Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Temp Up and Down

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Temp Up and Down

So I drove about 45min (with no issues) out to watch fireworks tonight and afterward started my car and was stuck in traffic idling when I saw my temp gauge climb extremely quickly so I shut off the car off for a few then turned it back on and the temp sat normal for a few minutes then climbed again. Checked under the car and didn't see anything leaking and popped the hood and no weird smells/abnormal temps just putting my hands over top and feeling the heat coming off.

Once I got out of traffic a bit it sat normal temp for a while then climbed then went back down then climbed again over and over. Speed/RPM didn't seem to effect whether or not it climbed or went down. Coolant level is good but the coolant hose felt REALLY hot when I checked that later. Any ideas? Just seems weird for it to spike then go down and be normal then go up again like was. Recently had a clutch job but that really wouldn't affect anything that involves engine temp...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Thermostat. Someone skipped their 60k service.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:45 PM

^Probably thermostat
Old Jul 5, 2012, 07:42 AM

x3 on the T-stat. Its opening at times to cool the car, then seizing back up and causing the car to over heat. The hot rad hose also leads me to believe its the t-stat because the t-stat was keeping the coolant in the hose from circulating through the radiator. just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

60k service was done. I'm at 107k now so if I hadn't done that my car would've exploded by now. Getting to the 120k mark where ill get it done again. I will look into the thermostat though, thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Replaced the Thermostat. New coolant and everything. Car is still spiking on the temperature gauge... Weird thing is that when I turn the car off then back on once the temp goes up, it resets to the normal temp within a split second. Would this be a sensor issue? Or possibly a gauge gone bad?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air on the system, coolant temp sensor or gauge reading incorrectly.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

I would let the car cool down overnight then take off the radiator cap and start the car and let it warm up you may get a little coolant overflow but i doubt it and if any air is in there it will burp out. You can help it along by gently squeezing the upper hose. I had a random spike the other day on my gauge also and when i turned off the ac it immediately dropped to normal and hasn't acted up since. It was 113 heat index also so i'm sure that didn't help things. Good luck bro!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by svt_lightning01
I would let the car cool down overnight then take off the radiator cap and start the car and let it warm up you may get a little coolant overflow but i doubt it and if any air is in there it will burp out. You can help it along by gently squeezing the upper hose. I had a random spike the other day on my gauge also and when i turned off the ac it immediately dropped to normal and hasn't acted up since. It was 113 heat index also so i'm sure that didn't help things. Good luck bro!
Went to go do this after letting the car sit all night and the radiator started to overflow right as I unscrewed the cap without the car running... could it be the car was just that hot from the sun? Or is it something else? Fluid levels are still good too. Also, how safe is it to keep driving the car with this issue IYO? It is my DD so I need it for the 15min drive to work.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Check the female clip on the sending unit, it may be loose. It's right in the area where the transmission is, so it's not impossible to bump.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check your ground wire from your intake manifold to firewall ground.. i left mine off and had the same issue, made the gauge read all weird like that
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

The fluid will be up to the very top of the cap so some would come out however once you let some out and the level has backed off 2-3" into the radiator from the top you can start The car and do like I said. if there is air it should burp it out like this. If this doesn't have any air in it the temp sensors are like $25 at advance I think if I'm not mistaken. This is what I would try first since the first is free and second option is relatively cheap
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:24 PM

Sounds like the spike of the temp gauge is a common issue with Evo's yes?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by InoNothingMR
Went to go do this after letting the car sit all night and the radiator started to overflow right as I unscrewed the cap without the car running... could it be the car was just that hot from the sun? Or is it something else? Fluid levels are still good too. Also, how safe is it to keep driving the car with this issue IYO? It is my DD so I need it for the 15min drive to work.
Well, you have a very good radiator cap. It held pressure all night.

Coolant is incompressible but expands with heat. Once the engine is cold you will always have vacuum in the cooling system.

Air is compressible. To have pressure after sitting all night the cooling system must contain air.

If the jug has coolant in it then where is the air coming from. I say HG.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by psphinx81
check your ground wire from your intake manifold to firewall ground.. i left mine off and had the same issue, made the gauge read all weird like that
Ended up being this... Wish I would have looked at this before spending the money on a new Thermostat. Oh well! Tugged on the wire and it basically popped right off. Sometimes I guess its the little things! Thanks for the help/advice.