Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intermittent Starting Problems - Mysterious Cause Identified and Fixed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man I've had this problem for three years! It is so frustrating and embarrassing being stuck outside when it's 115 degrees in phoenix sweating trying to start the car!

I've seen numerous post about this same issue and no one has given a solution until you have. Is there anyway we can request to the mods to make this a sticky? because it deserves it!

I owe you some beers bro! I hope your good deeds can come back to you somehow.

Originally Posted by Ted B
If there was any visible movement whatsoever, that was your problem. Believe it.

When the interior is hot, the retaining ring that holds the starter switch expands slightly, which allows greater movement of the switch.

Can't argue with either of those assessments. Now, about that 'pack of beers' ...
The following users liked this post:
deepee1 (Jun 14, 2021)
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great information. struggled with this issue for quite sometime before it mysteriously went away. i'll check this out when i get a chance, as the issue comes back from time to time.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

This fixed my issue!!!! thanks Ted.

Last edited by evo_rc; Sep 6, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
deepee1 (Jun 14, 2021)
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
took the column covers off and checked the switch. i couldnt get the problem to happen so i grabbed the switch and moved it around but the problem still wouldnt happen. so weird.

there is so much movement in that switch its crazy but it still wouldnt cause a no start. i guess ill just have to wait for a no start day and mess with the ignition switch then
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
If you can't induce a no-start at the switch, you've still learned something about your situation. What I suggest you do is as follows:

1) Reassemble the starter switch assembly as per my instructions in the OP, which should guarantee it from not being the cause of a no-start.

2) If the no-start reoccurs, stop what you're doing. Try to start 2-3 more times to be sure it's repeatable. Unplug the clutch switch, and try again. If it starts on the first try after that, the clutch switch is likely the problem. Try to repeat the scenario to be certain.

3) If removing the clutch switch makes no change, follow my 3-step troubleshooting instructions in post #10. That will tell you which side of the firewall the problem lies. Knowing that is half the battle.
deepee1 (Jun 14, 2021)
Old Sep 6, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
If you can't induce a no-start at the switch, you've still learned something about your situation. What I suggest you do is as follows:

1) Reassemble the starter switch assembly as per my instructions in the OP, which should guarantee it from not being the cause of a no-start.

2) If the no-start reoccurs, stop what you're doing. Try to start 2-3 more times to be sure it's repeatable. Unplug the clutch switch, and try again. If it starts on the first try after that, the clutch switch is likely the problem. Try to repeat the scenario to be certain.

3) If removing the clutch switch makes no change, follow my 3-step troubleshooting instructions in post #10. That will tell you which side of the firewall the problem lies. Knowing that is half the battle.
ill try all that once the no start occurs although i highly doubt it would be the clutch switch. i have a relay in line at the clutch switch tied into my alarm so i can remote start. iv tried to remote start it during the no start which would bypass the clutch switch and it still does the same one click and no start.

i will still check it all and follow your steps when it happens again.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

evorc s problem sounds much like mine, especially the part about happening more often in hot weather.
sorry for the newb post but theres a few things i would like to ask to confirm.

take off steering wheel cover/column to reveal wires. switch should b visable. tighten the single bolt on starter switch and remove the white connector assembly from it to remove tension ??

thanks guys !
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elim0
evorc s problem sounds much like mine, especially the part about happening more often in hot weather.
sorry for the newb post but theres a few things i would like to ask to confirm.

take off steering wheel cover/column to reveal wires. switch should b visable. tighten the single bolt on starter switch and remove the white connector assembly from it to remove tension ??

thanks guys !
Yeah this for sure fixed my issue. About your question, removing the white connector is really optional. If it's causing tension, yes remove it. I didn't remove it on mind, but I also verified that it is causing no tension whatsoever. I also verified that the wires off the starter switch are pushed upward rather down that causes tension. Before you tighten the screw, loosen it a little then re-position it clockwise as much as it allows then hold it with one hand while the other hand is tightening the screw. Hopefully, this is your issue and not the battery or starter.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by elim0
Correct. Look for three phillips screws on the bottom half of the column cover. Remove those, and the two halves will separate with a bit of effort. You will need an angled philips to get to the starter switch anchor screw. Be sure to rotate switch as far clockwise as it allows before tigthening.
deepee1 (Jun 14, 2021)
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Ted if I ever meet u I'm gettin u high or I'm buyin u a few beers. Haha This simple fix which took me 30 mins, saved me past 5 months of intermittent no click or crank, at certain times. Now what I did that's slightly different I have a steering column pod I took both of those pigtails zip tied them up to the boost gauge line to keep them from wiggling the switch itself down. But I tried it 10 times, let it run for a min, shut it off waited turned to on cranked fired up everything. Good job on the find. Reasons like this I keep comin back to find out info n to help others also.
deepee1 (Jun 14, 2021)
Old Sep 8, 2012, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

cheers guys, ill try it and see if it fixes it !

edit: do i NEED a angled phillips head .. cant i use a normal one? small ? duno if i got an angled one .. :S

Last edited by elim0; Sep 8, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:19 AM

Suscribed
Old Sep 8, 2012, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Don't need an angled Phillips, two screws drop off part of dash under steering column then it's 3 screw under lower steering cover then a bit of wiggling and its out and exposed. After that a 3 to 4 in screwdriver will work.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

anyone have any pictures of how to get the column/shaft off ? sorry for the newb question, i tried today but had trouble :S lollll
Old Sep 9, 2012, 06:58 AM
EvoM Guru

So long as the three anchor screws are removed from the lower section (look at it from underneath), the lower and upper halves will split with a bit of effort.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting Problems - Mysterious Cause Identified and Fixed