up an appointment. Problem solved!