Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Street tune VS Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street tune VS Dyno tune

Can a street tune be as good as a dyno tune. I was going to get tuned by ams but dont want to wait till 5/28 so i was going to go to strictly modified but they street tune so im just making sure that street tuning is just as good. Any info on this or strictly modified would be great. Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

From what I heard or was told street tune might be better since the car is getting tuned with actual driving conditions on the car while its getting a tune. but you won't get dyno numbers with it. I'm actually going with a street tune on my car once I get my cams and head studs put in.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dyno tune> street tune
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
dyno tune> street tune
Can you elaborate on your answer? I heard dyno tuning is good but no one really answers why it is lol I'd like to know so I know which one I should get I'm probably in the same boat as the OP.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Man there is a lot of threads on here with this title.
Bottom line: Dyno tuning your car is safer for obvious reasons but issues arise when you have a dyno that cannot properly load the car to immitate real road conditions. Usually these cars will come off the dyno then get some knock on the street where the car see's different load.

That said I street tune. My car will likely never see a dyno. I drive my car on the street. I'll tune my car on the street
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

my car has always been dyno tuned and has never knocked when i drive it on the street. so maybe you should look at the tuner for that problem

the best part of dyno tuning is you can see the progress of your car, as long as you STICK TO THE SAME DYNO. i prefer dyno tuning only cause i dont doing pulls in my car on the street anymore since the car is pretty fast. i dont wanna endanger mine or others lives.

i think it comes down to whoever is tuning the car personal preference
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

safety = dyno tune
real life conditions = street tune

plus on street tune there is no bullshiit correction factors and you dont have to try and figure out if its real whp or not.
I am going to Boostin Performance on friday and Devin offered both tunes but i picked the road tune.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to mention a street tune in all actuality is illegal, I'm sure if you zipped by a cop and he pulled you over he wouldn't care that you were tuning your vehicle, you'd still get the ticket. Yes dyno tuning is more expensive cause of the actual cost but I tried a road tune once and had a bad experience so I'd prefer to stick to dyno tuning for safety
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

I prefer a street tune as the best you can get the car to it's actually capability. I think all cars should be street tuned then put on a dyno to maybe see some numbers and finish a few tweaks.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Street tune to me is the best thing really safety on a dyno is over rated go on youtube and see how many motors pop on a dyno. As for the cops thing i have been pulled over by a cop while tunning and i explained to him exactly what i was doing and i showed him my equipment and he let it go he did tell me to be safe and try to find a road on priviate property or go to the track. Its very simple dont try to tune on the busiest street in town find a place you know well and is secluded. At night is the best. Dyno does show progress but why not street tune frist get it where you think is good then when you have a chance dyno see how you did and perfect your map easy stuff.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

im sorry, but if the car blows on the dyno, it would've blown on the street. that has nothing to do with the dyno
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

I'd imagine a dyno tune is a lot safer for the tuner as well as your car.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Man there is a lot of threads on here with this title.
Bottom line: Dyno tuning your car is safer for obvious reasons but issues arise when you have a dyno that cannot properly load the car to immitate real road conditions. Usually these cars will come off the dyno then get some knock on the street where the car see's different load.

That said I street tune. My car will likely never see a dyno. I drive my car on the street. I'll tune my car on the street
^agreed! I dont like how inconsistent dynos are...dyno tuning is definitely quicker to do especially when back to back tuning sessions are needed to dial a tune in...but that being said I street tune my car and use virtual dyno to give me numbers...like others have said...i drive my car on the road and i'll tune my car on the road
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'd prefer a street tune. But for sake of safety, dyno tune will do.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

So much useless info on here.

Both are completely fine.

Whether you get a street tune or a dyno tune you'll get great results.

BIGGEST difference is obvious..

DYNO - safe because you're not doing 120km/hr or watever the speed may be down a 40, 50 or a 60 zone.

STREET - car see's real street conditions such as wind, which would create more resistance imo, but obviously you have a chance of getting a speeding ticket if you're a total retard.

I always street log. Just go to a spot where office buildings are closed past working hours, drive through with you buddy and check out the parking spots for people and or anyone with authority that might give you trouble, then make a u-turn and rip it.

If you just blindly pick a street and rip it, hoping there's no one around then you're a fool and deserved the ticket to begin with.

-dave

Quick Reply: Street tune VS Dyno tune