Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo XI weighing on image: responsibility, practicality, maturity

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo XI weighing on image: responsibility, practicality, maturity

I'm at a crossroads. I'm 28 and moving along in my career (Private Equity), originally I started as a customer service person, then behind the scenes operations, now in charge of US operations and managing 4 start up companies.

As glamorous as the job sounds the pay doesn't reflect such, and living in Palo Alto drains my wallet rather quickly and I can only afford to live in a 1 bedroom apartment with 1 parking spot. So having 2 cars isn't an option.

I love my evo, however it doesn't convey responsibility, practicality, maturity, wealth management and I look like I'm fresh out of the fast and the furious.

I rented a 997TT this weekend, slushbox. It was quick, but just not fun like the evo. My girlfriend freaks out if I accelerate hard in the evo. In the 911, I did a 0-120 sprint from a stoplight and she didn't flinch. I asked her why, she said it's so smooth and quiet.

Colleagues drive Teslas, and other big sedans, A7, M6 4door, M5, X5, 328i, G55 AMG.

Should I even try to get a pseudo sports car and try to keep it stock and comfortable ie. 997 911 or new Audi S3 or should I just accept my situation get a 2010 BMW 528i or Acura TL, save up for a house and buy another sports car in 10 - 15 years or save up for a year and get a 997TT/6 speed, put coilovers, lightweight flywheel, big turbos and f*ck what gf says about car being uncomfortable?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
get a foxbody notchback and do sideshows on seminary ave, like a grownass man
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I think it comes down to if you have to drive customers around in the car and if that type of image matters in your field. If it does, then you know you have to get something that aligns better with image....ideal would be to keep the Evo and get an older luxury car since a lot of image is the badge on the car and not necessarily the age.

That's why I hope I never have to leave my current field. No one cares what you drive about in.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Drive whatever makes you happy. Nothing worse than letting circumstance dictate how you roll.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Hmmmm.....young up and coming exec wanting make an impression that you are mature and stable.
Ok time to start thinking where you are going in life and become more responsible young man.

But.... You need a plan

Do you still love the Evo ?

Do you still need a toy, something to enjoy in your own time?

How important to you is your gf opinion?

Are you thinking of kids?

Do you need to park your Evo at work and all the other boring drivers see it?

Like said above do you use it for work?

Is there a place you can store it like your parents or mates ?

Can you afford 2 cars? Or company lease a second car?

Do you track it or work on it? Or just DD it?

The above answers will shape your Evo future Luke
Old Feb 16, 2016, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Doesn't sound like you want the Evo, sell it.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
You buy a car (etc.), because YOU like it. What society says, or what your co-workers, neighbors say, should NOT even enter the picture here. Who is making the payments? Who is driving the car (etc.)?

I'm 58 years old, a college teacher. Now., before any of you say this is a midlife thing, etc. (LOL!), I have been into sports cars since before I could drive. Bought both my sports cars new. Been into JDM since the early 1980s. I still own, look at my sig. below, 2 sports cars. I don't let society's opinions, or misconceptions rule my life, or my choices. If they did, I'd be the most unhappiest honduh owner, with great gas mileage...If your girlfriend doesn't like your Evo, well, that's between you two, but, let her drive her car when you guys go out together.

If you are tired of your Evo (?!), then, maybe it's time to move on. But, if you truly love your car, any car, and can afford it, then do what YOU feel, not what other people 'think'...

PS - Also a parent, and my infant daughter grew up in my Evo. I was told I was the coolest Dad dropping my daughter off at day care, never mind dropping her off at elementary school, or high school...I was always asked for rides! Lol...

Last edited by NJ9MR; Feb 16, 2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Have a look at a good used 987.2 Porsche Cayman or Cayman S. It should fall nicely into your budget as a straight trade or minor cash adjustment to your Evo. You get quite a bit of the Porsche experience and badge prestige and no one seriously regards it anymore as the Porsche you buy if you can't afford a 911.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Remove the wing and the Evo badge. Done.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Corporate attorney, partner in the biggest law firm in my state.

I don't let anyone else tell me what to drive.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My grown up car has been the Audi S3. Evo is more fun to drive. I miss my Nissan GTR though.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mrowka
Corporate attorney, partner in the biggest law firm in my state.

I don't let anyone else tell me what to drive.
You should be ashamed of yourself driving an Evo!!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
lol..this thread. op - Why do you care so much what others may think? I'm almost complete in first year law and feel the evo is what makes me happy. I also have a friend who is just as passionate as I am and we always say we will NEVER grow out of this scene. Taking off the wing as the earlier post stated won't make you better at your job or more "sophisticated", hell I just bolted my wing back onto my cf trunk today .

My point is do what makes you happy. the evo is an iconic rally car with a very unique body style and is incomparable to a ricer so don't give me that crap. Ive parked along side Porsche cayenne/gt3, Audie, BMW and Mercedes and I wouldn't trade my evo for any of them. (could have something to do with the fact that I shelled out almost 35k into the car over the past four years lol)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You should probably get a new girlfriend. And maybe take the wing off. Other than that, who cares...
Old Feb 16, 2016, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ApexLate
I can only afford to live in a 1 bedroom apartment with 1 parking spot.
It sounds like you can't even really afford an Evo. If you are serious about building wealth/equity, you need to buy a house before you sink money every month into a sports car. Buy something that gets good gas mileage and is cheap to insure. I know it sucks. But its the wise thing to do.

Either that, or marry into money.

Quick Reply: Evo XI weighing on image: responsibility, practicality, maturity