Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My airbag recall experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
My airbag recall experience

So I dropped my car off at 9 in the morning at Brandon Mitsubishi dealership. Before I handed them the keys I did a quick picture of the odometer and a quick video of the interior. You know, just in case. Handed them the keys and had them only work on the airbag and not the ECU. Got called about 6 hours later to pick the car up and airbag was done. They said to do the airbag warranty fix they have to do all warranty fixes so they just marked that they tuned the ecu, but said they didn't touch the ecu, only airbag. Alright no biggy.

So I look at the interior and looks all good and I take the car bag to work to finish the day. When leaving work as I'm getting closer to the car I see a quarter sized gash on the lower driver side door. Get closer and it I see metal/paint gashed off. Wish I took a quick video of the exterior.... Anywho I drove back to the dealership to confront them about the issue and said I would have to speak to the service manager tomorrow.

I am stopping by the dealership tomorrow to hopefully get this fixed... Well that's my experience. Interior Looked ok except some smudge on the dash on the passenger side and a couple of random old debris pieces.

So for the gash that wasn't there before, what should I expect from the dealership? What should they do to accommodate that? I don't wash, clay and wax the car so I can have no gashes on the exterior. What should be the correct thing they do to fix it? Respray it? Replace door? I am not sure and would like some input.

tl;dr - Dealership left a nice quarter sized gash on passenger door and going to the service manager tomorrow in the morning to hopefully get something done about it. What should I expect from them and whats the correct thing they should do to fix this?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 04:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It should be fixed as if it didn't happen. In my experience with body shops, I would take the door off of the car and take it down to them. I have never gotten a car back that wasn't oversprayed, or had wrong bolts or clips used to put panels back together/on the car, etc. Body shops suck...
Old Aug 21, 2015, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Well went to the dealership and it was pretty much their word against mines. They said they didn't do it and I said this wasn't there when I dropped it off. I have no proof that the gash wasn't there when I dropped it off so I pretty much got a sorry we aren't doing anything about it. Going to give corporate a call and see if they can do anything....
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear this man. I am not sure what is scarier, being fragged by a defective airbag or letting the hacks at the dealership get anywhere near my car.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:54 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Sorry man that sucks, this is exactly why i don't let other people touch my car. Anyways, if you have insurance go through them, but dont use their recommended shop. Call the local porsche/ferrari/lambo/ other high end car dealer and find out who they use for their body shop. Take your car there and have them repair it. The price might be 2x higher then other shops, but trust me there is a reason for that. You wanna take your car to a place that is accustomed to dealing with clients that love their cars like we do, and wont put up with cut corners and shady practices.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure if it's worth spending 500 on insurance to fix a quarter sized gash... But corporate said they can't really do anything about it and speak to the general manager...

Last edited by CaptainSquirts; Aug 21, 2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:18 AM

go to that shop and get an estimate, then you can decide if you wanna go through insurance or just out of pocket the repair. If you are serious about getting mitsubishi to cover the repair you will need an estimate anyway. Based on your description of events though, I don't think your will get anything out of mitsubishi.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Called the dealership back and spoke to the General Manager. I told him my story and he said bring it in and they will fix it for free. They're also going to give me a loaner car while it's being done so I'm assuming it's not just a "lets just fill it with a paint pen". I'll update on how that whole process and paint repair went.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:30 AM

Nice, good job, i didn't think you had a chance. Take a bunch of pictures of the whole car before you drop it off again
Old Sep 3, 2015, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested to see how it ends up lol. Good job with pursuing it. I was pissed about a chrome wheel on my daily getting a scratch all the way around the wheel because they put the wheel on the tire machine facing down. Wish I realized it soon enough but I know the owner wouldn't do anything. Hes a filthy crook and doesn't care about any else but his own property. Glad you are getting it fixed!