Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Removal of the upper dash.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 01:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removal of the upper dash.

Ok, been looking and can't find this... but I'm looking to figure out how to remove the upper part of the dash. The top most cover of the entire dash.

I'm rebuilding a wrecked Evo, and the airbags are popped, and I need to know how to remove that, to fix the hole that the airbag punched through it.

An exploded diagram would be nice.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

you would have to start off by taking off the Environmental control cover. You do this by locating the screws which is fairly easy. You pull off the knobs of the environmental control(a/c, fan, etc...) all 3 but, make sure you do not twist while pulling off and replace them in the exact way you took them off. This will reveal the screws. Once you have this cover off it will reveal more screws to ultimately take each face cover off and then revealing the top platform screws. I'm pretty sure you'll have to take the instrument cluster plastic cover off on top of the steering wheel as well. That is even easier. just find the little screws that attatch them. I believe there are just 2 or 4 i forgot. happy screw hunting.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No, above that yet. The entire top of the dash.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Is this job not completed yet? Do you have the shop manual? I assume that your going to obtain a new or used pad (pad = top of the dash).

I replaced the pad about a year ago and used the shop manual for guidance. The effort requires removing the dash to access the the bottom of the pad where the aircon ducts are attached. There is no other way to swap the pad so overall budget 6 to 10 hours. Its not a hard job, but there are simply many clips and screws to deal with.

I suggest bagging and labeling the stuff as it comes off the dash so there is no confusion on where it goes on reassembly.

If you still need help I guess you could pm me an address and I could email you some pictures and diagrams.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 07:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I did get it removed. The biggest thing to remember, is the passenger airbag module MUST come off with the dash. You can't easily get it off, without taking this with. There are 2 screws holding that in.

And you are right, you cannot remove the pad portion, without taking the entire dash out of the car.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

I could use some pics/diagrams on this. I have about every screw and bolt I can find out of this thing and it still does not want to come out.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyanM
I could use some pics/diagrams on this. I have about every screw and bolt I can find out of this thing and it still does not want to come out.
Bump.

I've got about every screw out too, but it feels like the passenger side airbag is still secured. Ideas, suggestions welcome!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Bump.

I've got about every screw out too, but it feels like the passenger side airbag is still secured. Ideas, suggestions welcome!
I used the exploded dash PDF that is floating around. Using that, I found 2 more 10mm screws directly underneath the passenger airbag unit. That as it! I had 1 more bolt in the dead middle as well, backwards basically between where the vents were. That was it!

Some pics:

Last edited by boomn29; Dec 13, 2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

When you guys did this did you disconnect the battery due to messing with the airbag? And did you just unscrew the airbag and screw it onto the new upper dash pad?

Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cyrax91
When you guys did this did you disconnect the battery due to messing with the airbag? And did you just unscrew the airbag and screw it onto the new upper dash pad?

Thanks!
I'd definitely unhook the battery. I've always got my unhooked when sitting between events as it's a mini-battery and it'll drain down pretty quick.

I personally didn't put my airbag back in, my goal was to remove it.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
I'd definitely unhook the battery. I've always got my unhooked when sitting between events as it's a mini-battery and it'll drain down pretty quick.

I personally didn't put my airbag back in, my goal was to remove it.
When disconnecting the battery do you just remove the negative terminal?

Ah cool thanks man! But the airbag is transferrable right? Because my dash is a bit messed up so im purchasing a new one. But not looking at buying a new airbag as I plan to use the same one.