Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intermittent Starting Problems - Mysterious Cause Identified and Fixed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn just happened again, I dunno it's 100 out today n now it's been sitting for like an hour see if she starts on first try this time.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If for some reason this doesn't fix the issue for someone, PM me. I've found another thing that I haven't' seen anyone suggest that fixed my problem. All this after replacing the battery twice, the starter 3 times, the ignition switch, the ignition relay, the grounds, I even added grounds to the starter... I don't want to hijack this thread cause this is some awesome info!
The following 2 users liked this post by wazzelby:
deepee1 (Jun 14, 2021), WelDun1 (Jan 23, 2023)
Old Sep 9, 2012, 03:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
The only time it's happened to me since I fixed the switch situation is once when I didn't have the key inserted all the way into the slot. I realized that as soon as I did it. With other cars I've owned, the key cannot be turned unless it is inserted completely. Not so with this one. That will result in just a 'click' every time.
The following users liked this post:
deepee1 (Jun 14, 2021)
Old Sep 9, 2012, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Props to the OP. been having this issue for about a year now. Gonna tear into it tomorrow.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
So long as the three anchor screws are removed from the lower section (look at it from underneath), the lower and upper halves will split with a bit of effort.
are these screws located where the tilt lever is ?? and after they are taken off the top and bottom of the column can b split open/off ??
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:42 AM
EvoM Guru

That is correct. One on either side of the tilt lever, then one inside that deep recess. Remove the top cover first.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Remove the starter switch (angled phillips wrench) and activate it with the key while holding in your hand. If you find the car starts every time, you've found the problem."

Sorry again for the newb question, but what does this tell us? can't i just tighten up the screw clockwise and put everything back together and see if the problems solved ? :S this problem sounds exactly like mine, but im not sure what exactly to do to fix it lol ! but sounds like i just tighten that screw clockwise til its tight ?? sorry ted !
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The barrel behind the key has a minute crack near a contact. It needs to be changed. It's white and has an electrical clip in the back with 5 pins (I think, it's been a while).
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by elim0
Sorry again for the newb question, but what does this tell us? can't i just tighten up the screw clockwise and put everything back together and see if the problems solved ? :S this problem sounds exactly like mine, but im not sure what exactly to do to fix it lol ! but sounds like i just tighten that screw clockwise til its tight ?? sorry ted !
Removing the switch and repeatedly activating it while holding it in your hand ensures that the problem isn't caused by a bad switch. It's possible for the switch itself to go bad, although that probably isn't the issue. It's more likely that the switch is just loose enough to cause the problem, but I am giving you these steps so you can be thorough in your identification of the source of the issue.
deepee1 (Jun 14, 2021)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Ted! I've been having this issue for what feels like years now. If this fixes it I'm PMing you to see if I can give you a rediculous deal on parts!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Already responded in this thread. *self edit*

Last edited by crazybaldhead; Nov 15, 2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Already posted.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Mine didn't work after a while I noticed it takes some wiggling of my key in the ignition switch to get it to fire up. Looks like I'm gonna replace that first n then go from there......I think that's my issue, considering certain wiggling will cause a dead battery style click, but other times I can hear the pump priming with that tiny whine, then after a few times or more it fires up like nothing. Any thoughts on other possibilities....?? Not to hijack the thread but I love drivin my car, although the slowly built up frustration of drivin a beast that doesn't wanna start on you consistently....its enough for me to kick it or **** on it....haha jk.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

You've described the situation I had - turn key, sometimes pump primes, other times just a sickening click.

Check the switch itself by removing it, and using the tip of the key to turn it while in your hand. If nothing changes, the switch is probably bad. If it starts every time, my fix will clear the problem.

BTW, since becoming aware of the wiggling switch issue and fixing it, the starting issues have not returned. The one-screw mounting arrangement for the switch just want the best idea.

Added Note: I should mention that all that wiggling and arcing in my original switch eventually ruined it, so be advised!

Last edited by Ted B; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
deepee1 (Jun 14, 2021)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Got any pics of where ur referrin too ted?? I tried ur method n worked for a while it seems either the switch is.bad, or maybe some of the keys in the tumbler are sticking or something.... Haven't driven it in 5 days till today did it once thus far....sigh.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Everything you need to see is in the OP. Follow the procedure. It's not complicated.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting Problems - Mysterious Cause Identified and Fixed