Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I want to sell my STI and Get an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to sell my STI and Get an EVO

As the title says. I am SO sick and tired of my stupid ej piece of crap block. For this very reason I want and evo.

I have one problem... I don't know squat about evos.

Let me start art here, I've got a 2010 STI hatch pushing around 550WHP on low boost and 600+ in my sport# mode. My block is making horrible noises like the piston in slapping BADDD. I can't do this anymore, this is my 3rd motor and I treat my car like a girlfriend, I baby her, I give her what she wants... when she wants, and I don't abuse her(sometimes but cmon is 600whp).

As of now, my b***h is sitting outside not working and I've put an ad up for sale. I'm hoping to sell it soon so that I can begin an endeavor for an EVO. For those of you with experience building and have or have owned a 500WHP evo please help me understand what I would need to ge an evo to what I want RELIABLY.

I know it's all relative but if you guys would know also what it would cost to do this that would be nice 😬.

Hp is cheap but reliability isn't. I understand that. Hoping to be joining the community soon.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Welcome

Comb through this thread & it will give you an idea of the mods we do to extract more HP

One of the main advantages the EvO had over the Sube is the closed deck iron block & the crank girdle vs the alum open deck design of the boxer motor

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey Welcome

Comb through this thread & it will give you an idea of the mods we do to extract more HP

One of the main advantages the EvO had over the Sube is the closed deck iron block & the crank girdle vs the alum open deck design of the boxer motor

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/330085-official-evo-modding-
dummies.html

Thanks a lot, I didn't know you guys were closed deck. That's awesome. And I will.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Stallmaster
As the title says. I am SO sick and tired of my stupid ej piece of crap block. For this very reason I want and evo.

I have one problem... I don't know squat about evos.

Let me start art here, I've got a 2010 STI hatch pushing around 550WHP on low boost and 600+ in my sport# mode. My block is making horrible noises like the piston in slapping BADDD. I can't do this anymore, this is my 3rd motor and I treat my car like a girlfriend, I baby her, I give her what she wants... when she wants, and I don't abuse her(sometimes but cmon is 600whp).

As of now, my b***h is sitting outside not working and I've put an ad up for sale. I'm hoping to sell it soon so that I can begin an endeavor for an EVO. For those of you with experience building and have or have owned a 500WHP evo please help me understand what I would need to ge an evo to what I want RELIABLY.

I know it's all relative but if you guys would know also what it would cost to do this that would be nice 😬.

Hp is cheap but reliability isn't. I understand that. Hoping to be joining the community soon.
I came from Subarus before I got my first Evo back in 2008. I had an 07 STi and 05 WRX. The WRX actually gave me far less problems. My STi had the common hesitation issues that plagued the 07s. Given what you said... I have a few questions for you.

Will this Evo be your daily driver?
Which Evo catches your eye more, the 8/9 or a X?

The second question will dictate how much money you will be spending, particularly if you are looking for a clean car with lower mileage.. If you like both Evos aesthetically the same, I would look into a X as you will probably be paying a good bit for a clean lower mileage 8/9 and almost the same as a low mileage X GSR. With that being said, they are two completely different animals. I've owned 4 Evos, an 8, 9 MR, a X MR and currently a 9 RS.

As for power mods, the stock turbo on an 8/9 cars is good for around 400-450ish reliably.. I say this because I know folks that have taken it beyond that and there are other factors to consider here, I know shops that have taken stock turbos up to 520ish.

To you give you a rough estimate on how much this will cost is difficult because it will depend on the condition of the car you buy. The good thing is you can find alot of parts used in good condition from folks here. Every Evo I have owned has been low mileage to mint condition so I didn't have to spend any money on fixing anything other than a bad harness on my second Evo which fried the ECU... I blame the previous owner but that is another story. The fix wasn't terribly expensive though.

I have to say with the 2018 STi recently announced with revised brakes, seats but same crap engine, I don't get what Subaru is thinking.

I would focus on which Evo you want to buy first. Then research each platform here. The positive things that you will enjoy out of Evo is the reliability of the motor compared to an STi.

