Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Randomly dies.....tried almost everything. help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Randomly dies.....Engine keeps flooding-

i have a jdm evo 8. Had it for about 3 years and this is the first time this is happening.
While driving it will just die. If try to start back right away the engine will jsut tumble. After 1 min or so passes it will start. Now since i started getting this problem i have done the following trying to fix the problem.
All fuses - good
Changed fuel pump
Changed crank sensor
Changed cam sensor

And the car still dies randomly after done all that......i'm really at a lost here
Any help guys? Car idles normal

Last edited by red_evo_hoe; Oct 13, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

My buddy had the same problem with his rx7. We tried everything even changed out complete fuel system but it eventually turned out to be a electrical problem.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check connections at the driver left foot well.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:23 AM

Give us more details about your car, mods, is it tuned, any data logging, etc
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:44 AM

mods is jus a turboback exhaust, ecutek flash over. did a diagnostic and no error codes came up. Some days it will work good with no cutting off. Other days it may cut off. Its very random.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

It may sound dumb and very simple, but check your battery terminals. In one of my old cars I had an issue with it stalling out at random times and turns out thats what it was.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:00 PM

battery terminals are good. Carried it by an electrician today. he said the cause of it was the alarm installed in the car (viper) the alarm causing something to short out which would cause it to cut off. you hear the alarm beep as well when it cuts off.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

This happened to me once do you have aem wideband? maybe. Idk but my car randmly started doing this tried everything also finally I was like screw it ill get it tuned maybe it's that when I took it to my tuner he said my wideband was either sending false messages or recieving false mesages I cant remember saying my car is running too rich in fuel causing my car to cut it's fuel supply off and jus die randomly sometimes so he tweaked it some here and there and temporarily unplugged my wideband and works fine has not happened since.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by red_evo_hoe
mods is jus a turboback exhaust, ecutek flash over. did a diagnostic and no error codes came up. Some days it will work good with no cutting off. Other days it may cut off. Its very random.
sorry didnt see this post when I made my last one if all else fails still try to get it tuned might help and never hurts to get a good tune.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Does you evo have a light flywheel? I use to get the same problem on my evo. I called up my tuner RSmotor and he told me to take the positive termanal off for 15min then put it back and started and let it run for 15min without stepping on the gas or anything.. Then shut it off then restarted and take it for a test drive.. Hope that help..
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:40 AM

well i think that i have found the problem. The car came with a viper alarm installed in it. The electrician said teh kill switch relay for the alarm was malfunctioning and that is what was causing the car to shut off randomly... so weird.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 03:56 AM

ok well the alarm isnt the issue. Car worked fine for 2 days after removing the old alarm and installing a new one. last night it cut off on me twice. When it cuts off and try to start it back it wont it will just tumble. Then i take out the car switch off the ignition unlcok the alarm and then it starts. Happened to me twice last night. Any ideas? I'm assuming its the alarm but its a brand new alarm installed a few days ago by a professional.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
it could be the TPS(throttle position sensor) i had one with a loose connection and it did the same thing, i tightened it up it was missing the metal retaining clip. the problems went away. if the TPS is bad it will act the same way.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 04:38 AM

is our idle stable? if it jumps around a bit it might be your idle air control valve. that's what happened to me, i would randomly stall sometime it would drop to 300-400 then recover.

to check the valve (its on your throttle body) carefully remove the 3 screws and turn the ignition to on don't crank it, i had my friend turn the ignition so i could see if the IACV piston moved. it might be this or it may not, i hope this helps.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 07:10 PM

Checked the TPS its good.
my idle is good. it does not jump around or anything.
Any other? ecu perhaps?

Quick Reply: Evo Randomly dies.....tried almost everything. help