Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can they do this?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can they do this?

This is more an inshurince question then an Evo quesiton, but it does involve my evo and here is where i would get the best responce i think. So here is my story.

I got my evo about a week ago, a week prior to that i got a great inshurince quote and pollicy, full coverage, from a company who shall remain nameless. So because of this pollicy i got my evo, couldnt afford the car without the cheap pollicy.

Now they call my dad, him and i were joint drivers on the pollicy, and tell him because i have not been driving for 3 years i can not be insured with their company! They wait 2 weeks to tell us this, even after the car has been purchased and the pollecy has been put into effect!

So here is my question to you, CAN THEY DO THAT?!
Old May 10, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they are a no name, POS, unheard of company, yes they can. If it was like statefarm or something, big no; they would be up to there eyes in lawsuits.
Old May 10, 2004, 08:20 PM

yes they can it was just a quote they need to bring up your driving record for the past 3 yrs to realy get a price on your policy.
Old May 10, 2004, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

what state do you live in? I know if that happened to me I would say just f**k it take me off the policy and just leave my dad on as the only driver. Then when I hit the three year mark for driving add me on. But that is only because in Texas the insurance companies "insure cars, not drivers." But check with your state laws and insurance companies. If you as a person are required to have insurance get insurance, and don't play that game.
Old May 11, 2004, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when a traffic citation falls off of my 3 year record i have to wait until renewal before my premium is reduced. if you paid for a policy you should talk to them about waiting until the renewal to make changes because it doesn't sound like your record has changed.
Old May 11, 2004, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
If they are a no name, POS, unheard of company, yes they can. If it was like statefarm or something, big no; they would be up to there eyes in lawsuits.

this is wrong, a company can amend their policy ANY TIME THEY WANT FOR ANY REASON. its in your agreement, read it, you will find MANY amazing things. the most common one is to "re-rate" your car, like they did with me, they accepted the policy, and then the underwriter looked at it and "said nope, this is an EVO, NOT an OZ." and my policy became more. however, since i argued with them, i got them to comp me the difference for that policy, so they were cool (21st century), however, they DID NOT HAVE TOO. and at renewal, sure enough it was there.
Old May 11, 2004, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

How old are you??
Old May 13, 2004, 04:41 PM

a joint policy indicates that you were insured for that period of time...why would you be insured if you weren't intending to drive....so in their case...if they did have you on a joint policy....that's proof itself you have been driving for the past however long as long as u were under that policy. insurance companies will try to get u for these things... figure out what they're trying to do and use it against them. best bet...try another company...other companies are usually begging for you to jump to their side
Old May 13, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

just change it from a joint insured car to only insured under your father's name. you can be a listed driver that way you can still drive. But you don't need to be a primary.
Old May 13, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I think in the fine print that is only legible with a telescope does it say that the company has the right to make changes like that. That does really suck though, you bought the car under the impression that the insurance would be stright and now this happens. I had the same thing happen with Progressive, but it was resolved by a supervisor within like 10 of buying the car and recieving the new policy information...Just leave it in your father's name and just be listed a s a secondary driver and it will probably be cheaper!!
Old May 14, 2004, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

kinda of off topic, but kinda not..FWIW
microscopes make small things appear larger to view.
telecsopes make far away things appear larger to view.
Old May 14, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mister2zx3
kinda of off topic, but kinda not..FWIW
microscopes make small things appear larger to view.
telecsopes make far away things appear larger to view.