Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
What are all the exhaust shops going to do now if exhaust cant be modified? Are they all going to shut down cause they would be doing illegal work? Are aftermarket exhaust companies going to come out with exhaust with CARB approval numbers?
​​​​​​The logical next step is State will send undercover agents for sting operations. They will out shops out of business instead of illegal drug rings...watch.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
​​​​​​The logical next step is State will send undercover agents for sting operations. They will out shops out of business instead of illegal drug rings...watch.
Sad and Likely
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Yeah it has definitely gotten out of hand over here. I always tell people that the easiest way to make and keep friends at any party is to not bring up religion or politics. Overall there are many far left, but there are also far right when we need more beliefs in between the two IMO.
I never talk about either of those. It never
​​​​​​ ends well ,so I avoid those topics at all costs LOL. Most people can't have a conversation about either without getting all emotional.

What are all the exhaust shops going to do now if exhaust cant be modified? Are they all going to shut down cause they would be doing illegal work? Are aftermarket exhaust companies going to come out with exhaust with CARB approval numbers?
It's not illegal to modify an exhaust post cat. converter.

Here's the last bit of news from Fresno's DragNet operations. In car anyone is curious. it was a very similar situation to what is going on now. it even made the community college paper LOL

Too fast, too curious? - The Rampage ...
PDFThe Rampage Online › 06_F_03_Sep27

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.therampageonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/06_F_03_Sep27.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjNweb1ieTfAhWEGXwKHXe lBRIQFjAQegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3I-4qdRsyNX03qIO2l93f7
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Nothing has changed IMO. Its no diff than buying an exhaust or header today / "For off road use only". These shops may just have to get an acknowledgement signature before they start the work

Heck, i just installed Calif illegal gauges in my car. Those AEM gauges are illegal in CA
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:51 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
dealing with smog testing is just part of the California car culture, there are many ways to approach it. The laws about what can and can't be done with exhaust haven't changed so businesses should be fine.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Nothing has changed IMO. Its no diff than buying an exhaust or header today / "For off road use only". These shops may just have to get an acknowledgement signature before they start the work

Heck, i just installed Calif illegal gauges in my car. Those AEM gauges are illegal in CA

Really? I have never heard about gauges being a problem, what code?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Kinda like other things they dont worry about...

Tint...
headlights..
ride height..

I do wish they enforced the headlight pollution tho (lol) i hate the trucks with their hi's, lo's and fog lights all HIDd out in traffic.

z
E
R
E
p

Old Jan 10, 2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by zeRep85RA
Kinda like other things they dont worry about...

Tint...
headlights..
ride height..

I do wish they enforced the headlight pollution tho (lol) i hate the trucks with their hi's, lo's and fog lights all HIDd out in traffic.

z
E
R
E
p
****in truth, don't get me started about lifted trucks that haven't adjusted their headlights.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 02:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
No code stated, just this. When i got the kit i just said Whatever

Old Jan 10, 2019, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
No code stated, just this. When i got the kit i just said Whatever

Huh, maybe just some extreme/generic CYA?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Yeah it has definitely gotten out of hand over here. I always tell people that the easiest way to make and keep friends at any party is to not bring up religion or politics. Overall there are many far left, but there are also far right when we need more beliefs in between the two IMO.
these laws have nothing to do with the left or right, most folks are looking at the wrong axis of the political spectrum

if you can read a dyno chart then you should be able to understand that. Unfortunately, the reason many people can't handle politics at a party is because schools don't address this. This results in people on the right thinking that democrat politicians are authoritarian monsters, and people on the left thinking that republican politicians are authoritarian monsters, when in fact both are colossal pieces of ****, because they both work to centralize power. If republicans ran this state we wouldn't be allowed to pop a boner, but instead with democrats we aren't allowed to pop a firearm, it's the same ****

as long as you're part of the base that the government is pandering to then you will be satisfied by the empty gestures and abusive legislation like this. If you're a relatively affluent yoga mom in orange county then you will LOVE this new exhaust law

the thing that should bring people together to understand this **** is that it is always classist, and always exploitative. Poor people with cheap cars and bad taste will be taxed by these laws, while the lambos and mclarens in west LA will not. It doesn't matter if it's texas or california, someone is always getting ****ed

