Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Double din mounting brackets?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double din mounting brackets?

Hey all,

Just did hvac relocation in my evo 8. Went to put my double din in and forgot that i dont have mounting brackets

What does everyone use? Called mitsu and asked the guy in parts if i can buy stock double din brackets for an evo 8. He kinda laughed and said uhhh evo8/9 only come with a single din lol

So, if you put a double din in ur evo, please tell me what u used to mount it

Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:17 AM

I would also like to know for future reference. They usually come with a cage. That would be fine for a single din, but the doubles usually weigh quite a bit. I installed a double din for a mate with an s15, and we just bought some cheap, thin(ish) right angle brackets from the hardware store and kind of made our own.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 03:36 AM

Yea I went into one audio shop and they told me to do the same thing.. just make my own bracket..
Old Oct 5, 2011, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im also looking into the Double Din Conversion. I know they had the Orbital one, but Im not sure if thats still for sale. Theres some on Ebay, but theyre being sold from the UK. Im not sure about the ones on Ebay.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:19 AM

just installed a double din this weekend. used "corner reinforment" brackets from a hardware store. was about 3 bucks for 4 of them in a pack. worked like a champ, drilled a hole between the 2 holes for the oem bracket and it lined up just right. good luck
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

When I installed my Orbital kit in my evo ix I used the oem brackets from the single din radio. If I recall correctly I had to slot the forward facing holes so that the radio sat in the ideal orientation, but otherwise they worked well.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

i used some hardware store metal brackets, that came in sort of a roll. i got the correct length i just bent them a tad and was able to mount perfectly with no problems. most audio shops will try and be dicks and say they dont have the brackets and they want to do the job for you, but dont listen to that crap. just make your own, its the easiest and cheapest way to do it.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:38 PM
Account Disabled

i used the STOCK brackets... worked perfectly you need to angle them a little but it def works and its a really clean look when its done. No unfortunately i dont have any pictures lol
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used the stock brackets. I just drilled out the holes that fit the double din depth and angle wise. Measure twice drill once!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info. This is going to be my winter project
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
as popular as this mod is some one should post a DIY thread with pictures. in the next 2 weeks i should have my double din face plate from http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_d...UMBER=00022810 then the head unit/tv. i already received my HVAC relocation kit so i say 2 weeks and i should be able to provide parts list and pictures of the install. i plan to try to use factory brackets if possible if not expect pictures of custom fab brackets from auto/hardware stores.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

I just installed mine last night, I used stock bracket, my radio had a couple sets of holes on the side so I used one of the top hole towards the front of the radio and the bottom hole towards the back of the radio, so the bracket will angle upwards towards the front. Now the only issue I had was that the hole for the double din face plate bezel is slightly larger than my radio, there is a small gap around the face of the radio, so I am kinda puzzled, does not look like a clean install.

Last edited by MyEvo8Urs; Nov 26, 2011 at 04:27 AM.