Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

newb looking for advice/mod plans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
newb looking for advice/mod plans

ok, so i signed up awhile back and this is my very first post. no i am not a dreamer that these forum see so much off, and i am very capable of doing my own work. however, every car has its quirks and limits.

to start off, currently i daily a mustang roush. my weekend toy is a tuboed 350z. my NA cruiser is another 350z. basically, i like rwd cars.

so with a kid on the way, i need to get rid of my of my 2 seater, probably the NA 350, and pic up a car i can have fun in and still carry the baby around. so im considering on get an evo 8 or 9.

now ive done my research and it appears that quite a few of the evo has oil consumption due to improper break in period. my question is what other common problems are there? what else should i keep an eye out for when car shopping?

the price of evos in my area are pretty constant and ridiculous. around here a low mileagethe price of evos in my area are pretty constant and ridiculous. around here a low mileage 50kmile evo 8 or 9 still go for around 25k. what do you guys think on the price? better to shop out of town or are they pretty constant all over the US?

when it comes to mods, no i wont cheap out. my 350z has over 35k in mods alone. but then again parts for a 350 is expensive compare to other platform. how are the evo? are the price expensive as well? how well do the rods and pistons on these car hold up to power? in my 350, anything over 400wtq and your playing with a ticking time bomb. what about the evo? whats their limits on stock block?

lastly, everyone who builts cars always have a goal in mind. mind is to be able to have 550awhp that is able to lay that power to the ground. how realistic is that? in the 350z community, even in stock form, laying power to the ground can be a task on its own. what its like with the evo?

yes i do plan to drive as many evo as i can. however, a short 30min drive isnt going to give me the full effect or knowledge on the car, hence this thread. would like to know the opinions and advice from member who have own, built, and driven these cars hard and at their limits. anything you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by turboed350z; Mar 14, 2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 05:54 AM

Welcome aboard. Just like any used car, visual inspection and good hearing is key when testing out a car. Be prepared to stick money into it either way. As far as modification goes here's a link to the forum to get you started, good luck and enjoy your car.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-100-time.html
The following users liked this post:
turboed350z (Mar 16, 2016)
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:18 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
500whp is around as much as you want to push the stock bottom end. Evo's respond extremely well to basic modifications. There are many stock frame basically bolt on turbos, that with supporting mods, can easily achieve your power goals. If you have E85 available to you then that is the ticket to some really great results. If you are a DYI kinda person then you will want to spend a few weeks just reading the ECUflash sub forum. Also try and read as many sticky threads as you can, you will find almost everything you want to know can be found in them.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I love the Americaaan way of life, two 350zs and a stang and new born on the way so you have to drop the z for a 500whp Evo to take the bubs around in??? I'm glad your doing the right thing lolol

I'm thinking they might be all gone and you'll be taking the 3 kids along to soccer training in your family SUV one day, with three cars at least you might be able to hold out with keeping one before your priorities get realigned with your wifes

But I digress,

Rust
T case death wine
6 speed Gear box on over 400 Torks
Wheel cvs and bearing, usual stuff
Bushes
Usual Slipping clutch
Worn rings smoke - old cars high miles
Spun bearings
Funny excuses, I've just stroked it and it's blowing smoke cause it's not run in yet
All recalls done
Old Mar 16, 2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
500whp is around as much as you want to push the stock bottom end. Evo's respond extremely well to basic modifications. There are many stock frame basically bolt on turbos, that with supporting mods, can easily achieve your power goals. If you have E85 available to you then that is the ticket to some really great results. If you are a DYI kinda person then you will want to spend a few weeks just reading the ECUflash sub forum. Also try and read as many sticky threads as you can, you will find almost everything you want to know can be found in them.
how easy is ecu tuning? i was actually planning to get it dyno tuned once i have everything modded and see if that would get me close to my power goal. i dont know if i would trust myself to tune my car.

i noticed that a lot of evo are running e85. it seems like the "go to thing" for quick fast and cheap power. i would rather stay off e85 and run pump gas for occasional road trips where e85 might not be readily available.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
I love the Americaaan way of life, two 350zs and a stang and new born on the way so you have to drop the z for a 500whp Evo to take the bubs around in??? I'm glad your doing the right thing lolol

I'm thinking they might be all gone and you'll be taking the 3 kids along to soccer training in your family SUV one day, with three cars at least you might be able to hold out with keeping one before your priorities get realigned with your wifes

But I digress,

Rust
T case death wine
6 speed Gear box on over 400 Torks
Wheel cvs and bearing, usual stuff
Bushes
Usual Slipping clutch
Worn rings smoke - old cars high miles
Spun bearings
Funny excuses, I've just stroked it and it's blowing smoke cause it's not run in yet
All recalls done

well we recently bought a murano for that exact reason. the wife wanted a lexus but i wasnt ready to trade in one of the z as of yet haha so i manage to downtalk her into a murano.

as far as rust, i dont think i have to worry about that in the desert. however, i will have to research more on the tcase death wine. havent heard of that problem for an evo as of yet.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 06:32 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by turboed350z
how easy is ecu tuning? i was actually planning to get it dyno tuned once i have everything modded and see if that would get me close to my power goal. i dont know if i would trust myself to tune my car.

i noticed that a lot of evo are running e85. it seems like the "go to thing" for quick fast and cheap power. i would rather stay off e85 and run pump gas for occasional road trips where e85 might not be readily available.
thats hard to say really, depends alot on the person. Some people pick up tuning pretty easily some don't. Either way its still a good idea to learn about it, even if you wont be doing it, so that you can see what is possible. For instance you can have two tunes stored in your ecu, one for pump gas and one for e-85, and you can switch back and forth when ever you need to.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z

You can actually have full flex fuel on the evo as well tscompusa, a well known tuner on the boards and English racing a well respected evo shop both offer this. With it you can littleraly go from 91oct to e85 or any mix between and not have to switch a map or worry about a thing. It uses an eca (ethanol content anylizer) in the fuel system then blends tables in your ecuflash based on %of ethonal. This is great for daily driving and road trips. Last I checked system cosets $600 plus have to pay for the tuning which can vary some. The system can readout other things as well. This is all accomplished on the stock ecu

Last edited by Acuality; Mar 18, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Acuality
You can actually have full flex fuel on the evo as well tscompusa, a well known tuner on the boards and English racing a well respected evo shop both offer this. With it you can littleraly go from 91oct to e85 or any mix between and not have to switch a map or worry about a thing. It uses an eca (ethanol content anylizer) in the fuel system then blends tables in your ecuflash based on %of ethonal. This is great for daily driving and road trips. Last I checked system cosets $600 plus have to pay for the tuning which can vary some. The system can readout other things as well. This is all accomplished on the stock ecu
i wasnt aware of that. now my question is, if im running e85 and 91 back and forth, how good is that for the reliability of the engine? i know its all in the tune, but lets assume that the tune is average, will i run into problem or should i just save it for road trips?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 03:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The reliability of the motor depends on so many things. Torque level, tune, your driving style, and of coarse luck. I'm 500whp on a mustang dyno with zero counts of knock. E 85 can mask knock. Who knows. I don't daily my car, so when I take it out, it gets the business. Why baby it? If you don't want to deal with rebuild, etc, then keep it stock, or atleast on the fuel the car was designed for. If you like spinning 4 wheels, and making v8 cars mad, go nuts. It's just money. Lol