Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Steering Wheel Shake at Highway Speeds.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i head the same think and it was the bushing were going bad
Old Jun 1, 2014, 06:04 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
10-4! The adjustment is very touchy.... won't take hardly any movement to get it too tight. I just used a pair of vise-grips and pinched the input shaft splines. If you constantly turn the shaft back and forth while you spin the adjustment, you will get a feel for where it should be. When it feels good, make sure to hold the adjustment when you go to tighten the jam nut.... it will want to turn in (making the clearance smaller) when you snug up the jam nut.

BTW, I do believe this would be near impossible to do this with the rack bolted to the subframe while in the car.
okay. that's pretty much exactly what i was thinking. my engine comes out next week, so i'm gonna check it then. i'm very sure the play in my steering it due to the rack being out of adjustment.

thanks, man.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I know I've been saying this, but I'm going to try again and put my car in the shop this week to have the rack replaced. It's pretty much a clunking popcorn factory now at slow speeds and I'm about to admit myself to the psych ward soon! I've autocrossed with it since my OP and I'm still alive so, I guess that's a good thing. I'm seeing 245 whp on Virtual Dyno and I guess that's a good thing too, but I really feel inadequate with this problem. Maybe this week ya'll, just maybe.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 09:40 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by truthdweller
I know I've been saying this, but I'm going to try again and put my car in the shop this week to have the rack replaced. It's pretty much a clunking popcorn factory now at slow speeds and I'm about to admit myself to the psych ward soon! I've autocrossed with it since my OP and I'm still alive so, I guess that's a good thing. I'm seeing 245 whp on Virtual Dyno and I guess that's a good thing too, but I really feel inadequate with this problem. Maybe this week ya'll, just maybe.
do you have camber plates?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
do you have camber plates?

Camber Bolts...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Well, it's FINALLY going to happen. I just dropped the car off to have the rack replaced. If anything else reveals itself in the disassembly process I asked that they let me know. Hopefully I can get some pictures and post them. I'll update the thread when I can.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:09 AM
kaj

it was the rack? ouch, man. did you try to adjust it before replacing? good luck, brotha! such a relief to have an annoying defect FINALLY fixed!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I couldn't access the adjustment, and the rack was suspect all along. I just didn't want to accept that that's what it was. So, after many evals and road blocks, I finally committed to it.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 02:55 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by truthdweller
I couldn't access the adjustment, and the rack was suspect all along. I just didn't want to accept that that's what it was. So, after many evals and road blocks, I finally committed to it.
gotcha. well, at least you tried all the cheaper stuff first. swapping racks is no joke.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

I JUST got a phone call saying, "your car is ready," wth?!!! They told me they might get to it today but more than likely tomorrow. I didn't expect this AT ALL! I was going to take pictures tomorrow, etc...guess not!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jun 11, 2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:16 PM
kaj

congrats, dude. drive it home as fast as it will go!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
congrats, dude. drive it home as fast as it will go!
Lol, I'll pick it up tomorrow...and I really don't know how fast this thing'll go. I almost put the needle in the odometer window in the recent past before I ran out of room, so I must have been in the 140+ realm...

Last edited by truthdweller; Jun 12, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Gentlemen...she's HOME!

I still had about 10% doubt lingering that it wasn't the rack, but the 90% assurance gave me peace. When I got the phone call yesterday that she was done, the next thing I asked was whether he had drove it yet. His response was, "Nope, I didn't want to drive it since it was your baby and all." I thought, "Huh, what mechanic doesn't take it for a test drive after doing work on the vehicle, especially as extensive as mine was?" For some reason I didn't question his answer and went to sleep on it. Today, that thought lingered on the way to pick it up and couldn't help but to become uneasy about the whole thing. "Something went wrong," I thought, "He test drove it and it's still the same, and doesn't want to reveal that to me," I murmured to myself.

Well, I'm happy to tell you all that these accusations were unwarranted and I am squeak, clunk, bump, grind, thump free, wohoooooo! I'm scheduled for an alignment tomorrow after first putting this on a dyno for the first time in the morning. I have the old rack in a box in the back of the car and will, at the least, take pictures of it and post them.

Last edited by truthdweller; Jun 12, 2014 at 06:31 PM.