Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

This Week On my Evo,hints tips and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Week On my Evo,hints tips and thoughts

Hey guys

Ive been a member for about 2 months and have experienced alot in my evo already.
I replaced and fixed the clutch pedal bracket and mounting tab(major PITA) and over this past week I swapped in a new clutch flywheel combo.

I put in a Comp Clutch Stage 3 with matching steel flywheel and so far it is night and day. Awesome feel and pedal travel is great. I followed the step by step provided by evomoto.com and it went as smooth as butter.

If someone is going to be doing a project like this soon here are some of the things I learned and thought i would contribute.

Have someone help! Pulling it was way harder for me than installing was.

If your throwout bearing wavespring/collar are messed up or wont release, pull the rubber boot at the clutch fork to access the pressure plate. Have a buddy spin the engine at the crank until you see a 12mm bolt. Use these tools in this order, 12mm socket(1/4 inch),swivel extenstion and a regular extension about 5 to 6 inches long, and then your ratchet. At times you think it is impossible but i assure you it is not. My throw out bearing seized up and i broke the collar with a screwdriver trying to release it. So i used this method to remove the tranny. Once you remove all six bolts from the pressure plate the tranny will slide off.

With the tranny out of the car i still wasnt able to remove the pressure plate from the housing using the screw driver method. So on the inside of the pressure plate is a small ring.( One that goes around the input shaft) I used a chisel to expose this ring and once said ring was removed the plate slid off. I might have pictures of this so if someone needs them lmk.

For installing i removed the front and rear motor mount brackets(more room)
I ended up installing the tranny myself which i don't recommend but if your friends bail on you and your dad is laid up in bed trying to pass a kidney stone you may have no other option. This is also possible but luck has alot to do with stabbing the input shaft perfectly. Plus you have to be able to benchpress 150+ pounds at an awkward angle.
Like i said, doable , just tough.

For the output shaft removal in the transfer case i ended up ruining a rental slide hammer from Advanced auto parts. I welded a m8x 2.5 or 3 bolt to the end of the silde hammer and it worked like a charm for removal and installing. So it worked, but theyre are cheaper methods out there. Plus side is i have a permanent output shaft puller for next time!

Have at least 2 jacks

I didnt remove the transfer case from the vehicle and it is so fkin annoying when it keeps falling in the way. I ended up buying another jackstand for the sole purpose of hold this out of the way.

Thats pretty much what i learned this past week. Ive put about 140 miles on the car since the swap and so far so good. Im going to try and hold out for that 300 mile break in period but we shall see hahaha

I hope some of this knowledge is useful.

I feel if i was doing this project and read this thread i would have believed in myself a little bit more as far as removing the PP while still on the car and not wasted time fking with that damn TOB collar.

Lemme know what yall think

Thanks
Dev
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy just showed this to me and i thought it was pretty sick.(hes in the right lane im in the left)
Colorado 1320 was at the street car showdown @ bandimere and took some snaps and i got lucky enough to be in one