Last edited by Name User; Jan 11, 2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 08:25 AM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Le sigh.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Name User
these laws have nothing to do with the left or right, most folks are looking at the wrong axis of the political spectrum

if you can read a dyno chart then you should be able to understand that. Unfortunately, the reason many people can't handle politics at a party is because schools don't address this. This results in people on the right thinking that democrat politicians are authoritarian monsters, and people on the left thinking that republican politicians are authoritarian monsters, when in fact both are colossal pieces of ****, because they both work to centralize power. If republicans ran this state we wouldn't be allowed to pop a boner, but instead with democrats we aren't allowed to pop a firearm, it's the same ****

as long as you're part of the base that the government is pandering to then you will be satisfied by the empty gestures and abusive legislation like this. If you're a relatively affluent yoga mom in orange county then you will LOVE this new exhaust law

the thing that should bring people together to understand this **** is that it is always classist, and always exploitative. Poor people with cheap cars and bad taste will be taxed by these laws, while the lambos and mclarens in west LA will not. It doesn't matter if it's texas or california, someone is always getting ****ed

We know, we know Biggie and I were just playin around. I agree with you on that stereotype about yoga moms hating loud exhaust haha!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is some more info about this new law:

Fact vs. Fiction: Explaining California’s New Exhaust Noise Law

By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff
Beginning January 1, 2019, a motorist cited for violating the current California exhaust noise law can receive an immediate fine. Previously, motorists received what is known as a “fix-it” ticket, which allowed for 30 days to correct the violation.The Issue

California Assembly Bill (A.B.) 1824 was signed into law by then-Governor Jerry Brown in June of 2018 as part of the state’s budget process. The legislation amended how California law enforcement officials may issue a citation for exhaust noise violations.

The bill has generated significant concern within the industry and enthusiast community, along with some misinformation. This document seeks to clarify the matter. Most notably, enactment of A.B. 1824 did not change existing laws pertaining to exhaust noise or the sale and installation of aftermarket exhaust systems in California. Here are the facts.

Were California’s exhaust noise rules changed?

No. Since 2003, exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, may not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). This was not changed by A.B. 1824

Is it now illegal to install an aftermarket exhaust system on my vehicle?

No. The sale and installation of an aftermarket exhaust system remains legal in California so long as it does not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under SAE J1169 and complies with all other exhaust and safety laws and regulations.

If exhaust noise laws didn’t change, what did?

Beginning January 1, 2019, a motorist cited for violating the current California exhaust noise law can receive an immediate fine. Previously, motorists received what is known as a “fix-it” ticket, which allowed for 30-days to correct the violation.

What are my options if I get a ticket?

Consumers in receipt of a ticket still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. BAR does not currently issue preemptive certificates of compliance.

If I get pulled over, will I receive a $1,000 fine?

According to the Judicial Council of California’s Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedules for 2019, the suggested base fine/fee for a first conviction is $25 with a total fee of $193.

I’ve still got questions?

Please contact Christian Robinson, SEMA’s Director of State Government Affairs & SEMA PAC, at stateleg@sema.org.

Resources

BAR Certificate of Compliance

2003 California 95-Decibel Law

Fact vs. Fiction

Below is information from California Bureau of Automotive Repair:

Vehicle Exhaust Noise Level Certification

California law requires that all vehicles must be equipped with an adequate muffler to prevent excessive noise from the exhaust system. It also prohibits the operation of a passenger vehicle (other than a motorcycle), or a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of less than 6,000 pounds, that has an exhaust noise level greater than 95 decibels, when tested under specified conditions.

If you have been issued a citation for operating a vehicle in violation of Vehicle Code Section 27150 or 27151, you must take your vehicle to a state Referee Center.

