Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 2 RS questions

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EVO 2 RS questions

A few of you might have noticed a while back I was asking questions on a evo 1. Decided to wait for a the Evo 2 to make into a steet/rally car after some further research I think it’s a better built car. Wanted to know more about the 4g63t as a engine and smaller parts as a whole.

1. How is reliability at the stock power? At the stock power what can I do to increase reliability. From the power level I’m going for I think it’s best I just refresh the engine.

2. Does anyone have a recommendation for coilovers. Not full on rally coilovers, but something I can raise it to get some more clearance.

3. A recommendation for bushings would also be great.

4. A part site recommendation would also be great for all the small stuff besides ebay.

Last edited by kelvinj520; May 4, 2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old May 4, 2018, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Reliability at stock power is fine, just like any other 4G63T car. It will last a long time on a low-stress setup. Why not just stick with the 4G63? There is no point in swapping to a 4G64 if you're just to keep it stock.

Transmissions are the worry with their age, especially when they deal with a lot of torque. Depending on which variation of transmission your Evo 2 would have, it might have some fragile transmission parts. Most had the double-synchro 3rd and 4th gears, those are quite strong. The large-diameter, single-synchro (Evo 1 style) 3/4 hub and slider can be weak, and explodes at 400 ft-lbs. Replacement parts are GONE.

Rally cars (built for loose surfaces) like soft spring rates, typically close to the OEM rates, or softer. To get that in a coilver would cost a lot of money, since it would be custom. If you just want to jack it up and have some fun with it, get some KYB Super Rally struts and put some soft-rate rally springs on them. That's what mine had when I bought it, though the springs were stiffer. I think GAB Sports or something in Japan makes softer ones.

Bushings: my preference has always been the Ralliart bushings since they're rubber, but they're pretty much all gone, too. You're stuck with a SuperPro kit - it's expensive ($1100-1200 landed), and British dealers don't like to sell overseas for some reason. Whiteline makes a couple of bushings, and I would stay away from Hardrace.

There is no single site to find parts. It's all patchwork, and takes a long, long time to find bits and pieces. You'd best buddy up with someone in Japan who can find you these things, or prepare to be ripped off badly by US dealers.
The following users liked this post:
kelvinj520 (May 4, 2018)
Old May 4, 2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by RS200
Reliability at stock power is fine, just like any other 4G63T car. It will last a long time on a low-stress setup. Why not just stick with the 4G63? There is no point in swapping to a 4G64 if you're just to keep it stock.

Transmissions are the worry with their age, especially when they deal with a lot of torque. Depending on which variation of transmission your Evo 2 would have, it might have some fragile transmission parts. Most had the double-synchro 3rd and 4th gears, those are quite strong. The large-diameter, single-synchro (Evo 1 style) 3/4 hub and slider can be weak, and explodes at 400 ft-lbs. Replacement parts are GONE.

Rally cars (built for loose surfaces) like soft spring rates, typically close to the OEM rates, or softer. To get that in a coilver would cost a lot of money, since it would be custom. If you just want to jack it up and have some fun with it, get some KYB Super Rally struts and put some soft-rate rally springs on them. That's what mine had when I bought it, though the springs were stiffer. I think GAB Sports or something in Japan makes softer ones.

Bushings: my preference has always been the Ralliart bushings since they're rubber, but they're pretty much all gone, too. You're stuck with a SuperPro kit - it's expensive, and British dealers don't like to sell overseas for some reason. Whiteline makes a couple of bushings, and I would stay away from Hardrace.

There is no single site to find parts. It's all patchwork, and takes a long, long time to find bits and pieces. You'd best buddy up with someone in Japan who can find you these things, or prepare to be ripped off badly by US dealers.
Edited the 4g64 part meant to put 4g63.
Old May 4, 2018, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

The 4G63 in the Evo 2 will make 300whp with minor modifications (bigger injectors, fuel pressure regulator, boost controller, intake/exhaust, tuning) and it would be very reliable as long as maintenance was kept up-to-date. You may need a new clutch at that power level; I fried my clutch the second time I launched it around that power.
kelvinj520 (May 4, 2018)
Old May 4, 2018, 07:44 PM

The 4G63 in the Evo 2 will make 300whp with minor modifications (bigger injectors, fuel pressure regulator, boost controller, intake/exhaust, tuning) and it would be very reliable as long as maintenance was kept up-to-date. You may need a new clutch at that power level; I fried my clutch the second time I launched it around that power.
Sounds good. Would like to retain the 256hp so now I just gotta find a solid car and wait it out.
Old May 4, 2018, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Only two E2 RS cars available right now, though some come and go at USS Auto Auction. The RS is handily passing the GSR in value, especially for well-kept cars. They are very quickly becoming collectibles. There isn't a single Evo 1 available on Goo-Net now, something I have never seen. My guess is that the US import craze is going to take most of what's left, so prices will go up accordingly. Something like these two should be kept as-is and unmodified, they will be $50,000 cars within 5-10 years. A red Evo 6.5 Tommi Makinen edition has already edged the $50,000 CAD mark, and it's not even close to US-eligible.
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/MITSUBISHI/LANCER/700040371130170910001/index.html
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/MITSUBISHI/LANCER/700100180330170720001/index.html

If you want a rally basket, get something like this instead, and pay the upkeep. It will never have the value of a low-mileage car, but you can have fun with it: http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/MITSUBISHI/LANCER/700080339930170816002/index.html
kelvinj520 (May 4, 2018)
Old May 4, 2018, 08:15 PM

If you want a rally basket, get something like this instead, and pay the upkeep. It will never have the value of a low-mileage car, but you can have fun with it: http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/MITSUBISHI/LANCER/700080339930170816002/index.html
Exactly what I'm looking to buy.