Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Able to pass smog with mods?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Able to pass smog with mods?

Whats up evom,I got my 9 RS not long ago and I'm already ready to start modding. My problem is of course I live in CA,and smog is an issue. I wanted to get a feel for exactly what I can get away with,from my fellow CA residents with modded evo's. My car has just a no name catback,and an AEM intake. My plan was to do GSC S1/2's,an 02 housing/3 inch DP,Hallman MBC,Upper and lower IC pipes,and an RRE tune. Would this be overkill? Thanks guys
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

From what I've seen it's possible to get away with all of those mods, as long as you have a cat. You may need to have the tune dialed back a bit, but I've heard people getting by without.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

I got tired of it and just registered my car out of state at my Moms in Tx. After a certain point you stop worrying about smog and start worrying about the Police profiling your car.

On topic. The closer to stock with a CAT your Evo is the higher your chance for passing , either way its a crap shoot.

And then there is always that REF ticket....
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No you guys got it wrong, dont scare him, ok heres what you need to do:
1) any mods you have have a 50 state legal sticker on it (intake) which your aem does
2) have the cat on
3) any mods that are aftermarket present under hood have flat black painted
4) the only issue you might get is for your mbc, thus partially y I had my dejon swapped to a gruppe s 3port
Youll be fine man, as ****ty as our smog regulations are here, were an idle and 3500 rpm test. thats it.

For ****s and giggles 2 years ago I did a smog check with no cat on mine, and mine is modded to the hilt, with no cat on it, and i was only off by 20ppm hc on the 3500 part, at idle it passed. So a lot of you passing is the tune itself. Talk to rre about a 3port instead, because a mbc is an instant fail with a dick smog inspector.
Good luck.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the pointers guys! Im a lot more comfortable now going ahead with my plans. Ill definitely look into that 3 port instead of the MBC. Thanks again!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
No you guys got it wrong, dont scare him, ok heres what you need to do:
1) any mods you have have a 50 state legal sticker on it (intake) which your aem does
2) have the cat on
3) any mods that are aftermarket present under hood have flat black painted
4) the only issue you might get is for your mbc, thus partially y I had my dejon swapped to a gruppe s 3port
Youll be fine man, as ****ty as our smog regulations are here, were an idle and 3500 rpm test. thats it.

For ****s and giggles 2 years ago I did a smog check with no cat on mine, and mine is modded to the hilt, with no cat on it, and i was only off by 20ppm hc on the 3500 part, at idle it passed. So a lot of you passing is the tune itself. Talk to rre about a 3port instead, because a mbc is an instant fail with a dick smog inspector.
Good luck.
I don't see where I was trying to scare him. You pretty much agreed with me.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

So a couple weeks ago I got smogged by merely putting on my stock exhaust (full turbo back w/cat)....THAT'S IT. I didn't change the tune, didn't change or remove any parts. Now it helped that the guy wasn't stringent about visual, but the sniffer passed BELOW average emissions of similar cars.

So bottom line, visual will be your worst enemy. And unfortunately, here in Ca they're switching to OBDII and visual ONLY starting in 2013
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostless
So a couple weeks ago I got smogged by merely putting on my stock exhaust (full turbo back w/cat)....THAT'S IT. I didn't change the tune, didn't change or remove any parts. Now it helped that the guy wasn't stringent about visual, but the sniffer passed BELOW average emissions of similar cars.

So bottom line, visual will be your worst enemy. And unfortunately, here in Ca they're switching to OBDII and visual ONLY starting in 2013
Thanks for the note about passing with the tune! Is your idle spot-on with the tune? Sometimes mine is a bit higher (~900). Was told by Naji that's just how it is.

What do you mean switching to OBDII and visual only? No more sniffer? They connect to the computer now so how will it be different?

Edit: Found more info. Basically if the CEL is not on, and you pass visual, you pass. That is awesome.

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2010/...-check-program
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my sticker put on the other day(TX)and they dont put the sniffer they just check the obd2 for any codes. I dont even have a cat and mods in sig.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i passed with flying colors on e85.
my mods were gsc s1 cams, tbe with high flow cat, 1kcc injectors, walbro fuel pump, ported/coated exhaust manifold, 3port boost, stock intake pipe with cone filter, ets fmic with l/uicp, tune
my smog tech wasn't **** about the visual though