Note: The Referee is only authorized to inspect and certify passenger cars and trucks under 6,000 GVWR that have been cited for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151 of the Vehicle Code. The maximum decibel level applies only to those vehicles. Citations issued to other vehicles (motorcycles, trucks exceeding 5999 pounds GVWR) are not part of this program. Check with the agency that issued the citation, and/or the court, to find out how to show proof of correction for these other vehicles.

The following steps outline the procedures you'll need to follow to get a certificate of compliance, which shows your vehicle's exhaust noise level is within the applicable standards.

Step 1If you feel your vehicle's exhaust system has been modified or has deteriorated so that the noise level exceeds current standards, you should have the exhaust system repaired before proceeding to step 2.

OR

If you have reason to believe that your vehicle's exhaust noise level meets the current standards, proceed directly to step 2.

NOTE: Citations have a court appearance date. Timely action can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.

Step 2Have your vehicle tested at a state Referee Center. To make an appointment, call the Referee Scheduling Center at (800) 622-7733. Have the citation and vehicle registration with you when you call. The Center will tell you any fees that will need to be paid for the test.

Step 3The Referee will conduct an exhaust noise level test in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J1169, May 1998, to determine if your vehicle's exhaust noise level exceeds the noise standard (95db).

If your vehicle meets the standard, the Referee will give you a "Certificate of Compliance." Take the certificate to the court (See Step 5).

If your vehicle does not meet the standard, the Referee will give you a report that lists the recorded decibel readings. Your vehicle must be repaired to meet the standard of not more than 95 decibels (See Step 4).

Step 4If your vehicle does not meet the standard, additional repairs must be made before you can make a second appointment with the Referee Scheduling Center.

Step 5Once your vehicle receives a "Certificate of Compliance" from a Referee Center, present the certificate to the court as proof that your vehicle is in compliance with California law.

NOTE: Inspection fees and any necessary repairs are your responsibility. You may also be required to pay a fine and other legal costs when reporting to the court. Also, note that most citations have a deadline. Timely repairs can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.

If you have any questions, please contact the local law enforcement agency that issued the citation or the Bureau of Automotive Repair at (800) 952-5210.

Here is more information from SEMA:

CALIFORNIA EXHAUST NOISE TESTING PROGRAM OPEN FOR BUSINESS

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) has begun operation of the state’s motor vehicle exhaust noise testing program. The program, the product of a SEMA-sponsored law, will equip California automobile hobbyists to fight unfair exhaust noise citations issued by state law enforcement officers. Motorists can now prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards. The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued.

Approximately 40 Smog Check stations that provide referee functions are performing the test. These referee stations, located across the state, will issue certificates of compliance for vehicles when tests of their exhaust systems demonstrate that they emit no more than 95 decibels, under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). However, only those vehicles that have received a citation for an exhaust noise violation will be permitted to submit their vehicle for the test. Later this year, BAR will issue a regulation to provide for the cost to consumers for performing the test. Tests performed prior to the official establishment of the testing fee will be performed at no cost to consumers.

According to BAR officials, to have a cited vehicle tested at a state referee center, motorists must make an appointment by calling a toll-free number. Cited motorists should have the citation and vehicle registration available when calling.

"The new law forces compliance with an objectively measured standard in a fair and predictable test," said SEMA Senior Director of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. "Through this procedure, cited motorists who drive vehicles legally equipped with modified exhaust systems can confirm that those vehicles comply with California’s exhaust noise standards.
"For years, the enforcement policy used by police officers deemed nearly all exhaust system modifications illegal, even where the noise levels were not excessive or unusual," McDonald added. "That policy left exhaust system manufacturers, dealers and their customers without recourse."

Hobbyists who modify their vehicles for durability, appearance and performance "prefer aftermarket exhaust systems," McDonald said. "By establishing this evenhanded testing process, this program should serve to benefit consumers who favor these state-of-the-art products, the aftermarket industry which markets them, and even police officers who are charged with enforcing the law."
Old Jan 11, 2019, 05:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by city
Here is some more info about this new law:

Nicely done. Good info

Quick Reply: Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!