Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo VIII Driveline Fluid Change How-To

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo VIII Driveline Fluid Change How-To

Sorry I have no pics for you, but i have provided adequet info to make this easy. Yes I did it myself, not too hard. Take your car for a short drive and run through all the gears, itll let the fluid warm and will drain quicker and easier. I just got the wrench size for the drain and fill plugs. I believe you need a 24mm and a 17mm wrench and a ratchet/socket in the 24mm and 17mm non deepsocket. itll come in handy. The fill plugs on mine had "OIL" marked on the top of the bolt, and the drain plugs arent hard to find. The fill plug on the transfercase is trickey to find, but its right behind where the passanger side axle comes out of the transfercase. You'll need a 3" extension on a 3/8 drive ratchet, with a 17mm. Its trickey but be patient and youll get it out. Put the bolt in the socket and use the socket in your hand to start the bolt then hook up the ratchet/extension and tighten em up after youve put in the new fluid. Get em snug but dont go pro arm wrestler tight or you might strip em. Make sure you clean all the metal shavings off of all three drain plugs, and dont lose the washers on the drainplugs. I dont remember if the fill plugs had one too, but if so, dont lose em! Its best if you can jack up all four corners of your car level, so you can make sure to get as much old fluid out as possible. Be prepared for the tranny oil to fly out for a couple seconds when you remove the drain plug. Let everything drain for about 20-30 minutes. I drained all three at the same time, so it wasnt too bad. Good time to chill have a drink or w/e. Go ahead and put all three drain plugs back in. Hopefully you have a hand pump of some sort for your new oil. If not get one. Its reuseable and will make putting in the new oil a **** ton easier. 2.9 quarts for the tranny, .58 quart for the transfercase, .58 quart for the rear diff. And you just pump the oil in until it starts to pour back out, and if you can keep a lil extra from pouring out, its not a bad thing. I used pretty much every bit of the 3 quarts I bought of the amsoil 75w 90 synthetic manual tranny fluid. But I bought 2 quarts of the amsoil 75w 90 synthetic severe gear oil for the transfercase and rear diff, and I only used one, but its better to have extra than not enough. Make Sure your drain plugs and fill plugs are clean and equipped with their washers and that they go back in the right hole. Have a small plastic cup handy to keep the loose end of your pump hose from leaking all over your floor. Make Sure to get at least an inch of hose into the section your filling so it doesnt start pouring back out prematurely. After you fill each section, immediately replace the fill plug bolt. Then be sure to wipe off any oil that may have spilled onto the downpipe or w/e. Clean-up, lower your car down, clean your tools then yourself and go for a drive, take it easy at first to listen for any irregularities. and after your satisfied, drive as you wish. Once again, Im sorry I dont have any pics for you, I didnt have my camera at the time. And Im sure my How-to isnt the most organized step by step how-to, but if you read it first and get the stuff you need before hand, and have an idea of what to do, itll be way easier!
Old May 22, 2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks... I think... But holy crap thats hard to read... Punctuation & grammar are your friends..
Old May 25, 2009, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nperkins
Thanks... I think... But holy crap thats hard to read... Punctuation & grammar are your friends..
Sorry bout that, i posted it kinda spur of the moment. I wish i coulda done a more step by step how to. Sorry
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:03 AM

pretty easy to read.. people just have nothing else to do besides making stupid remarks about grammar .... get a live peeps
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:28 PM

Bringing this back from the dead I guess. Doing this tomorrow and was wondering if I could do all 3 at the same time. Seems you were able to. Also, your thread made sense to me.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
yup. i normally do transmisson then transfer case then rear diff. just work from front to back
Old Apr 28, 2017, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

Pics with this one.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-changes.html