Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Debating on buying this Evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debating on buying this Evo 9

Hi guys,

I currently own a 04 WRX but my dream car is an Evo 9. Ive had the WRX for a little over a half of a year and love it but Ive been searching for an evo forever and today something came up on my facebook. A beautiful rally red evo 9.

Here's the link. http://www.deandaauto.com/2006_Mitsu..._265831172.veh

Now, its got 100k on it and to me that's not bad (being a subaru guy) but as far as evo's go, what kind of things start to go wrong right at this time? What should I ask the dealership selling it? What are some common concerns?

The car is tuned for e85 and is mostly stock besides that. This shouldn't be a problem because my WRX is on e85 as well after I put in ID1000 injectors and a 255 fuel pump.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ask the dealership for 3 days to take it to your mechanic.
Take it straight to your local mitsubishi dealership or a reputable shop that specializes in the platform.
Bumper to bumper inspection.
That way it's a go or no go..
Old Jan 26, 2017, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
it looks to be in pretty decent shape, but I think they're asking too much. usually 100k evo 9 sells for around 16-18k. Searching through Facebook is another good way to find an evo because I see people use that to list their cars for sale all the time. Finding one through a dealer does make financing it easier though
Old Jan 26, 2017, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo.matt
it looks to be in pretty decent shape, but I think they're asking too much. usually 100k evo 9 sells for around 16-18k. Searching through Facebook is another good way to find an evo because I see people use that to list their cars for sale all the time. Finding one through a dealer does make financing it easier though
That is the only reason im considering going for this one at a dealership; I need a loan for it. The price is negotiable so id see how low he would go.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Like lonestarr20 said, take it to a shop that has knowledge on these cars. Make sure to perform a compression and, if needed, leak down test. Carfax is a must nowadays. Try to find out who tuned the car for E85 too. Other than that, it looks good.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by redrabbit348
Hi guys,

I currently own a 04 WRX but my dream car is an Evo 9. Ive had the WRX for a little over a half of a year and love it but Ive been searching for an evo forever and today something came up on my facebook. A beautiful rally red evo 9.

Here's the link. http://www.deandaauto.com/2006_Mitsu..._265831172.veh

Now, its got 100k on it and to me that's not bad (being a subaru guy) but as far as evo's go, what kind of things start to go wrong right at this time? What should I ask the dealership selling it? What are some common concerns?

The car is tuned for e85 and is mostly stock besides that. This shouldn't be a problem because my WRX is on e85 as well after I put in ID1000 injectors and a 255 fuel pump.

Any help is much appreciated.
What trim package is this Evo? Is this an SE or MR ? Confused by the lip/ 5 speed/ all leather/ sunroof
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It's the SSL package.

Not a big fan of how they painted the whole spoiler red (or at least the wicker bill, from what I can see on my phone), but that can always be swapped out.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
It's the SSL package.

Not a big fan of how they painted the whole spoiler red (or at least the wicker bill, from what I can see on my phone), but that can always be swapped out.
motor looks stockish. Body looks clean for a rally red. Also has a JDM bumper, tanabe medallion catback from I can tell.

I am with what someone said about taking to your mechanic or someone that knows the cars well and have a look over. Good luck.