Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AC blows cold then warm then cold again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AC blows cold then warm then cold again

Hey everyone

so my ac is acting strange.. It will blow Cold air, then after 2-5 minutes it will start to blow warm air for a few minutes, then blow cold air again.. its kinda like a pattern. The compressor is on and moves and there is enough freon in the system, so not exactly sure what the problem is..
Old Apr 23, 2018, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This post may help you, they appear to have a similar issue. I had this issue with my Honda, turns out the AC system was over charged from previous owner.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hen-stops.html
Old Apr 27, 2018, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this can happen when the system if overcharged, triggering the high pressure sensor and shutting the ac off. This will cycle on and off, kind of like how youre describing
Old May 1, 2018, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Yea just took a second look and the system is overcharged.. Any ideas how to safety get freon out?
Old May 1, 2018, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
Yea just took a second look and the system is overcharged.. Any ideas how to safety get freon out?
What I'd want is the exact charge prescribed by Mitsubishi. That requires taking it to a shop, having all refrigerant extracted and then charging with the book amount of refrigerant with dye. This should cost you about $120 but then you know, if the system continues to act up, it is not due to refrigerant and you need to look elsewhere.
Old May 1, 2018, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed for ideas.

I've had a similar issue for a few years and shops have had issues catching it. The last shop I took it to, that could catch it, said $1100 for a new system. Looks like I'll be looking for a different shop or two.
Old May 1, 2018, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by rival879
Subscribed for ideas.

I've had a similar issue for a few years and shops have had issues catching it. The last shop I took it to, that could catch it, said $1100 for a new system. Looks like I'll be looking for a different shop or two.
If the compressor grenaded and scattered metal throughout the system, that might be the only choice. One failure very common to the Evo A/C is the clutch wearing out. The clutch is good for about 100K in moderate climates, if you live in the South it could be a lot less.
Old May 2, 2018, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by barneyb
If the compressor grenaded and scattered metal throughout the system, that might be the only choice.
Thanks for the insight, I hadn't considered that. I guess for $1100, I could get a second opinion.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:13 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Any place that does A/C repair can catch/vacuum/return the 134. It shouldn't cost that much money. I'm kinda unsure on current pricing because I have a "guy". I know it's not $1,100 though

Originally Posted by barneyb
If the compressor grenaded and scattered metal throughout the system, that might be the only choice. One failure very common to the Evo A/C is the clutch wearing out. The clutch is good for about 100K in moderate climates, if you live in the South it could be a lot less.
134k and still going. Yay for living in CA haha.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashEvolution
This post may help you, they appear to have a similar issue. I had this issue with my Honda, turns out the AC system was over charged from previous owner.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hen-stops.html

I had this issue with my Honda also, x2 for checking it out
Old May 3, 2018, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 143k on mine and it still works. I did however have to get the washer kit for the clutch. It wasn't working and it ended up that the cutch was too far for the magnet to engage properly. The forums helped a lot with solving that issue!
Old May 5, 2018, 04:51 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
How did you take a second look? Through the window on the line or evaporator? Without an A/C machine there's little to no way to tell if your system measurements are off (oil, refrigerant, etc.)

SAFELY would mean attaching proper hoses and evacuating the R134a out of the system into a holding tank. The careless alternative is to let out refrigerant into the atmosphere little by little until your system balances out (illegal). Nobody who matters cares about the environment anymore anyway so whatever. Without knowing the proper ounces of R134a, compressor oil and condition of other associated A/C system parts, it's kinda like a guessing game.

Most common A/C issue with these vehicles is the air gap on the compressor clutch narrowing causing intermittent A/C issues.
Old May 5, 2018, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kevin.
How did you take a second look? Through the window on the line or evaporator? Without an A/C machine there's little to no way to tell if your system measurements are off (oil, refrigerant, etc.)

SAFELY would mean attaching proper hoses and evacuating the R134a out of the system into a holding tank. The careless alternative is to let out refrigerant into the atmosphere little by little until your system balances out (illegal). Nobody who matters cares about the environment anymore anyway so whatever. Without knowing the proper ounces of R134a, compressor oil and condition of other associated A/C system parts, it's kinda like a guessing game.

Most common A/C issue with these vehicles is the air gap on the compressor clutch narrowing causing intermittent A/C issues.
I bought one of those recharge bottles that had the gauage at the top.. Without putting any freon in the system, I just checked the current pressure and it was high.. I guess I'll just have to bring it to a shop that can get it out safety.. Or just bring it to the stealership because while the fix the new recall issue
Old May 5, 2018, 06:44 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I bought one of those recharge bottles that had the gauage at the top.. Without putting any freon in the system, I just checked the current pressure and it was high.. I guess I'll just have to bring it to a shop that can get it out safety.. Or just bring it to the stealership because while the fix the new recall issue
I advise against getting A/C service performed at the dealer. I would take your car to a Bridgestone store (Firestone/Tires Plus) where you can get a free A/C performance check. This will get someone with a A/C certification to check your system out with a legit machine to sort out your problem.