Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Change Tranny Fluid HUGE DIFFERENCE with REDLINE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AWDsub
Why do I have a hunch you havent done many track days or have much experience with racing? I have used this exact fluids in my STi for 4 years and 60k miles with no problems.

www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf
Thats a very interesting article. If this article is truly unbiased then we all should be running amsoil severe gear. What does it sell for Oil doc?
not i or anyone here's impressed by your "resume" i can respond to my own experiences on HPDE/autox but honestly it doesnt prove anything. im a firm believer of oem fluids in evos. go enjoy ur "slick" shifting tranny heh
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, thats a major misconception, just because the shifting is better does not indicate better reliability or longevity.

I had BG Syncroshift in my twice freshened Evo 8 tranny and it turned out that one of the culprits leading to the second rebuild, was in fact the lighter nature of the BG.

90w diaqueen has been proven over and over to be the best for longevity.

Dont believe us? Ask Shep, TRE, Buschur....the stuff you're using is recomended for race cars and inevitably you are going to destroy something.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

let him learn the hard way
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:12 PM

Mifesto, I was just screwing with you by quoting you in other words sorry if you didnt find it as funny as I did. But every car manufacturer has there own oils but it doesnt mean that theirs is the best and only fluid we should use. There are many other oils/fluids that exceeds our manufacturers specifications and will work better and last longer.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Redline shockproof is a whole different thing too bad Amsoil didn't test that. Maybe they had a reason not to?!

If it is "A whole different thing" as you say, then they wouldn't have a reason to test it, would they..

Doc
Old Nov 17, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Shockproof is not the Redline product they tested. I believe that was the product the OP was talking about, no? I didn't post the link to the test you did.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 08:09 AM

I would not recommend using anything other than the stock Mitsu fluid. Particulatly in the diff.....................trust me you do not want to learn this lesson the hard way.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

"trust me"?

Originally Posted by EVO Tweeker
I would not recommend using anything other than the stock Mitsu fluid. Particulatly in the diff.....................trust me you do not want to learn this lesson the hard way.
Tell us more, and why should we trust you?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn good info
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

everything today is so weird....cars are so picky nowadays...used to any car could use any oil and it would last forever....it's all about money nowadays.....i will stick with the factory oils myself....my tranny shifts smooth with it...of course it's a little notchy on a cold day when you first start it up...but it says that it will be in the owner's manual....it's like that for most cars until they get warmed up....then it's fine...i'm sure some of these other oils are fine as long as they meet the same requirements but i'm not having any trouble so i'm not gonna change
Old Dec 18, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kilgoja
everything today is so weird....cars are so picky nowadays...used to any car could use any oil and it would last forever....it's all about money nowadays.....i will stick with the factory oils myself....my tranny shifts smooth with it...of course it's a little notchy on a cold day when you first start it up...but it says that it will be in the owner's manual....it's like that for most cars until they get warmed up....then it's fine...i'm sure some of these other oils are fine as long as they meet the same requirements but i'm not having any trouble so i'm not gonna change

It is not "All about the money" for everyone... Yes, we need money to pay bills and enjoy our toys, but for some, there is more to it. Such as myself, where I look for a Win-Win situation. Selling AMSOIL, IS a business for me, it pays my bills and buys my toys. But it is more than that, as I could sell it for full Retail and make more money. But I choose to wholesale it for the lowest possible price AND I also like it when I get people calling me, telling me how great the products are and the improvement in their engines, trannies etc... I also have a very large amount of return customers due to my business practices.

Quick Story... kind of like your tranny problem.... Dealer had a Ferrari in and the thing shifted like a truck when it got cold out... they tried different fluids and no results, at least not good ones.. I got a call and supplied them with the AMSOIL SVG Gear lube... Cold shift problems were gone, I got a Retail account and they got a Happy Customer.. Win-Win-Win in that case.

Something that most people don't know when it comes to some fluids such as Gear Oil. I can just about bottle Maple Syrup and call it gear lube... there is no Governing body for gear lubes, and many oils are not even what they say when they are new, much less after they have been run for a while.

Most OEM's send out for bids on fluids... low bid wins... in some cases, they get the oil so cheap because the Oil Company will also partially pay for the printing of the manuals to include "We Recommend XYZ" ... Just comes out of their advertising budget.

Also, oils Never "Lasted Forever"... they were lucky to make 3000 miles and still have any serviceable life.. Considering that today's engines place a lot more stress on oil due to higher HP, higher RPM's and pushing the envelope on oil temps well above 220, todays oils do a pretty fair job... Of course, that is where a Premium Grade Synthetic comes in and have been developed for..

Doc

Last edited by Oil Doc; Dec 18, 2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great article. So who makes Diaqueen for Mitsubishi?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil Doc,

I pretty much read this entire thread, and the great survey you included.

However, I am still stuck on one thing. There are many firm believers out there that want to stick with OEM fluids. What info do you have on the oem fluid we have in our cars? I am about to change all driveline fluids and am about 95% I will stick with the oem stuff. My car is slightly modded (making 304whp).

As far as your recommendation, what is the exact product (ie weight and glp classification) of the amsoil severe gear that you suggest we use in the:

tranny -
transfer case -
rear diff -

Sidenote: My mitsubishi dealer has amsoil flyers at their parts counter. When I asked them about it, they asked me what oil I used. I said I use the factory fill Mobil 1 synthetic that is required for my evo. They told me not to worry about getting amsoil oil because Mobil 1 and Amsoil are made by the same people. This didn't sound right to me at the time, but I had no basis for arguing. What is the truth?

Could you list or pm me a price on all of your products?

Tyler
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

The tranny takes AMSOIL MTG which is specifically formulated for the most demanding Manual transmissions and is a GL-4, 75W-90.....

For the TC and Differential, Product Code SVG, 75W-90 is the top of the line and GL-5 Rated.

Your transmission calls specifically for a GL-4 and a although a GL-5 MAY carry a GL-4 also, it is very important to check as a 5 does not automatically supercede a 4, there is a distinct difference.

Whoever you at your Mits Dealer is greatly mistaken... The commonality stops where Mobil Oil and AMSOIL purchase their basestocks from the same company. The additives are what makes the oil. Mobil 1 is an excellent oil, but is outperformed by AMSOIL.

Until I pick up an account here on EVO-M to sell AMSOIL, I will continue to sell at Dealer Cost. So you would be buying AMSOIL from me, at exactly what your Mits Dealer pays for it.

I will PM or email your prices... They are on my other computer...

Doc
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doc, the stock fluids feel like crap in the winter. I might be needing some fluids in the next month.

Quick Reply: Change Tranny Fluid HUGE DIFFERENCE with REDLINE