Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying from a dealership

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying from a dealership

Hey guys, I am looking at trading in my current evo x for a 9 at a dealership. The problem is, the dealership is 1,000 miles away from me..I talked to a sales rep over the phone today, and I asked him how much they could give for my X and with it being trade it he told me they can probably give me $24,000. I gave him my vin and everything. They are asking $27K and it as SE with 31xxx miles on it. I would obviously try to lower the price which I think I could.

But my question is, is how should I got about this? I don't want him to say they can give me $24k for my X over the phone and then get there and say they can only $20k..

Also, I don't want to agree to agree to a price for the 9, say $24,000 for an example and then get there and them tell me they cannot do that price.

So guys, any of you work at dealerships or have ever dealt with this and can help me out? I'd appreciate it a lot, thanks!! (Oh and LMK if I should ask for anything in specific before I go out there like a video or anything in particular)
Old Aug 12, 2015, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buying from a dealership

Have them fax you a quote or email it. Have it come from a manager. And you will have documentation of what they said they'd give you on your trade-in.

If at all possible have your finances dealt with before you get there. If you're financing any of it, make sure you have a bankers check ready to fill out and give to them for whatever amount your financing. That way if they don't come down you can cover it and if they do come down, you only have to give them as much as you need to.

It would suck since you're traveling 1000 miles to do this deal, but always leave it on the table to walk away. It helps encourage the sale to go the way you want it to.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by J_Striker
Have them fax you a quote or email it. Have it come from a manager. And you will have documentation of what they said they'd give you on your trade-in.

If at all possible have your finances dealt with before you get there. If you're financing any of it, make sure you have a bankers check ready to fill out and give to them for whatever amount your financing. That way if they don't come down you can cover it and if they do come down, you only have to give them as much as you need to.

It would suck since you're traveling 1000 miles to do this deal, but always leave it on the table to walk away. It helps encourage the sale to go the way you want it to.
I do plan on financing some of it, pretty much transferring my loan over from my x to the 9 is what I am hoping I can make happen. I will make sure a manager does that.

I am not scared to walk away. If I for any reason feel as if they are lying, hiding something, or something is going on with the car or they screwed me on the price then I will walk away with no hesitation. Better to spend a couple hundred on gas than who knows how much on who knows what problem!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.europlusnj.com/2006_Mitsu..._256610124.veh

If anyone can help me out, heres the car. If anyone knows this dealership or this car even better, or if they can tell me anything I haven't really noticed. Lip needs repainted, has an exhaust and gauges is what I believe is aftermarket.. the gauges kind of scare me but I know some people get them even with a stock car, they just make me feel that is has been modified to hell. They will be emailing me engine bay pictures in the morning as well so I can see whats done to it for the most part. They claim the engine bay is all stock, but when I talked to them on the phone they also claimed the exhaust was stock so I guess we will see.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Try to work the deal through a local dealer. Dealerships trade cars more often than you would think. Basically just see what your local dealer will give you on your trade in. If it is acceptable, tell them you have located a car you want at dealer X and ask them if they can get that car for you. As long as both dealerships make money on the deal they will bend over backwards to make it happen.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Car is running in the pictures, and the gauges are not reading what they should with a running car. Car was likely modded and returned to stockish, and the gauges aren't even hooked up. Also, the front lip and bumper are blasted. Buyer beware..
Old Aug 12, 2015, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nemsin
Try to work the deal through a local dealer. Dealerships trade cars more often than you would think. Basically just see what your local dealer will give you on your trade in. If it is acceptable, tell them you have located a car you want at dealer X and ask them if they can get that car for you. As long as both dealerships make money on the deal they will bend over backwards to make it happen.
So any dealership can pretty much do this? Hm that helps a lot I'm gonna definitely look into that. Thank you!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Car is running in the pictures, and the gauges are not reading what they should with a running car. Car was likely modded and returned to stockish, and the gauges aren't even hooked up. Also, the front lip and bumper are blasted. Buyer beware..
How can you tell the car is on? I can't really see the RPMs although I am looking on my phone at the moment. But I saw the lip was busted but i don't see where the bumper is? Again looking on my phone so it makes it harder to see..
Old Aug 13, 2015, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you're willing to travel that far there's a few on autotrader that seem in better condition then that. for 30k miles it seems a little more beat then it should be.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the same thoughts... Buyer beware on this one. Personally I wouldn't travel for that particular one. Messed up lip and at least 3 wheels with curb rash, questionable mods since no pictures of the engine.

Last edited by evo8426; Aug 13, 2015 at 05:03 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
front bumper alone should be enough to tell you that car isn't worth what they're asking
Old Aug 13, 2015, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

OP, post in the regional forums and see if any evom members near that car can go check it out for you. If someone agrees, tell them about the above concerns. Also have them see if the dealer will do a compression test, in front of them. If the engine checks out and there are no strange whines/grinding during a test drive, the little stuff can be sorted out. If air/fuel is off then it was definitely returned to stock appearing without being retuned and should not be driven far before getting tuned. Also see if they have paperwork showing the 30k service was done. If not, check to see if the belts/water pump look new.

Last edited by nemsin; Aug 13, 2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

The bay looks all stock, even looks like the stock heat shield I believe..but I think I am going to stay away from this one, I want to feel confident about one before I go buy it, and even if I am confident I am not scared to walk away. Thank you all for your advice, the search continues i will take a look on auto trader I have not looked on there. Once again thanks everyone and I will post up here another one soon most likely!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Okay so I clicked on the engine bay picture in my album when I go to attach it and it added that...I've never seen that picture in my life before..
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

You should just keep your X and passively search for a IX. When the right car pops up you will know. Plus I suspect a number of IX's will hit the market when the Focus RS is available. Actually, you might even consider trading in your X for a Focus RS. New car interest rates are usually really good.

Last edited by nemsin; Aug 13, 2015 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying from a dealership