Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So whos going to buy this Brand New Evo 9 MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So whos going to buy this Brand New Evo 9 MR?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/112482975831#full-history
Old Jul 15, 2017, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dang it's at 50k and the reserve hasn't even been met. Wonder how much the seller wants for it...
Old Jul 15, 2017, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo47
Dang it's at 50k and the reserve hasn't even been met. Wonder how much the seller wants for it...
heard close to 80k
Old Jul 15, 2017, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
oh man wow. i would still never buy one for that much. rather buy a used one and rip the block out and build.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
but, someone will buy this. someone crazy enough.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
My buddy works there as a tech. They want $150k
Old Jul 15, 2017, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
My buddy works there as a tech. They want $150k
that's insane.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Would be cool to have, but damn that's a lot... Hopefully whoever gets it treats it right
Old Jul 16, 2017, 07:07 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Heard about this and fully expected to see a thread. I'm not at all surprised by the pricing. The market may shake itself out in the next five years or so. That's when the bulk of the beat-to-crap Evos will be off the road. Add a chance of additional demand, and high values for mint cars are a real possibility.

Let me use my own IX as an example of the market's current perception. The car looks stock and its paint is relatively flawless. A few weeks ago, we were invited to bring our Evolution to an annual automotive event that usually only features (truly) restored Muscle and Classics. My point is, the automotive establishment is beginning to take notice and these folks have money. A lot of money.

While the Evolution traditionally appealed to the Japanese car enthusiast and an occasional outlier like myself, if the "classic"car guy starts to favor the platform. the prices will likely rise significantly higher. Again, this only applies to relatively low-mileage, close-to-stock examples. Only time will tell.

I'm very curious to see where this auction ends up. At this point in time I'm confident thinking that it's the Japanese car enthusiast who's bidding. It'll be very interesting to see where his limit lies. Not sure the car will reach $150K <gulp>, but $80K would still be one hell of a number!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's ridiculous... They prob have no intention of selling and prob using it for publicity. It is a stealership afterall. That price, especially $150k - $80k, can get you ALOT more car at Barrett or Mecum.

There is a Toyota dealer in my area that has a mint 94 Supra that they use for advertising and there is no way they would sell it... Draws too much attention.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

damn, the bid just jumped from 60K to 80K...getting serious
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
People spend a million on ferrari. A car collector will think $150k is chump change
Old Jul 16, 2017, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I always see this car since I go to that dealership a lot. I had heard rumors of them turning down offers that are around what the bidding is at right now.

I'm curious about the bidders -- the one in the lead seems like they have only bid on this, so I'm hoping that accounts aren't being made solely to artificially inflate the sale price.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:08 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I always see this car since I go to that dealership a lot. I had heard rumors of them turning down offers that are around what the bidding is at right now.

I'm curious about the bidders -- the one in the lead seems like they have only bid on this, so I'm hoping that accounts aren't being made solely to artificially inflate the sale price.
My thought, as well. Sure hope not. This sale could mean a lot for the platform and could influence how some treat the cars they buy used.

Let's use a Porsche example. A man recently sold his 2,000 mile GT4. He loved the car, but felt like he had to sell when he was confronted with its value at 2,000 miles vs 10,000 miles. The depreciation due to mileage was too great to bear, financially. Similarly, say one finds a used low-mileage, stock IX. Uncorking the motor, which requires 1-3 parts, depending, will have no real influence on the perceived value of the car, as no one even has to know they're there, but other mods will.

All of a sudden those awful cams that make the car like like crap with no benefit don't just cost, say, $1000. That cost is now significantly higher, as the value of a stock-like Evolution soars. That's bound to have some effect on the aftermarket. Likely not immediately. If this car sells for $80K, perhaps in not too long.

The car is only original once. Most Evos were modded into oblivion. Stock and stock-ish cars are rare. If the traditional automotive collector enters the market, the monetary gap will likely sit higher. Damn, I really hope the auction goes through!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Mine's still bone stock. You said yours was, right?

Quick Reply: So whos going to buy this Brand New Evo 9 MR?