Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What WHP Does One Need to Keep Up With a 600cc Bike?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddyCain
I think that sums it up the best.

Just for reference, it's going to take about 750-850whp to keep up with a Busa, and that's probably not beating it. If it's a modified busa making 200-250whp, it's going to take about 1000-1100whp to keep up. And if the busa is making 300ish whp, it's going to take about 1400whp or so to keep up. But that's just absurd to even talk about.
Well I can tell you for a fact That a 3rd gen ZX10 can beat a Switzer E900 R35 GTR from 60-180 and they make 850 whp. The GTR did hang pretty damn good tho.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4xforce
Exactly like my setup and my experience with 600's. Their top end is pretty weak and the bikes I'm talking about have been newer 600's. The closest one was a really new GSXR 600 and he was ever so slowly falling back on the top end.
600's do have low top ends for obvious reasons. on top of that, many bike owners change their chain/sprockets for better acceleration (lower top end). most bikes out there aren't stock. you get a 600 with a full system, PC, and a quick shifter then i hope you bring at least 450whp to stand a chance. then again, if the motorcycle rider can't ride, it doesn't matter what bike it is.

i have a dedicated track bike, 07 gsxr600. stock motor, just bolt on's and she flies. i'll top out before a car will, but in the 20-100mph i'll give you a run for your money.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by casper3043
600's do have low top ends for obvious reasons. on top of that, many bike owners change their chain/sprockets for better acceleration (lower top end). most bikes out there aren't stock. you get a 600 with a full system, PC, and a quick shifter then i hope you bring at least 450whp to stand a chance. then again, if the motorcycle rider can't ride, it doesn't matter what bike it is.

i have a dedicated track bike, 07 gsxr600. stock motor, just bolt on's and she flies. i'll top out before a car will, but in the 20-100mph i'll give you a run for your money.
I agree with all of this. All of my posts reference stock 600's. I'm a 600 man myself. I've never found the need or want to race 1000's. I love how tossable 600's are. They are much better through corners, but do lose to liter bikes on straightaways pretty readily. You would think on an Evo forum people would know what is made to go through turns better than going straight. 600's are just that.

An earlier post also nailed it that some modern 600's are actually getting slower. I know it's true for the newer R6. A 2007 R6 is faster than a 2010 R6 as far as I'm aware.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 09:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I see a lot of information being tossed around in this thread, but little knowledge.

Why hasn't anyone even bothered to mention power to weight? That's the real deciding factor here. Who cares how much power a car has or what quarter mile times it can trap?

All things being equal, the power to weight ratio is all that really matters.

Here is a really easy to use website to that will do ALL of the math for you. You can use it to settle any argument instead of just bench racing:

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phphorsepo...ight_ratio.php

I had this discussion with a colleague a while ago. He went for a ride in my evo and then asked, "This car feels faster than my Ducati. Is that possible?" We went about looking at numbers and realized that his butt dyno was basically broken and his Ducati was considerably faster according to the power to weight ratio.

Also:
Originally Posted by FERNO
ridiculous thread is ridiculous.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

^Obvious mistakes are obvious

You may try to be as technical as possible and give facts like they are always truth, but in the real world hard numbers are not always consistent.

For those of us, like myself, that have been in the real world situation more than once, I feel like I have some kind of point of view that isn't "bench racing". I've been there and done that many times and on average I stand by my numbers.

Power to weight ratio is a great way to prove which vehicle is technically faster. Bravo for pointing out that obvious conclusion. Where you made the mistake is to believe that every race is an "all things being equal" scenario. Or potentially being that scenario. Faster is a relative term. So while that vehicle might technically be faster it very well could have tires on it that made it less so. It could have a driver/rider that can't push it to be faster or lacks the knowledge how. I mean, I know when I'm drag racing I nail my shifts to the 1000th of an rpm consistently every single time. There is almost no way to be all things equal.

Get over yourself and your superior yet ignorant "knowledge". There are thousands of variables that can knock a factually faster vehicle down in speed. Have you never been to the track and gotten worked by a stalled, built auto transmission foxbody? I've been there, where my power to weight ration was definitely higher, but I most certainly saw his taillights at the end of the track.

Last edited by SRTRaceR04; Oct 9, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Ain't that the truth. The car that traps a higher speed doesn't always win the race.

Perfect example. I ran a 13.7@99mph with a 1.82 sixty. The guy I ran against ran a 14.8@105 with a 2.3 sixty. He was in a 350z.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddyCain
Ain't that the truth. The car that traps a higher speed doesn't always win the race.
Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
Get over yourself and your superior yet ignorant "knowledge". There are thousands of variables that can knock a factually faster vehicle down in speed. Have you never been to the track and gotten worked by a stalled, built auto transmission foxbody? I've been there, where my power to weight ration was definitely higher, but I most certainly saw his taillights at the end of the track.
I thought we were talking about flat out? As in, a straight line.

I have no disagreement regarding a car that is slower in a straight line being faster in the twisties.

No need for ad hominem attacks, but whatever flats your boat. Some people live to win at the internets.