Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Trouble with heater controls?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with heater controls?

hi.

i've had this idiosyncracy since the car was almost new (<2000 miles). the "hot-cold" knob was difficult or sticky to turn through its full range. always worked; just felt like it had a sticky spot.

well, i wanted to put the heat on yesterday (34 degrees here!). it was tough to turn the knob, and then it "jumped" or slipped. its pointed all the way into the hottest range, but only cool air comes out. and now, you can't turn it all the way back to cold. it stops about 2/3 of the way and won't move any further.... basically, it "feels" easy to move, but isn't adjusting anything. its always cold air that comes out. the other knob, that controls where the air comes out (def, vent, floor) works perfectly.

i really don't want to go to the dealer unless i have to (a few mods, etc.); would prefer to fix this myself.

anyone with any ideas? cable broke? heater control module stripped some gears? is there a water control valve, like on my old honda, that has a cable going to it that might be stuck? or does the heater control knob simply control an air flapper valve?

any help would be appreciated!

thanx

todd
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:16 AM

I had the same problem. Mitsu fixed it when I had them work on other stuff.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:17 AM

Mine won't go all the way hot. It's always been hard to turn like you're describing and now if I turn it all the way to hot, it springs back about an inch. The air that comes out is pretty warm, but never gets really hot like before.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Go to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty. Having a few mods does not make your AC knob not turn right or break. Magnusson-Moss Act.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

There is a cable that runs above the right side of the driver's foot well (just left of the radio). Move the knob back and forth while feeling up there and you will find it. There is a bracket that the cable has to sit in for it to work. As long as you didn't break the bracket, you will be able to fix it. Mine slipped out once and I just reached up there and put it back in. Still works fine.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:24 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that whole climate control knobs like the crappiest knob system I've ever had on any of my car.

Look at gallant or outlander, they got a real nice knobs that clicks as you turn...

i'm looking into just changing that whole thing out with outlanders or something else. It's crappy.

Should have the dealer fix it tho, unless you take the center radio console out and see what's wrong with it and fix it yourself.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Just for clarification, the way I said to fix it does not require taking ANYTHING apart. You just reach up the right side of the driver's foot well while turning the knob and you should feel a cable moving. Then feel for the plastic piece on that and put it into the bracket if it slipped out. If you broke the bracket you will have to bring it to the dealer.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
There is a cable that runs above the right side of the driver's foot well (just left of the radio). Move the knob back and forth while feeling up there and you will find it. There is a bracket that the cable has to sit in for it to work. As long as you didn't break the bracket, you will be able to fix it. Mine slipped out once and I just reached up there and put it back in. Still works fine.
thanx!

the metal clip that holds to the bracket had deformed a little and let the cable pop out.

while i was under there, i greased the cable end, and the arm, linkage, and slider mech. hope it helps, cause it is back to the way it was before it broke; still has a stiff spot in the control at about half-hot. i think it may be a manufacture defect in the slider-damper box; hopefully the synthetic grease on the mechanism will help!

thanx for the info.

todd
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
Just for clarification, the way I said to fix it does not require taking ANYTHING apart. You just reach up the right side of the driver's foot well while turning the knob and you should feel a cable moving. Then feel for the plastic piece on that and put it into the bracket if it slipped out. If you broke the bracket you will have to bring it to the dealer.
Sweet! Mine does this too and now I know how to fix it. You guys rock
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:30 PM
choad

Moving to how to's questions /tips..
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

the same problem just happened to my car....and right when it started getting cold! i'm gonna go try out what ya'll said in a whole sec...i really hope it works
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribed
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:48 PM

What happens if you broke the knobs rod? Ie the white part the knob slides into. Is that rod replaceable? Jb Weld is NOT working.