Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Question on rope method for springs/retainers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Forget the compressed air method. It introduces moisture into cylinders. Also, you really need to lock down crankshaft because the air will rotate your engine. At TDC, valve will drop more than 1 mm. I didn't measure, but I would guess 5-8 mm. You won't need rope for cylinders 1 & 4 if you will use rope method. It is tricky and you need to always pay attention to crank to make sure it doesn't move on you.
​Use a bar with holes to screw into crank sprocket and something else to keep it still while you work.
So what I’m gathering here is that TDC on 1&4 and stuff 2&3 with rope? I’m not trying to seem naive, just clarifying.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by jmrussell89

So what I’m gathering here is that TDC on 1&4 and stuff 2&3 with rope? I’m not trying to seem naive, just clarifying.
Yes.
​​​​​​There are many ways to do this. This is how I would do it. If I am doing this, I would put cylinder 1 to TDC, stuff cylinders 2 & 3. Compress rope a little by rotating pass TDC and lock crank. Then do the work with one eye watching the timing belt. Always keep it tight so it can't skip a tooth on bottom. Check timing marks after install and make sure all are passed TDC by that little bit to compress rope. Reverse back to TDC, verify it all lines up, then remove rope. Rotate 6-12 cycles and check marks again. As I recall, it takes 6 rotations to line timing marks up each time.
If first time, don't feel bad if you have to reset timing. GL
Old Mar 3, 2018, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Compress rope just a little. Remember, as you move passed TDC, cylinders 1 & 4 start opening. You have maybe 5 mm of cushion, so don't compress too much.
You can stuff cylinders 1 & 4 as insurance. Or do 1 & 4 at TDC reinstall cams and rotate 2 & 3 to TDC and finish. It is more work, but you can't drop valves inside if each cylinder is at TDC.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Mar 3, 2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wanted to post some results here, I didn't use rope at all...I went to TDC on 1/4, 2/3 and did it. No issues, and the valves barely even dropped, maybe 2mm. Everything is running great, and once I figured that out, the install was super easy. Compressed air and the rope aren't really needed if you just use a positive stop, or just eyeball the moment of TDC (where it pauses before dropping back down during the rotation) with a long extension or something.
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Jun 25, 2018)