Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another 2003 gone... RIP SpazEvo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another 2003 gone... RIP SpazEvo

Well, the car was written off during the first HPDE session on Saturday morning at Brainerd International Raceway. The standard off-the-shelf DOT4 brake fluid flash boiled with no warning signs, and I had no brake pedal going into turn 12. I threw the car sideways in the grass to keep from going head-on into the wall, and ended up impacting passenger side first at around 80mph. I was able to walk away with assistance. I have multiple non-displaced pelvic fractures and some lower abdominal pain/bruising from the seat belt, but I'm otherwise fine, have been discharged on crutches, and am getting around the house with little assistance otherwise.

I do not know what the fate of the car will be until insurance looks at it on Friday, but if they decide to deny the claim I do have some other options. I'll keep people posted on both the car and myself.

Here're some carnage pics, since everyone loves those :P

ZOMG guys I'm hellflush, worship me!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atleast you're okay bro, and I appreciate the good humor you have about it. Hopefully everything works out in your favor man. Couldn't imagine the thoughts you had while it was happening
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**** that sucks.. Sorry to hear about the car but glad to see you made it out well. Good choice on you to avoid the head on into the wall.

The car Looks totalled, but hey time for a new project . Let me know when you will be having a part out thread, would love to see what you have.

Good luck to a speedy recovery.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I do NOT like the carnage pictures. Your car is almost identical to mine... you know what I mean.

Sorry for the accident. Glad you walked away (mostly) unscathed. Hopefully insurance takes care of you. Best of luck!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MarkChamorro
atleast you're okay bro, and I appreciate the good humor you have about it. Hopefully everything works out in your favor man. Couldn't imagine the thoughts you had while it was happening
You've got to make the best of everything. If not, you're going to have a ****ty life.

I had a car in front of me on course, I stepped into the grass to avoid them and instantly knew I was wall-bound with very little run-off. Just threw it sideways and let it come, nothing I could do after, and panicking solves nothing. I've been praised for how calm I was sitting in the car while crews checked things out, so I like to think I handled things pretty well for a first on-track wreck.

Thanks guys!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:10 AM

Damn bro, glad you are okay for the most part. Could have been worse if it wasn't for your quick thinking. Hope your insurance covers it. Keep up posted.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Bro your wheel broke? Shoulda not bought rotas!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:36 AM

Sorry to hear that. At least you are ok.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
cmspaz, I remember your name from when you were on DSMTalk. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but you handled it correctly. All we have in life is the ability to react to things. Glad you're mostly okay.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How fast were you going at moment of impact. That is a hell of a hit for your body to have so much damage.

Glad your ok.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Wow!! Glad to hear you got out relatively ok sir. Wish you a speedy recovery and hope your back in the seat soon
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:23 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you're okay man, and walked away.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

damn man glad you walked away okay. that is a helluva hit. i woulda done the same thing sliding it, though from recent experiences I am leaning toward heads on is "safer" without safety gear.

did you have asm harnesses/bar/full face helmet?

You are definitely taking this with the right attitude, like you said, just got to react. keep your spirits up. at least your alive to be bummed.

if your claiming insurance i would be careful what you post online, though i am sure you have thought of that. keep us posted and speedy recover
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
Bro your wheel broke? Shoulda not bought rotas!
Pretty sure those are the OEM Evo 8 Enkei wheels

To the OP, glad you're alright dude. its a damn shame about your car but now its time for a new project and to get back out on the track. Best of luck to you

Last edited by e_kobz; Sep 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
cmspaz, I remember your name from when you were on DSMTalk. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but you handled it correctly. All we have in life is the ability to react to things. Glad you're mostly okay.
I recognize your name as well. Thanks!

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
How fast were you going at moment of impact. That is a hell of a hit for your body to have so much damage.

Glad your ok.
Thanks. I hit at around 70-80mph sideways.

Originally Posted by boostedtres
damn man glad you walked away okay. that is a helluva hit. i woulda done the same thing sliding it, though from recent experiences I am leaning toward heads on is "safer" without safety gear.

did you have asm harnesses/bar/full face helmet?

You are definitely taking this with the right attitude, like you said, just got to react. keep your spirits up. at least your alive to be bummed.

if your claiming insurance i would be careful what you post online, though i am sure you have thought of that. keep us posted and speedy recover
Stock restraints.

I've been told head-on may have been safer, but at those speeds I had worry of crumble zone intrusion and worse injuries. I took undeniably the harder hit, but will stand by my judgement of it being the less crippling hit. I'd likely have broken legs if I'd gone straight in at that speed.

Quick Reply: Another 2003 gone... RIP SpazEvo