Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Would I need tune once putting stock parts in?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would I need tune once putting stock parts in?

Hi, I got my car recently tuned by English Motorsports with my aftermarket BOV, 3" downpipe, and Meagan test pipe. I was living in Washington at the time so I didn't worry about the emissions the vehicle was producing, but I've moved to California and now facing issues passing Smog. I'm thinking about putting the stock cat, downpipe, and bov in to pass the emissions testing but would i need a tune when i install these parts since the last tune I've had included my aftermarket ones? I haven't seen a thread with someone asking about tuning back to stock parts so I was curious even though the safest bet would be to tune it once i got all the stock parts fitted.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:20 PM

bump
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
Installing your stock parts could make the car run richer, which doesn't help you for smog. I still wouldn't get a retune with stock parts unless you are certain you need it.

Throw on the stock cat and downpipe and ask for a smog pre-test from a service station that offers it. That way, you can be safe before subjecting yourself to a smog fail.

California smog laws suck, but there are ways around them for now. Just keep your smog legal parts.

-pal215
Old Mar 25, 2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Installing your stock parts could make the car run richer, which doesn't help you for smog. I still wouldn't get a retune with stock parts unless you are certain you need it.

Throw on the stock cat and downpipe and ask for a smog pre-test from a service station that offers it. That way, you can be safe before subjecting yourself to a smog fail.

California smog laws suck, but there are ways around them for now. Just keep your smog legal parts.

-pal215
I'm also thinking about leaving all those parts on as well, but from reading your response my best bet is to get it retuned.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Don't bother with the downpipe they won't notice ****. Just put on the cat, and if your BOV isn't recirculated you can use a tube and a ziptie and just kinda point it somewhere vaguely under your intake. Worked for me, passed 3 times even on speed density w/ all kinds of mods. They might be stubborn at first, but be friendly and keep insisting that it's legit.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smog

What do you mean facing issues with the smog? Are you saying you failed once at a regular smog place and are going for the retest? Or you're trying to smog it at a smog ref?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by hearnoevo
What do you mean facing issues with the smog? Are you saying you failed once at a regular smog place and are going for the retest? Or you're trying to smog it at a smog ref?
The car is registered at Washington and I'm trying to get it registered in California which requires that dmv check and the trusted agent check thing where they run the car on the dyno and test emissions. I'm failing because of the test pipe and bov at the Sacramento DMV and would fail at that dyno test thingy
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:18 PM

Would I need a retune with a turbosmart dual port blow off valve?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

smog

If it were me and I had a tactrix cable I would change the test pipe and bov and flash it back to stock. If I didn't have a tactrix cable I would change the parts, take it to them and then swap the parts back out right after.

No, you don't need a retune for changing the bov.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

You don't need to change the tune for a DP/Cat or BOV, just don't go full throttle for that period of time.

This is really simple stuff, I don't know why you guys are making it complicated. The sniff test is no longer performed, and even if it was then you would still pass it. Go to the SocalEvo forums and check their smog section.

Just post a photo of your engine bay, I really doubt anyone at the DMV even knows what the hell a BOV is unless you have neon LED hoses leading to it or something.

Here's what you'll need to pass:

1) Catalytic Converter
2) No Check Engine Light or codes
3) A stock looking engine bay, intake in particular
Old Mar 26, 2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Name User
You don't need to change the tune for a DP/Cat or BOV, just don't go full throttle for that period of time. This is really simple stuff, I don't know why you guys are making it complicated. The sniff test is no longer performed, and even if it was then you would still pass it. Go to the SocalEvo forums and check their smog section. Just post a photo of your engine bay, I really doubt anyone at the DMV even knows what the hell a BOV is unless you have neon LED hoses leading to it or something. Here's what you'll need to pass: 1) Catalytic Converter 2) No Check Engine Light or codes 3) A stock looking engine bay, intake in particular
Thank you for that info. The tune is all I wanted to know. I only mentioned the dmv engine check because it was the reason for the switch. But I did have to change it because of my BOV and Downpipe because of that check. Although I was polite and had a small conversation afterwards, this man at the South Sacramento, CA DMV did do a thorough check and told me to just change these out. I also would rather run with these parts than the ones i own currently
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:38 AM

You would definitely need a re tune Because the car would run pig rich
Old Mar 28, 2016, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by russian1212
You would definitely need a re tune Because the car would run pig rich
You basically just told someone to spend $500 to retune a car that would only be driven a couple of miles, off boost, below 4k rpm for a smog test.

Have you smogged a car in California before? They don't do the sniff test anymore, are you personally going to fly here from the Barbados with an o2 sensor to fail him?

Last edited by Name User; Mar 28, 2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Name User
You basically just told someone to spend $500 to retune a car that would only be driven a couple of miles, off boost, below 4k rpm for a smog test. Have you smogged a car in California before? They don't do the sniff test anymore, are you personally going to fly here from the Barbados with an o2 sensor to fail him?
Since I mentioned preferring to use the stock parts he was just reiterating me to tune the car