Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vibration/Ticking sound after changing timing belt.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vibration/Ticking sound after changing timing belt.

I have another post posted but it has somewhat of a misleading title. So decided to start a fresh one with the current status of my problem. I recently changed my timing belt. 03 evo. Everything went fine, fired right up, no odd sounds. Then roughly 10 miles later there came a ticking sound. The ticking is fairly fast, and gets faster/louder as the rpms go up. It seems to be coming from the back lower portion of the engine. I have checked for crank play, compression, codes, and I have taken off the accessory belt to make sure it wasn't anything else, but the noise remains. Also I bought a stethoscope and tried pinpointing that sound. At first it seemed like the injectors but they all pulsate at the same volume. I did notice an irregularity (ticking noise) in the lower back portion of the block, where the rear balance shaft sits. But it is timed on the marker so why would anything come from there? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you use a new t-belt tensioner?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Did you use a new t-belt tensioner?
New tensioner and pulleys. I think I have an idea what it is. The balance shafts aren't timed properly. Gonna take off the belt today and retime the balance shafts, see if that changes anything
Old Dec 13, 2016, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

So I took off the belt today, checked the balance shafts and how they are timed. They checked out. Also changed the oil just for the heck of it. (I'll note that there were absolutely no shards of metal or any debris in the oil) Started the car and am still getting the ticking sound. Don't know where else to look.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo47
So I took off the belt today, checked the balance shafts and how they are timed. They checked out. Also changed the oil just for the heck of it. (I'll note that there were absolutely no shards of metal or any debris in the oil) Started the car and am still getting the ticking sound. Don't know where else to look.
Sounds like it could be your lifters, the ticking from them can come about almost randomly. It also tends to happen more often when the temperature drops or the car sits for a longer period of time than normal. Especially makes sense because the noise changes with engine RPM.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jmills
Sounds like it could be your lifters, the ticking from them can come about almost randomly. It also tends to happen more often when the temperature drops or the car sits for a longer period of time than normal. Especially makes sense because the noise changes with engine RPM.
The noise seems to be coming from the lower end of the block. I took a stethoscope and checked the head, cant hear any odd sounds at any of the cylinders. I'm going to thoroughly check all the pulleys and the tensioner with the stethoscope tonight, maybe I missed something.