Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to Make an Intake Heat shield

Old Jul 6, 2012, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Make an Intake Heat shield

A few months back I made a heat shield to keep some of that hot air away from my intake. I figured I'd take pics and make a how to while I was at it.

I started out with piece of cardboard. I used this as a template of which I would make a plastic version of. I wanted my heat shield to be as simple as possible so I designed it to fit over the maf and between the battery and the front of the car.

Name:  Template2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  Test.jpg
Size:  54.7 KB

Once I got the shape and size dialed in (took lots of trimming) I taped it down to the high temp polycarbonate that I was using as my actual shield.

Name:  Template1.jpg
Size:  30.9 KB

To cut it out, I used a scroll saw (because I'm lazy and I have one lol) but any fine tooth saw should work.
Name:  Cutting1.jpg
Size:  62.3 KB

Now that I have the shape cut out and have test fitted it on the car (make sure you check for hood clearance, you don't want to dent your hood!), it was time to trace out the heat reflector.

Test fit
Name:  Fitting1.jpg
Size:  35.5 KB

Tracing the reflecting material
Name:  Tracing1.jpg
Size:  24.6 KB

Sadly I don't have pictures of sticking the reflector to the shield, it was quite tricky trying to align everything! But eventually it did work. Now you might want to put some sunglasses on for this next part lol. I decided to use DEI gold reflector because its supposed to reflect the most heat....yes and because its gold lol.
Name:  Gold1.jpg
Size:  37.3 KB

And the final finished product on the car....quite bright lol. I haven't measured any temps yet but you can feel a big difference simply by putting your hand on either side. Does it help? Possibly. Is it scientific, not really but I was bored lol hope this helps.
Name:  done.jpg
Size:  65.2 KB
Old Jul 6, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great How to:. Have you thought about putting a weather strip along the top edge where the intake shield meets the hood to further eliminate heat from entering the intake area?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
top edge where the intake shield meets the hood
Great suggestion!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 02:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Omg niiice I need to do this ASAP !
Old Jul 6, 2012, 03:05 PM

Great How to:. Have you thought about putting a weather strip along the top edge where the intake shield meets the hood to further eliminate heat from entering the intake area?
Lol you know, someone told me to do that and I have meant to do it every since! I will have to do that!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nice job!

i also heard that covering the MAF with the shield helps too.

looks good
Old Jul 6, 2012, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since this heat shield is tailored to each individual engine bay. You can further improve the design by using the factory airbox scoop or rather ducting fresh air through the customized heat shield.
Name:  Test.jpg
Size:  48.7 KB

Last edited by Sil'vr-Boi6; Jul 6, 2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
Old Jul 6, 2012, 05:49 PM

Since this heat shield is tailored to each individual engine bay. You can further improve the design by using the factory airbox scoop or rather ducting fresh air through the customized heat shield.
That is very cleaver, I thought about doing something similar since there is very little airflow to the filter now. Having seen the pic, I may do that. Lol at this rate with all the good EvoM suggestions, this thread will need a part 2!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

the bottom of the scoop could use the gold wrap also as it gets pretty hot
Old Jul 9, 2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Initial_r90
the bottom of the scoop could use the gold wrap also as it gets pretty hot
Good thinking sir. I am going to modify that scoop so that it forces air into the filter area, then line it with gold. Damn, my engine bay is going to look like a tanning salon lol
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:46 AM

I really like this idea. I have been thinking about attempting something similar after first reading this post . What kind of high temp polymer did you use? and where did you purchase it from?

I like the idea of using the factory air duct. Would the ram air effect be reason for a re-tune? I am leaning towards no, but am unsure.

Awesome write up!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
sub'd for a great DIY project. great write up. well done sir!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:38 PM

great idea
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like! It's simple, with great results. Good job
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TpArK
I really like this idea. I have been thinking about attempting something similar after first reading this post . What kind of high temp polymer did you use? and where did you purchase it from?

I like the idea of using the factory air duct. Would the ram air effect be reason for a re-tune? I am leaning towards no, but am unsure.

Awesome write up!
Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I apologize, I should have added more details so you can try it yourself.

For the actual shield itself I went to Tap Plastics and asked for the highest temp plastic that was 1/8th inch thick. Its been awhile now so I don't completely remember the name of it but I think it was something along the lines of a high temp poly carbonate.

For the gold reflector I used DEI gold. I thiiiiink I bought this size but it all depends on how you make yours. I had a bit left over to tart up the rest of the engine bay
Amazon Amazon

I personally don't think a retune would be needed since you more than likely tuned with that on anyway. Plus its just increasing available air to the filter area and not directly into the filter like a true ram air system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Make an Intake Heat shield