I am sure some folks will chime in with more insight so you can get an idea. If you are pretty handy working on your own car you can save a good bit of money though. There are also lots of good shops that are vendors here that may also help you round up the cost.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
I came from Subarus before I got my first Evo back in 2008. I had an 07 STi and 05 WRX. The WRX actually gave me far less problems. My STi had the common hesitation issues that plagued the 07s. Given what you said... I have a few questions for you.

Will this Evo be your daily driver?
Which Evo catches your eye more, the 8/9 or a X?

The second question will dictate how much money you will be spending, particularly if you are looking for a clean car with lower mileage.. If you like both Evos aesthetically the same, I would look into a X as you will probably be paying a good bit for a clean lower mileage 8/9 and almost the same as a low mileage X GSR. With that being said, they are two completely different animals. I've owned 4 Evos, an 8, 9 MR, a X MR and currently a 9 RS.

As for power mods, the stock turbo on an 8/9 cars is good for around 400-450ish reliably.. I say this because I know folks that have taken it beyond that and there are other factors to consider here, I know shops that have taken stock turbos up to 520ish.

To you give you a rough estimate on how much this will cost is difficult because it will depend on the condition of the car you buy. The good thing is you can find alot of parts used in good condition from folks here. Every Evo I have owned has been low mileage to mint condition so I didn't have to spend any money on fixing anything other than a bad harness on my second Evo which fried the ECU... I blame the previous owner but that is another story. The fix wasn't terribly expensive though.

I have to say with the 2018 STi recently announced with revised brakes, seats but same crap engine, I don't get what Subaru is thinking.

I would focus on which Evo you want to buy first. Then research each platform here. The positive things that you will enjoy out of Evo is the reliability of the motor compared to an STi.

I am sure some folks will chime in with more insight so you can get an idea. If you are pretty handy working on your own car you can save a good bit of money though. There are also lots of good shops that are vendors here that may also help you round up the cost.
Thank you for this. I am set on an evo 8-9 with a 5 speed. I hear that the MR6 is not as strong as the 5. That being said I have found plenty evo8's for around 15-20k in my area. Granted I get the evo for 15-20 I'm willing to put about 10-25 into the evo right away, but I'm not sure how far that is going to take me in the build but I'm sure that's something you guys could help me gather a better idea for. Thanks again for taking time Astro. Love this community more already.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
evo with 5-8k into it (turbo kit, cams, supporting mods, tune) will make high 400's and do it all day long without breaking a sweat

FP Red, whatever size turbo that is, is and will always be one of my favorites. High 400's, fast spool for the power it makes, easy to daily

if you want to dump that much money into the evo, call some of the bigger shops (stm, buschur, english racing, cbrd, etc) and see what they have for sale. if you buy the evo pre-built you'll save a lot of money and still end up with the car you want
Old Jan 6, 2017, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the Evo world. Your comments mimic those of my coworker who has a 2010 STi he has owned since new. He's gone through 3 engines...and is only pushing about 350whp with each build (bolt-on's, turbo, and 91 octane).

I warned him before he bought it...but he's Subaru for life

I've had my Evo9 for about 8 years. The past 4.5 years have been with simple bolt-on's, BBK turbo, and E85. 440whp all day long on a stock engine...not even cams. Super reliable, docile and decent mpg for that power.

Best of luck with finding that right Evo!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
What is it about the EJ motors that make them so fragile? Stock or sleeved doesn't seem to matter. There are always issues with them.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
evo with 5-8k into it (turbo kit, cams, supporting mods, tune) will make high 400's and do it all day long without breaking a sweat

FP Red, whatever size turbo that is, is and will always be one of my favorites. High 400's, fast spool for the power it makes, easy to daily

if you want to dump that much money into the evo, call some of the bigger shops (stm, buschur, english racing, cbrd, etc) and see what they have for sale. if you buy the evo pre-built you'll save a lot of money and still end up with the car you want
I like that about the evo. But then again, here I am getting quotes for a new block for my sti at a price of $7,100 (that's for a block that handles 700whp) and you can track the sh** out of it. I would have a big shop near me do the build but I c any stand how much I have to pay them in labor.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll

This^

You may want to invest more in the initial purchase and buy what you wanted from one of the shops/customers to save on the build. Unless it's the build that you want.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laxman
This^

You may want to invest more in the initial purchase and buy what you wanted from one of the shops/customers to save on the build. Unless it's the build that you want.

agreed, my first step is to sell my car first.