Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

WB Gauge vs. EvoScan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
WB Gauge vs. EvoScan

I've had an LC-1 WB programmer hooked up in my car for over a month and have been datalogging with it. Yesterday I finally got around to installing the DB gauge that came with it along with my digital boost gauge. Before I started the car up I recalibrated the LC-1 as I had pulled off my downpipe and subsequently uninstalled my WB sensor. It recalibrated and I thought all was well. I then fired up the car and the wideband gauge was reading 8.0-9.0 at idle and would dip below 7.4 and just keep flashing at cruise. Knowing that my LC-1 was outputting correctly to EvoScan I figured I screwed something up while calibrating. So, I let the car sit for 24 hours before I could recalibrate.

I hopped in my car today and recalibrated it. Started it up and the same 8.0-9.0 AFRs were showing on the gauge. I then decided to grab my laptop and see what the LC-1 was outputting to EvoScan. The LC-1 is outputting the correct values to EvoScan. So, I'm stuck as to what's happening in the gauge circuit. I checked my analog connection and it's connected to the brown wire as per the instructions. The boost gauge works correctly (displays the same as EvoScan) and shares the same ground and power as the DB gauge. I left my LC-1 on a separate fused power route when I installed the gauges but it shares the same ground.

Could the two different power sources be causing this? Any other ideas? I don't have time to rewire it during the week so I'll have to wait until this weekend to troubleshoot. Any input is greatly appreciated as I'm stumped and curious and would love to figure out the problem before the weekend.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So if I'm reading your OP correct... Your DB gauge is not displaying the same AFR as Evoscan? If so, check your + | - points for the gauge, with a multimeter. Reconnect /clean connection points, to see if that changes anything.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Do not use the same grounding points. The LC-1 needs to be on a totally different ground than other accessories.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:37 AM
EvoM Guru

The LC-1 Manual says "Note: The LC-1’s heater ground and system ground wires should share the same grounding location of the analog input’s ground.". I'm going to open up the LC-1 with the LM Programmer and make sure the defaults aren't somehow messed up for the analog outs. Then I'll check the voltage I'm getting from the brown wire and make sure it matches per the 0-5V, 7.35 - 22.39AFR. If all else fails I'll rewire the guage.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You said you grounded it with the wires from the boost gauge. I have owned 2 LC-1s in the past so I am well aware of what the manual states.

"The boost gauge works correctly (displays the same as EvoScan) and shares the same ground and power as the DB gauge. I left my LC-1 on a separate fused power route when I installed the gauges but it shares the same ground."
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Alright, I tried two other grounding points and the gauge still does not read correctly. The LC-1 is sending the proper voltage (2.5 V) at idle. The gauges are grounded on the metal brace under the steering wheel. The LC-1 is grounded on the body to the left of the fuse box under the dash where there's already two grounded connections. I am actually going to order the MTX-L kit to match my MTX-D boost gauge, but would like to confirm this guage works before I try to sell it. Can you recommend me a better spot for grounding the LC-1?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
Alright, I tried two other grounding points and the gauge still does not read correctly. The LC-1 is sending the proper voltage (2.5 V) at idle. The gauges are grounded on the metal brace under the steering wheel. The LC-1 is grounded on the body to the left of the fuse box under the dash where there's already two grounded connections. I am actually going to order the MTX-L kit to match my MTX-D boost gauge, but would like to confirm this guage works before I try to sell it. Can you recommend me a better spot for grounding the LC-1?
yep run a wire to the block. It is what innovate recoimmends.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
Wire the gauge to the fuse blocks' ground. And the analogs output negative wire to the ECUs' ground. Never heard of it being grounded to the block.. If all of the grounding points youve tried failed, the gauge must be defective. Especially if its reading correctly in Evoscan. Send it back to innovative if all else, or speak to their tech dept. for further assistance.

Last edited by BEKevo; Apr 27, 2013 at 09:14 PM.