Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

annoying clutch sound "HELP"

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
annoying clutch sound "HELP"

Im having this really annoying rubbing sound (coarse sound) whenever I disenage my clutch. I have a stage 1 exedy aftermarket clutch with about 20k miles on it and it has never made any sound until now.

Heres an example, when am at a red light and I slowly creep up to the car in front, I put my car in first and slowly release the clutch pedal. When I do that, I hear a loud rubbing sound or a rough coarse sound. This only happens when the car isnt fully warmed up( not all the time). After driving the car for about 30 mins, the sound goes away. The weird thing is that its never consistent. Some days theres no sound at all. This is driving me nuts, please help!

Car is a 2003 Evo 8
Old May 23, 2016, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like maybe your TOB
Old May 23, 2016, 02:41 AM

Oh man, hope that isnt the case, but thanks for the reply.

Anymore suggestions or similar experiences?
Old May 23, 2016, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
When I've heard a grinding or squealing sound from a trans was typically the TOB, but I also had a friend that had one of the bolts on his clutch back out and rub on the flywheel. It's not likely that's the case, but it's another possibility I suppose.
Old May 23, 2016, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My clutch was making a squawk when letting out the clutch in second gear. That was the only time I heard it. It did this for a week or two early this spring and then the sound was gone. I've since been out of state and lots of highway miles - no problem.

Like brakes, I think clutches can sometimes make noise due to temperature or humidity. So I'd suggest just monitoring it for awhile. It doesn't really matter what clutch problem is occurring, if it really is a problem the transmission is coming out. So, if it doesn't go away and gets worse, wrench time.
Old May 23, 2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
My clutch was making a squawk when letting out the clutch in second gear. That was the only time I heard it. It did this for a week or two early this spring and then the sound was gone. I've since been out of state and lots of highway miles - no problem.

Like brakes, I think clutches can sometimes make noise due to temperature or humidity. So I'd suggest just monitoring it for awhile. It doesn't really matter what clutch problem is occurring, if it really is a problem the transmission is coming out. So, if it doesn't go away and gets worse, wrench time.

There we go, a squawk sound. Its not a problem, but its just annoying. Drove it all day today and no sound whatsoever :/ hopefully its really nothing big. Thanks for the replies!!
Old May 24, 2016, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
ah hell its an evo...it plays a compilation of sounds all the time...I've learned to live with it lol...
Old May 24, 2016, 11:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds to me like it could be your tob also.
Old May 25, 2016, 09:43 PM

Is it causing a problem of any sort? when accelerating or when engaging or disengaging? If not then i wouldn't worry about it too much. Should start saving for a new clutch though just in case.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And dont forget to go OEM on the tob if you do decide to go that route.
Old May 26, 2016, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by xttnx93
Is it causing a problem of any sort? when accelerating or when engaging or disengaging? If not then i wouldn't worry about it too much. Should start saving for a new clutch though just in case.
Hey, no problems whatsoever, but the sound is annoying and loud.