Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it time to move on.................?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it time to move on.................?

Hey guys,

I'm sure many of you have felt the same before but finally in a situation where I can do one or another.

Situation:
Got a nice promotion at work
Almost done paying off my EVO.

Issues with the evo:

1) My OEM radiator just leaked so have to swap that out
2) AC condenser leak - HOT sweaty summer
3) Crack in my front windshield
4) Need to swap out my brakes
5) tune-up
6) coming up on 140k so need to do timing belt job
7) New tires soon

So overall, a good sum of money needs to be dropped in and that's before I can start doing mods that I want done.

Possible switch over to:

1) 2010-2012 B8 Audi S4
2) Evo X

S4 is sexy and I'll be able to drive it daily without as much worry as the evo. Modding is expensive as well as maintenance! I hate having to purchase parts/fluids from stealership or online. Not as easy vs imports.

2) I love evos but I am still not fond of the evo X. It keeps me in line with evos now but it's not an evo viii/ix.

3) Not rich enough for a R35, need 4 doors so no Supra or RX7, want something a bit more modern.

I'd be willing to try a R32 if there was one readily available but I'm not going to like the real old school interior. Without quick turnaround interior work, it's going to be real ****ty driving.

I know it is my personal option at the end of the day but I'd like to hear what others would do.

**No, I won't like switching over the STY. I'd be questioning myself Y did I switch over the whole time I own the car.**
BMW owners are jerkoffs and I don't like that crowd. I rather stay away from it.

So really, only have the option of evo x, stick with my evo or b8 s4. I could also purchase another well-maintained and ready to go evo ix se.

Last edited by NJ_evoIXgsr; Sep 26, 2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Vehicles will last as long as owners are willing to fix and maintain them. The cars in Cuba are a good example. What kills vehicles is neglect and neglect is a symptom of lack of love. When the romance is over it is time to move on.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 06:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, that's a good list of stuff to do on your car. I'd keep the car and fix what's necessary first. Then go down the list of what is less important.

If you get rid of it, I wouldn't buy another Evo 9. That's just added back debt you were done paying off and may have issues you weren't expecting. I would pick up the X not a fan of the S4
Old Sep 26, 2015, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
If all your options are used cars, wouldn't you be buying a potential Pandora's Box where you have little idea of how the car was driven and maintained, and what needs fixing?

Your current car is familiar to you and you know what it needs. But that's just the logic side of things - as one guy above said, if you no longer love the car, its time to move on.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That doesn't sound like thats too much to fix.

I really like the RS4 Audi's, but you should just keep the evo and buy a modern beater car.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason I will keep mine is I truly believe that the evos will be the muscle cars of our day. I am willing to bet once upon a time people owning a 67 Camaro ss were at the same point and many of them sold them off. 30-40 years later every one of them regret it. In a few years these cars will be truly collectors as they were light weight cars that just produced rediculous amounts of power. They are an ageing platform but so are the old muscle cars and people still love them. In the end it's your choice the new car will be less of a headache but you're gambling that in a few years these cars will be a piece of automotive history worth keeping.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
What kills vehicles is neglect and neglect is a symptom of lack of love. When the romance is over it is time to move on.
This is exactly what happens
Old Sep 27, 2015, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I was garaged with an S4 at my last track day, every time he came in he had over heating alarms up, one on the diff and one on the transmission, this was the middle of winter.

No matter how powerful or luxurious the next car is if you are going to be carrying another 300 plus pounds around a track, theres not really anything that replaces the nimbleness and driving experiance of the Evo. This is why I use it as a weekender only and have a DD but I might be at a different stage in life then you.

If maintenance is the excuse to change then your heart might not be in it anymore, maybe you might come back later like alot of people do
Old Sep 27, 2015, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

I've been at this point with other cars and sold them. The thing about the EVO is that I'm afraid that I'll miss it. If it's true love you'll never sell.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a evo X their great
Old Sep 28, 2015, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Keep it Mike! Take your time, and do what you can afford to repair, each item on your list...Everyone goes thru this with a vehicle at some point of ownership. You sold your first Evo, right? Missed it, and bought another...The parts, and maintainence ($$$) on the other cars you're considering is worse! They're going to get old too don't forget...CT9A Evo prices are on the upswing too! (Remember, if you need discounted OEM prices who to contact?)
Old Sep 28, 2015, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Exclamation This!

Originally Posted by barneyb
Vehicles will last as long as owners are willing to fix and maintain them. The cars in Cuba are a good example. What kills vehicles is neglect and neglect is a symptom of lack of love. When the romance is over it is time to move on.

+1, SO TRUE! Could'nt have been said better!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would move on personally.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:44 AM

Honda Civic Type R would be my next car if I had to choose. 2015 STI would be a good alternative choice just because it's the only rival to the Evo. My last choice would be a 2015 BMW 335i.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
OP, I'd get rid of that car and buy a nice 9 if you can swing it.

Quick Reply: Is it time to move on.................?