Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do Evos ecu store data?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Evos ecu store data?

I had my tps back off on my 03 Viii and it ran bad then I slowly drove it the mile home and finally found out it was that, but when I plugged it back in it still runs bad, do I need to clear my ecu's data bc it didn't throw a light but might it still be hidden in there?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Yeah, it does store data so disconnecting the battery is probably a good idea. However, the idle will also be messed up by disconnecting the battery. You normally need to drive a little in stop and go traffic before the idle resets.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:31 PM

It won't mess with the tune at all from doing that?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. The tune is in programmable memory. It will stay indefinitely.

-Acree
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by DrDeC
No the tune is "handwritten" into the Ecubanks hence the term "flashed."

Edit: I'm always late
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
Former Sponsor

The only exception to the rule is that Evo VIIIs you have to disconnect the battery when scaling the injectors and fuel trims. Most of the time it doesn't take without doing that from my experience.

Mikey
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrDeC
I wouldnt think so especially if the ecu is flashed properly.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:59 PM

Usually disconnecting overnight, or disconnecting and hold the brake pedal to discharge any remaining power from the capacitors seems to be the best way to reset IMHO.

As mentioned, the tune is stored in flash-able EPROM, and won't be affected by this.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:16 AM

I disconnected the battery for two hours and it didn't seem to help, should I try longer? :/
Old May 1, 2012, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What do you mean by it is running bad? There are countless things that could be wrong
Old May 1, 2012, 10:03 AM

Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting won't immediately change it I don't think. You need to complete a couple drive cycles in order for everything to relearn. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:19 PM

Okay I'll just tell the whole story then, maybe it will help lol. I was turning right onto the highway (like the wide long right ring style), I actually wasn't flooring it lol I was driving an average speed for a guy, And when I straightened out onto the highway and gave it about 3/4 throttle the car started to sound weird almost like it was bogging out, I pulled over and when I came to a stop the oil light came on so I killed the engine immediately and the car tried to die (like when you stall) before that. So I got out and checked all of the piping and oil and fluid levels and it all checked out. So then I had my dad, who has been around cars much longer than me but never an evo came up and we started it up, this time no oil light and it idled fine so I slowly creeped it home. During the ride we tried a couple things to see what was going on, at half throttle the car runs fine up until 3k then it acts like it's bogging out and the car does not accelerate with any more throttle applied only slows. And the turbo gets red and hot from doing this (noticed this when I popped the hood originally when i stopped the car). So when we got back we checked all the piping and pulled the cam cover, it's on time and nothing looked astray, so we put it back together, while looking around I noticed the TPS was off most of the way (the clip is gone now so if anyone has one I PLEASE PM me so I can buy it from you ..) So I put it back on and after an hour of being mocked for not noticing it, we started up the car and it still acted the same way it did before, so I asked the original post to see if it could have stored the error and how to clear it. So I disconnected the positive and left it for about 2 hrs and came back, it continues to do it. Even while sitting if you take it up to 3k it makes the noise. So if you know what else it could be or if I need to unplug it longer let me know what you think!
Old May 1, 2012, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Redo the intercooler pipes, just because they look tight and not leaking doesn't mean anything. What it sounds like to me is a boost leak if the car will not go over 3000 rpm and bogs.
Old May 1, 2012, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

spark plugs....

you check for fouled spark plugs? i had my plugs go bad and my car did the exact same thing, bogged and missed, changed to one step colder plugs and now it runs great.

and when ever i unplug my battery and the car is "LEARNING" its new idle. i turn everything on a/c headlights brights crank the stereo and let the idle move it self back up, i do that while in park.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:31 PM

It does it while sitting out of gear though so wouldn't that mean boost had no part in it?

Quick Reply: Do Evos ecu store data?