Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

FiTronic Flex Fuel DIY

Old Oct 1, 2018, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo9_Dubai View Post
It is not the fitronic the issue. You can buy ANY Ethanol content sensor with a 5v output, such as AEM or Zeitronix and wire it to the ECU. It can be wired to the alt map switch pin and logged in evoscan. Although the issue remains that the few that have the rom+definition for the flexfuel options are selling it only. And if you buy it, that does not give you the definition so you can play with it and learn it yourself. I have done flexfuel on tephraxmod v3 and it is fairly simple, tune a pump gas map, tune an E85 map and enabling the flexfuel will do the rest.
Sensor reads Hz not Volts.
So its useless to ECU.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/files...nsor%20Kit.pdf

GCCODE:
The premise that Sensor signal can "just be used" by ECU is based on no understanding how ECU works, and how sensor works.

It if was so easy, it would not take professional electrical engineers, gifted software engineers, to develop a controller and ECU ROM.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 03:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 265 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo View Post
So its useless to ECU.

GCCODE:
The premise that Sensor signal can "just be used" by ECU is based on no understanding how ECU works, and how sensor works.

It if was so easy, it would not take professional electrical engineers, gifted software engineers, to develop a controller and ECU ROM.
The continental sensor that everyone uses (like that you linked to) does indeed output in Hz. However, all the flex fuel kits have a Hz to V translator which makes it usable as an input to the ECU. You can find these for under $200.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Oct 3, 2018)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 03:48 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Received 322 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
The continental sensor that everyone uses (like that you linked to) does indeed output in Hz. However, all the flex fuel kits have a Hz to V translator which makes it usable as an input to the ECU. You can find these for under $200.
I'm using an Innovate sensor/gauge. Much cheaper than the Fitronic, though I admittedly have no use for it's display. I don't even have my ethanol gauge out where I can see it.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 03:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 265 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj View Post
I'm using an Innovate sensor/gauge. Much cheaper than the Fitronic, though I admittedly have no use for it's display. I don't even have my ethanol gauge out where I can see it.
Zeitronix sells their ECA2 for $179. It's one of the cheapest options. The continental/gm sensor (part #13577429) itself can be had for $50. GM Harness for the sensor is $15. (part #13352241)

Ground, power, output. Done.

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 1, 2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 05:37 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
Zeitronix sells their ECA2 for $179. It's one of the cheapest options. The continental/gm sensor (part #13577429) itself can be had for $50. GM Harness for the sensor is $15. (part #13352241)

Ground, power, output. Done.
Sounds about right. My Innovate setup came with a sensor, all wiring, and a data logging/setup cable for $200 shipped. Seems to be the going rate.
ronaldo9 (Oct 9, 2018)
Old Oct 9, 2018, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo View Post
So its useless to ECU.

GCCODE:

Right the sensor does read hz no argument but the Innovate gauge does transform that signal into an output voltage 0-5 vdc which I connected to Pin 42 which allowed me to run ff. Very simple and cost effective and I'm still open to get the car tune by any tuner instead of 3. this only true for VIII but not IX
Old Oct 9, 2018, 02:28 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gqcode View Post
Right the sensor does read hz no argument but the Innovate gauge does transform that signal into an output voltage 0-5 vdc which I connected to Pin 42 which allowed me to run ff. Very simple and cost effective and I'm still open to get the car tune by any tuner instead of 3. this only true for VIII but not IX
Not true. I have a IX and used the same method.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj View Post
Not true. I have a IX and used the same method.
i believe he's referring to the Rom to use flex fuel on stock ecu. Currently its only available for evo 8 unless you made your own from the patch or purchased a fitronic kit.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 03:02 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronaldo9 View Post
i believe he's referring to the Rom to use flex fuel on stock ecu. Currently its only available for evo 8 unless you made your own from the patch or purchased a fitronic kit.
I know. I have a IX running Flex Fuel on stock ECU, using an Innovate gauge and it's 5v output. My tuner put together the patch.
ronaldo9 (Oct 9, 2018)