Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

compression test results from my evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lots of misinformation in this post...

you cant say that every test should result in 180 psi, the reasoning behind this is that every tester will show slightly different. i have 2 testers and on the exact same motor one always reads about 15psi lower than the other tester.

you should only do a "wet" test if one or more of your cylinders is off by 10-15% from the others. if you add a couple drops of oil and the pressure goes up then you have "bad" rings, if the pressure doesnt go anywhere then you are having valve issues

those results look just fine and i wouldnt worry about them
Old Jan 28, 2016, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
So your psi is a bit down and your worried that running e85 will wear it out even faster right? Well yeh it will so you can crawl into the corner roll up into the fetal position and suck your thump with worry, or you can do like we did in the old days, if it's not blowing to much smoke and fowling plugs and using oil, means it's legal and it's still kicking butt well go and get your stuff done and enjoy your car!! I'f your a DIY guy, maybe when one of the things I mentioned changes then start thinking about a pull down and what budget you have and if you want to go with additional hardening ie rods, pistons, beehives, cams and maybe a bigger turbo to take advantage while the motor is down or if you don't have the budget just a set of new rings and a hone, check pistons, reseat valves then back together and off you go, when my time comes I'd wait till I could notice the power drop or oiling problem the pull it down mysel as a project and stroke it, a little DIY mild head work with behives and s2s then if the turbo was still good, keep it and do a nice torquey tune then when the turbo goes, upspec to fp red.
What this guy said. My 9 had lowish compression (120s) and I still went through with my e85 conversion. Car made great power and torque.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 05:30 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I just rebuilt my engine. New rings and hone on a 126k block. My ring gap was at the high end of spec.
145psi across the board. Car runs fine.