Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can I/Should I rebuild an engine myself?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can I/Should I rebuild an engine myself?

I am in the process of tearing apart an engine that I'm putting into a project. I got the head and block resurfaced already. Question is, would I be able to rebuild it myself? I'd consider myself an advanced DIY'er, did everything from timing belt jobs to clutch jobs. But never something like rebuilding an engine. By rebuilding I mean putting in new bearings, gaskets, piston rings, etc. It's not rocket science is it? Main bearings should just pop into place (with lubrication of course) and everything has to just be torqued to specs right? I'd have no doubt in rebuilding say a civic engine, but then again this is no civic. Any thoughts/advice?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 08:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Not rocket science. Get a good torque wrench, feeler gauge set, ring grinder, and either a good micrometer and bore gauge for rod bearing/main clearance, or you can use plasti-gauge. And follow the instructions. Your machine shop will handle building the head and setting piston to wall clearance. It's really just putting it together from there, and making sure the pistons clear the oil jets and the rods clear the block.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm in the same boat, go for it that's the only way you learn
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Its easy actually. Not many parts.

Torqued to spec and clearances with in spec is the key.

Buy good proper tools for measuring and reworking block.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

It's just gonna be a stock block rebuild with full bolt ons. My plan is no more than 450-500HP. (Anywhere from an IX to 6266 turbo at best with possible e85 dual map) Would stock main/rod clearance dimensions work? Or should I get more clearance? I've read that the stock block can safely handle around 450HP right? At what point will it start being not reliable? The goal is a fun daily, with a good balance between reliability and power.

Last edited by Evo47; Jan 21, 2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
With the correct rods and pistons in it, the block itself will handle 800-900whp before needing to be filled. The stock crank will handle more.

If you're really only shooting for 450-500, you don't need a built motor.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only way to learn is by doing it yourself. Plenty of videos out there on building a 4g63 on youtube. Best advice I can give you is clean the block really really well before assemble. What I do is get a bucket of water with dawn dish detergent, bore brushes, and I clean every passage way and cylinder bores fast as hell. Spray the block down with water, blow everything dry with a compressor, and then coat everything with WD-40. From start to finish is 3-5 minutes. It will rust so do it fast. Another option is to spray all the passages out with brake cleaner and follow up with WD-40.

Your machinist SHOULD give you a clean block. From my experience they are never as clean as I want them to be.

Do your research, plenty of info out there to walk you through step by step.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the evo is the car i learned on. Most people thought i was crazy for using it as my learner for engine removal, trans removal, rebuilds and replacement.

take your time and don't get to excited when you are making progress. good luck and let us know how it turns out!
The following users liked this post:
Jahtoot (Nov 24, 2023)
Old Dec 29, 2016, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
subscribed...i too have done everything except motor build and tuning...would love to learn to do both...
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Anyone who has to ask the question on a forum............the answer is always no.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Anyone who has to ask the question on a forum............the answer is always no.
Motion to ban

You'll be fine OP. I would suggest getting a shop manual also. Much easier to flip through pages than pressing start/stop on your phone with greasy fingers.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Dont listen to this guy. Hes a knob.

Im a tech of 7 years and i still have questions i might post on this forum.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
do it. Im rebuilding my engine as well, never done it before. Just buy quality tools, and you should be good to go.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
DYI. Saves a ton of money and only have yourself to blame when it blows!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Alright I'm gonna try it out for myself, if anything goes wrong I have a spare head and block that I'll have a professional do. So I already bought an oem gasket set. What brand of bearings and piston rings should I look at? And since this is going to be a near stock rebuild, should I get oem clearance bearings or ones with extra clearance? And what should the clearance be at main/crank and the crank/rods?

Quick Reply: Can I/Should I rebuild an engine myself?