Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help a new Evo Owner out PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help a new Evo Owner out PLEASE!

Ok I'm going to tell the entire situation so if you want the long story short, I'll post a summary at the bottom.

Thank you a ton in advance, I'm half ****ting bricks (can I say that? second post, forgiveness in advance) and half ok because I've read a ton of posts about people with the similar issue and no one jumped off a bridge or sold their Evo so here we go..

I just bought last week from a pvt seller.... This beauty https://imgur.com/a/orYaN 2003 MR Conversion.. Previous vehicles.. 2003 G35 Coupe , 07 Civic Si, 05 Tibruon all 6spds, but nothing boosted.

I definitely consider myself a very skilled driver and maintainer of my vehicles. However my hands on or mechanical knowledge is nowhere near the average Evolution driver; I'm dying to learn even besides my current issue. I have been nonstop reading articles all year when I knew I was just going to finally pull the trigger this year.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
This is what I know about her from seller + paperwork..

86,xxx original miles

MR 6 speed - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch - 7,000 miles

Full DC Sport turbo back exhaust

Evo 9 turbo

Mishimoto full radiator

AMS 3.5 FMIC - 2000 miles

AMS UICP and LICP - 2000 miles

ETS intake w/ Perrin foam filter- non speed density

AMS mini battery kit w/ 6 month old PC680 - 1000 miles

Hallman MBC - 5,000 miles

Sparktech COP - 7,000 miles

Wahlboro 255 fuel pump

Stock BOV

Oil changed every 3,000 with Mobil syn

Plugs just changed with Iridium NGK

Was tuned at Titan Motorsports in Orlando

__________________________________________________ ______________

I had been looking forever and found nothing but beaten, improperly built or maintained, or simply just didn't get a good vibe from the seller. This one was the opposite; amazing shape, awesome seller.

Everything was perfect until yesterday; driving back from an afternoon meeting I was two lights from my house when the idle dropped to .5K and then stalled. She just turned over twice until she finally started but extremely rough. I lagged her maybe a 1/4 mile to the nearest gas station. Kinda nervous I just let her cool for a half hour, checked the oil and inspected whatever I could; everything seemed perfectly fine.

I drove her back home but ever since, I've had the two extremes of rough idles..

As soon as you start her idle is perfectly normal ---> operation temp she is:

. Between 2K and 2.8K, where boost kicks in, holding steady like I'm holding a constant rev of the engine.

. Between 2K and 2.8K bouncing up and down

. Under 1K usually at like .5K, sounding like it's dying (has happened ironically the first time I had this issue(yesterday), and when I parked my car right before I made this post)

I've seen people post about Boost leaks, IAC's, MAF's, recirculating your BOV, Bad Tunes...... How can I start "checking" these things. The car is extremely well maintained and most things were replaced right before I bought it. I'm in a whole new world and almost embracing the issue as my first learning experience, but it also has my way lighter pockets and heart nervous as faack. Please any and all info on my issue, car, or anything else chime in and help me learn. I posted engine bay shots in there so people can see and point out anything. Thanks a ton again guys... On to refreshing the page a million times.

Summary: Bought car perfect week, now idle issue out of nowhere. Like I'm nonstop revving. Help! Thanks Thanks Thanks ...

Vids https://*******/hhYx https://*******/WWMk https://*******/yyZT

Last edited by EAC222; Jul 25, 2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am going to assume that you do not have a tuning cable or anything to check the tune with?

In the videos you posted where it is hovering between 2k and 3k, are you holding the throttle at all or is it doing that all on its own?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you in over your head---do yourself a favor--find a reputable tuner in your area, have the car checked for boost leaks and re-tuned. Sure it will cost you a bit but will find and fix your problem in short order.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by meckert
Sounds like you in over your head---do yourself a favor--find a reputable tuner in your area, have the car checked for boost leaks and re-tuned. Sure it will cost you a bit but will find and fix your problem in short order.
Doesn't sound like I'm "in over my head" sounds like I have something new for the first time. This is obviously the last step in my opinion as it's been recently tuned by a very famous location for doing so. I have a personal mechanic but won't be able to get it to him for a few days; figured I could post and learn in the mean time.

Originally Posted by blockade35
I am going to assume that you do not have a tuning cable or anything to check the tune with?

In the videos you posted where it is hovering between 2k and 3k, are you holding the throttle at all or is it doing that all on its own?
Correct no Tuning cable and in the videos it's 100% idle no foot on the gas at all
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:11 PM

... bad gas?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your story and problem sound very simulator to what I'm going through. I'm replacing the IAVC and checking for boost leaks once I get everything set up. I have a cable in the mail so I'll be checking out the ECU when it gets here. Don't give up. Just go through the steps and search the forums. Everyone starts from somewhere. Just stay motivated.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:29 PM

If it was bad gas it would be spitting and sputtering.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by dothacker81
... bad gas?
Originally Posted by balleronabudget
If it was bad gas it would be spitting and sputtering.
Always shell, been very careful with all fluids added to her. Haven't ran anything over or nailed a speed bump to hit a pipe or something. Literally 100% clean until the low idle happened at the light.

Originally Posted by NoReason
Your story and problem sound very simulator to what I'm going through. I'm replacing the IAVC and checking for boost leaks once I get everything set up. I have a cable in the mail so I'll be checking out the ECU when it gets here. Don't give up. Just go through the steps and search the forums. Everyone starts from somewhere. Just stay motivated.
First off Good Luck with her!
Never giving up, this is the first issue - Just sucks bc it's only been a week and I just bought this to put my G to rest for a little since I've just been pouring cash into her. Just hoping to learn through everyone and solve the problem.

Here's an update: Last action was her having her second low idle (in between a day and a half of the high 2-2.8K idle) as I was parking her she was just about to die but I made it into my spot so I cut her.

I go to test her out and drive to work today whennnnn - She doesn't even start anymore. She turns over a couple times before it shuts down. Go to work - come back, check more couplers and hoses - see nothing; try to start, turn turn nothing. Going to reset the ECU and see if that does anything, just trying to start troubleshooting anything potential.

Last edited by EAC222; Jul 26, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you want to fix it yourself you will have to learn to do some basic tuning. Get tooled up with a cable and software and become familiar with your ECU mapping. It could be lots of things, learn how to do a boost leak test, check your spark, fuel pump, electrical wiring, even do a compression test. Its about checking one thing after the next until your zero in on the cause. My car doesnt start isnt enough info for people in here to tell you whats wrong so its up to you to work it through with ideas from here.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 05:23 PM

sounds like you have a vacuum leak, probably between the throttle plate and head I would guess. be a good area to check. also check your plugs maybe the fouled out from running rough. keep updating im curious to see what the problem is