Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Did your EVO insurance go up?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did your EVO insurance go up?

I just got my renewal statement for my auto insurance. It went up 8% annually. Not much, but I've never noticed such a significant increase while keeping the same cars. What percentage have your premiums go up?

I'm curious to know if this is an industry wide increase (like med insurance), expensive claims, or under-estimating previous year's premiums.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

I'm in NY and my insurance rates have stayed the same, red car too. I guess some of the companies haven't caught on that this car is more then your average friendly econo-box.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

huhu.....Well 8 percent isn't much to worry about. But I am sure the idiots who are crashing/totalling/injuring themselves in Evos is starting to take it's toll on our rates.

Since moving to SoCAL from VA, my Evo's insurance has gone up a few hundred percent. It was $1600 a year in VA....It is now $4400 a year. But that has a lot to do with the way driving offenses effect rates out here....

SC~ who will be switching carriers this week.

Last edited by Secret Chimp; May 6, 2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

My rates went up, but I was specifically told it was do to the fact that the evo is less safe than my last vehicle (Lexus IS300). It has less airbags and lower front impact rating, so I took it in the shorts (like $30 more a month). Sux!

But it's well worth it for this particular car, IMO. :-D
Old May 6, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Mine went from 55 to 60 per month. Fortunately I have had only one infraction since "97" but it will not go on my record (wheeee its drivng school for me). My "00" 3g Eclipse gt was 50 per month so not much of a bump up considering the diff in value on the "00" and the "03" plus the Evo list was 5k (15%) higher. I live in Northern CA (thats above Sacto, not the SF Bay Area) and so I get rural area rates along with my multiple car and old geezer discounts.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

mine went up
Old May 6, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow $4000 for one year, omg. I pay $2600 for the whole year and its on 2 cars S4 and EVO
Old May 6, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

In Ca, when you get your first ticket, you go to driving school. After completing the school, that ticket is wiped from your record. So when the ins reps see a ticket on your record, it really means that you likely had 2 tickets....one wipedoff after going to the school, and one that appears on the record.

See the problem is that most other states do not have traffic school. There is no way to get that first ticket wiped from your record.

So when CA insurance agents saw 2 tickets in the last 12 months on my record, to their CA-centric mindset, I really had 3 offenses in a year....hence the awfully high rate.

I do have a quote from another company that is $2k for my Evo, my Mini and my apt....now thats more like it. Afterall, I am willing to pay a penalty for my less than stellar driving record. But to pay $2400 more than I need to is crazy!

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; May 6, 2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old May 6, 2004, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

chicago has traffic school and court supervision...which is good...so not all of my 19 tickets are on my record...yeah i know i am terrible...i don't think i have to worry about my rates raising for anymore tickets though...i think i am already in the "high risk" category
Old May 6, 2004, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kdogg
I just got my renewal statement for my auto insurance. It went up 8% annually. Not much, but I've never noticed such a significant increase while keeping the same cars. What percentage have your premiums go up?

I'm curious to know if this is an industry wide increase (like med insurance), expensive claims, or under-estimating previous year's premiums.

i'll take expensive claims for $1000, alex.

i just got out of the body shop for damage that i incurred over the holidays. i slid around a corner and nosed into a guardrail at, i swear to god, about 5mph. the nose popped in and back out screwing up the grill screens, the hood had a small dent in the front, the headlight lens was scratched and pushed about 1/2" out of place, tweaking the fender above it slightly.

the initial estimate? $4700 doillars.

the guy at the body shop was incredulous. he kept showing the quote to his coworkers and i, and we all had a good chuckle. but that wasn't the punch line.

once they tore down the car, they found more problems, and needed a supplemental claim. the intercooler was tilted slightly, and the mounting points were kinda mangled. better get the adjuster out.

the final claim? just over $7000 dollars.

and now the guys at the shop were really freaking. as he put it, "and that's only about $1000 in labor, all the rest is parts!". hilarious. the standout on my quote? headlamp assembly- $1400.

i swear- 5mph. i didn't even leave a mark on the guardrail...
Old May 6, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

^ that is the reason the Evo isn't available in canada!
Old May 6, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

My insurance went up. Looks like too many moms and dads buying their 16 - 17 year olds EVOs and then the kiddies going out and wrapping it around a telephone poll....