Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying from a dealership

Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by elkazX
How can you tell the car is on? I can't really see the RPMs although I am looking on my phone at the moment. But I saw the lip was busted but i don't see where the bumper is? Again looking on my phone so it makes it harder to see..
The tach is barely visible, but is definitely at the 800-1000rpm area. And the AC is on, the fan switch is in position 3 or 4, and the light on the buttons for the a/c and recycle/recirculate are illuminated.

Originally Posted by nemsin
OP, post in the regional forums and see if any evom members near that car can go check it out for you. If someone agrees, tell them about the above concerns. Also have them see if the dealer will do a compression test, in front of them. If the engine checks out and there are no strange whines/grinding during a test drive, the little stuff can be sorted out. If air/fuel is off then it was definitely returned to stock appearing without being retuned and should not be driven far before getting tuned. Also see if they have paperwork showing the 30k service was done. If not, check to see if the belts/water pump look new.

The A/F ratio isn't "off" per the gauge, the gauge is reading as if it is not properly hooked up to whatever it needs to be hooked up to. AFR gauge is reading "4.", boost is "-", and the oil pressure gauge isn't even on.

OP, the engine bay looks stock, but keep in mind, my car still has the factory exhaust mani and heat shield. Not to mention those parts are easy to find when someone wants to go back to stock to trade the car in. Another thing, this looks like a used car dealer. That car was almost certainly bought at auction and the dealer has absolutely no clue as to what is going on with it..

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Aug 13, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should just keep your X and passively search for a IX. When the right car pops up you will know. Plus I suspect a number of IX's will hit the market when the Focus RS is available. Actually, you might even consider trading in your X for a Focus RS. New car interest rates are usually really good.
I am not in a rush at all, so I'm definitely not hurrying or rushing into anything. I kind of rushed into my X and I regret that, so I learned from the mistake and won't make it again. As for the RS, personally I am not a big fan of it, and I also don't believe a lot of people will trade in their 9s for it. Maybe x's, but idk about 9s.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The tach is barely visible, but is definitely at the 800-1000rpm area. And the AC is on, the fan switch is in position 3 or 4, and the light on the buttons for the a/c and recycle/recirculate are illuminated.

The A/F ratio isn't "off" per the gauge, the gauge is reading as if it is not properly hooked up to whatever it needs to be hooked up to. AFR gauge is reading "4.", boost is "-", and the oil pressure gauge isn't even on.

OP, the engine bay looks stock, but keep in mind, my car still has the factory exhaust mani and heat shield. Not to mention those parts are easy to find when someone wants to go back to stock to trade the car in. Another thing, this looks like a used car dealer. That car was almost certainly bought at auction and the dealer has absolutely no clue as to what is going on with it..
Most on the 9s on cars.com are at used car dealerships I believe..none at really big name ones so I don't know at that point if I should assume all of them were bought off an auction or what? But good call on the a/c, I didn't realize that
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If you're in no rush, I would wait for right car to show up in the classifieds here. In the mean time you can save your dollars for a down payment since used car loans for a private party purchase are harder to get..

The used car dealer thing isn't an issue if you find a car that's actually clean. This car is blasted. With the condition of the wheels and bumper/lip, I can about guarantee you the rest of the exterior is in far less than great condition.

To me, it looks like the car was modded, who knows to what extent. He used the stock wheels that are on it now for winter wheels. He sold the his summer wheel set, and most of the after market stuff and put the car back to mostly stock, and traded it in. It also obviously doesn't look well taken car of, or at the very least was abused..

Like I said before I would be very weary of buying this car, especially for my daily. If you were looking to build a racecar, it would be a little different..
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If you're in no rush, I would wait for right car to show up in the classifieds here. In the mean time you can save your dollars for a down payment since used car loans for a private party purchase are harder to get..

The used car dealer thing isn't an issue if you find a car that's actually clean. This car is blasted. With the condition of the wheels and bumper/lip, I can about guarantee you the rest of the exterior is in far less than great condition.

To me, it looks like the car was modded, who knows to what extent. He used the stock wheels that are on it now for winter wheels. He sold the his summer wheel set, and most of the after market stuff and put the car back to mostly stock, and traded it in. It also obviously doesn't look well taken car of, or at the very least was abused..

