Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

stalling/idle dip problem

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stalling/idle dip problem

i have 272 cams, and my car wants to stall with the ac when rolling then putting the car in neutral sometimes, would it not stall if i come to a roll then put it in nuetral im confused bc the car has a good tune?? the idle dips sometime anyway im confused bc it has a good tune by a reputable person. is it bad to throw the car in neutral when going fast coming to a stop? is that whats causing the idle dip?
Old May 17, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
i have 272 cams, and my car wants to stall with the ac when rolling then putting the car in neutral sometimes, would it not stall if i come to a roll then put it in nuetral im confused bc the car has a good tune?? the idle dips sometime anyway im confused bc it has a good tune by a reputable person. is it bad to throw the car in neutral when going fast coming to a stop? is that whats causing the idle dip?
check the idle servo. It's either dirty or failing.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you on stock MAF with a VTA bov?
Old May 17, 2012, 06:14 PM

I have the same problem but I'm on stock cams. It turned out just to be the IAC Sensor, but the problem is returning. Im currently running a Greddy RS Blow off Valve to 100% Atmosphere. Could this cause a problem with idling or drivability and would I need a retune if I got a TurboSmart 50/50?
Old May 17, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by asu11
Are you on stock MAF with a VTA bov?
yes i believe its a stock maf with a evo 9 dv, and i think i know what my problem is i have a tendency to put the car in nuetral when rolling was and for some reason makes it dip down sometimes if i come to almost a stop in gear then neutral its fine the problem seems to be when moving.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackDismay
I have the same problem but I'm on stock cams. It turned out just to be the IAC Sensor, but the problem is returning. Im currently running a Greddy RS Blow off Valve to 100% Atmosphere. Could this cause a problem with idling or drivability and would I need a retune if I got a TurboSmart 50/50?
Yes! If you running MAF with VTA you car will nearly stall after acceleration then going to neutral. The only way you can really remedy this issue is going speed density.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

yes i believe its a stock maf with a evo 9 dv, and i think i know what my problem is i have a tendency to put the car in nuetral when rolling was and for some reason makes it dip down sometimes if i come to almost a stop in gear then neutral its fine the problem seems to be when moving.
This what I did and it fixed mine.

Take the neg battery of for a few mins.
Then plug it back in. And as soon as you start the car put the a/c on full blast loud music, brights. It will idle horribly but just watch your tach. The idle will start to increase and smooth out. When it smooth out start turning your wheel full left then right the idle will drop again then slowly come it. Your car leans the idle positions and should be good to go. If not then its your sensor
Old May 17, 2012, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastyouth1313
This what I did and it fixed mine.

Take the neg battery of for a few mins.
Then plug it back in. And as soon as you start the car put the a/c on full blast loud music, brights. It will idle horribly but just watch your tach. The idle will start to increase and smooth out. When it smooth out start turning your wheel full left then right the idle will drop again then slowly come it. Your car leans the idle positions and should be good to go. If not then its your sensor
how will this affect it later on at stop signs etc. im confused btw my car is very on target with idle at 1100 its never all over the place and idles about the same with a/c. is there a sensor i can clean or something?
Old May 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

how will this affect it later on at stop signs etc. im confused btw my car is very on target with idle at 1100 its never all over the place and idles about the same with a/c. is there a sensor i can clean or something?
You can clean you MAF you cleaner it might help or the ones on your TB. I'm telling try the battery trick it worked on mine it would idle fine but after acleration it would dip and nearly stall, a guy recommend this to me and it worked
Old May 17, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastyouth1313
You can clean you MAF you cleaner it might help or the ones on your TB. I'm telling try the battery trick it worked on mine it would idle fine but after acleration it would dip and nearly stall, a guy recommend this to me and it worked

ok ill try it tomrrow you said disconnect the negative battery terminal for like 5 minutes?
Old May 17, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yea 5 is good. I'm not gaurenteing a fix but it's free to try and it worked on mine. Even if it does still just accel all little bit the go to neutral with the AC on and let it climb back up in rpms, also check and make sure the clamp around the turbo inlet is tight if it's leaking out there it will cause these same symptoms.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a exact same issue. Its worst if i put my A/C at 3 or 4 in during the day (100 degree)
Have you find anything?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Try tightening the intake going to the turbo worked a little for me, and dont throw the car into neutral when moving fast come to almost a complete stop it should avoid the idle dip, helped me a bit.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If You have large cams running MAF that's expected switch to sd!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:33 PM

I'd check your sensors before doing any type of stunts

Quick Reply: stalling/idle dip problem