Like I said before I would be very weary of buying this car, especially for my daily. If you were looking to build a racecar, it would be a little different..
It would be my daily for this winter and spring, and then I plan on buying one next summer. I am staying away from this car, I do not want to take that risk of going with it and regretting it. The only thing about buying private owner is I cannot trade my car in, and I have tried selling my X the past few months but no one wants to buy it so thats why I was looking into trading it in. I am going to carmax this saturday to see what they will give me but my expecations are pretty low..if they offer me like $23,000 then I might take that.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...4373/overview/

what do you guys think about this one? Looks to be in very good condition..mods I can tell are exhaust and intake? And then it has that thing about the wheel i think its a wideband? Not 100% though..price is high but I would offer $20k to start and then go from there.

and I cant tell if thats a real JDM bumper or a rep..
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I feel like I have seen a lot of IXs come up for sale in the past few months right here on evom (there are some nice ones listed now). With the Focus RS, Civic Type R, and Fiesta RS on the horizon some people will likely be looking for a new thrill.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:46 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
dealerships will say anything to get you in the door, including having "bait" cars. the kind where you get there but it "just sold.. but hey.. look at what else we have".
that's a long way to go for something that "might" be.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

I feel like I have seen a lot of IXs come up for sale in the past few months right here on evom (there are some nice ones listed now). With the Focus RS, Civic Type R, and Fiesta RS on the horizon some people will likely be looking for a new thrill.
yeah i would love to do that but again, I would have to sell my X which i have been trying to do for 2 or 3 months now and i have had no luck..maybe I'll just take it to car max, take what they give me if it is decently fair, and then buy a beater for over the winter and just keep my eye out.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

maybe I'll just take it to car max, take what they give me if it is decently fair, and then buy a beater for over the winter and just keep my eye out.
Why are you so disappointed with your X? Do some weight reduction on it and get a nice suspension setup (I suggest MCS) and it will drive like a whole new car.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Why are you so disappointed with your X? Do some weight reduction on it and get a nice suspension setup (I suggest MCS) and it will drive like a whole new car.
its not that I am so disappointed, i am a little because over the time i have owned it i have pretty much fallen in love with evo 9s. I have some good suspension, dsg edition fortune autos so swift springs and such, and theres not much weight reduction I can do since i need the rear seats and I use my trunk all the time
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

You should PM Robevo RS, you would be surprised how much weight can be shed from the X.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:48 AM
kaj

its not that I am so disappointed, i am a little because over the time i have owned it i have pretty much fallen in love with evo 9s. I have some good suspension, dsg edition fortune autos so swift springs and such, and theres not much weight reduction I can do since i need the rear seats and I use my trunk all the time
that's more common than one would think. there is a definite divide between VIII/IX owners and X owners. they are very different cars that seem to appeal to very different people. it seems you are either an VIII/IX person or a X person, wholeheartedly.

FIESTA RS??!! details? i gotta see this!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
FIESTA RS??!! details? i gotta see this!
There is very little detail so far, but numerous sources have reported that Ford Performance manager Tyrone Johnson has disclosed plans to launch a higher specification Fiesta slotting above the ST version.

I am just making the leap (small as it may be) that it will wear the RS badge. There are even photos out there of what looks like a Fiesta test vehicle http://blog.caranddriver.com/spied-2017-ford-fiesta-rs/ I would not have given it much credence if it wasn't caught in a lineup with a Focus RS test vehicle.

Last edited by nemsin; Aug 13, 2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:58 AM
kaj

There is very little detail so far, but numerous sources have reported that Ford Performance manager Tyrone Johnson has disclosed plans to launch a higher specification Fiesta slotting above the ST version.

I am just making the leap (small as it may be) that it will wear the RS badge.
as much as i want the Focus... a Fiesta RS would actually be in my price range and i'm thinking a TON of fun as well. that would be aaaaawesooooooome.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/spied-2017-ford-fiesta-rs/

Last edited by kaj; Aug 13, 2015 at 01:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying from a dealership