Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

show me your evo with roof rack

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8yurAMG
well if it is oyur only car...and you surf and snowboard then you NEED one. besides the baddest STi i have ever seen was coming down the mountain at big bear and it had a roof rack with 3 snowboards chillin on it.
i just dont ride my longboard unless someone has truck. its xanadu 6'3" or bust. this fall i may end up putting a rack/
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Does Yakima make the clips for the evo? Which ones do I buy? I already have a set from my jetta that is new, so I just need to replace the clips.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

go here to build your own yakima kit.

Originally Posted by ntwaddel
Does Yakima make the clips for the evo? Which ones do I buy? I already have a set from my jetta that is new, so I just need to replace the clips.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MeKilla
go here to build your own yakima kit.
I have everything but the roof clips for my car. They dont have anything listed for the lancer
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Q 102 clips for the front
Q 83 clips for the back

This is assuming you have the Q Towers of course. I remember the Q 83 clips being a beeyotch to locate. I ended up having to drive 60 miles to get some.

Oh, you also need a minimum of 48" long cross bars. Get the 38" fairing for extra bling bonus points

Originally Posted by ntwaddel
I have everything but the roof clips for my car. They dont have anything listed for the lancer
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

i know a guy that is selling his rack, exact same setup as mine minus the fairing! let me know if you are interested...

Originally Posted by ashumo
mekilla looks good...this year i might rock a yakima rack. last season i just didnt use my rear seats and it worked out good. what width load bars you using?

where you getting a pass for this winter?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MeKilla
Q 102 clips for the front
Q 83 clips for the back

This is assuming you have the Q Towers of course. I remember the Q 83 clips being a beeyotch to locate. I ended up having to drive 60 miles to get some.

Oh, you also need a minimum of 48" long cross bars. Get the 38" fairing for extra bling bonus points
awesome. I have the Q towers already and all the goodies. power hound snowboard mounts
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rawandbruteEVO
I can imagine a Hilux with a roofrack, a CR-V, X-trail, or Murano with a roofrack, a civic, Sentra, Accord, Altima etc with a roofrack, but I had never ever though of an Evo with a roofrack. Hope those old-time Evo fanatics and owners are not seeing this thread

LOL. Evos have been pissing off sports car weenies since they started selling them to the public. It certainly won't won't affect the Evo's brick like areodynamics!

Me likey teh 18x9.5's
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:40 AM

Has anyone removed their roof rack and has it left marks where it was on the roof? From dirt or what not getting under where it sits and scratching the paint or marking it?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by confusionisbad
Has anyone removed their roof rack and has it left marks where it was on the roof? From dirt or what not getting under where it sits and scratching the paint or marking it?
Yeah it can happen, but there's a few things you can do to prevent it:
Best: Get some 3M clear film and place it where the feet are.
Good: Put a fresh layer of carnuba wax on a day before you install the rack. Any marks that it does make should buff out with rubbing compound.

Also, if you're driving in a lot of nasty weather be sure and take the rack off frequently to clean under the feet.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will definitely be getting a rack this season. I don't want my dirtbag, un-understanding shredding buddies' melting, muddy gear inside my evo. I will probably order mine thru www.rackattack.com or www.orsracksdirect.com . I bought a trailer hitch 4 bike rack for my old 4Runner from rackattack and it was one of the best buying experinces i have ever had.
i will probably buy the "auto-configure by vehicle" Yakima kit from them for my roofrack. Here's my question:

If you look at Mark Arcenal's (silver with flushed out TE37's) evo, see how he has the clips that extend down onto the window frame/moulding? Does that leave marks on the window moulding? I don't like the way it looks all that much, I want some towers/feet that lock into the gutters only.

Addicted4life: It looks like you had the same goal and used the same rack (Yakima?) as Mark, but added foam pads under the towers, and instead of locking the clips onto the window/door frame, locked them into the rain gutters? What other mods did you do for that?
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:52 PM

im looking for one too, *bump*
Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:37 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

A thule rack should work just fine for an evo. I hate a thule off my STi, will get the correct fitkit and use it for the evo as well this winter
Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rawandbruteEVO
I can imagine a Hilux with a roofrack, a CR-V, X-trail, or Murano with a roofrack, a civic, Sentra, Accord, Altima etc with a roofrack, but I had never ever though of an Evo with a roofrack. Hope those old-time Evo fanatics and owners are not seeing this thread
Well if you freak out about the roof rack you'd really freak if you saw that I have SSR competitions for my snow tires now (my black racing/RA1s are in the picture, not my snow tires obviously)

I cut the load bars down so that they are flush, looks much cleaner that way IMO. I got the rack that slides out to you, it's keeps you from getting dirty leaning on the side of the car to grab your board. The only bad thing is if there is freezing rain it can get jammed up.
If somebody has a wide stance and you put their board with one binding behind the back rack WATCH OUT FOR CLEARANCE TO THE WING! It was fine with a 162, but on a longer board you might hit.
Also if you have four people and you're putting boards upside down look out for the straps hitting the of the roof. I always tied them up to the binding with twine so they wouldn't fall down and rub on the roof.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I realize on thing that's really appealing about Mark's rack and how it's mounted is that the load bars are lower. This looks good, and I like it after all, as long as there is room for the upside down bindings. Mark, if you read this, I dont know if you ever put boards on it. If so, is there enough clearance under the lower bars for upside down boads' bindings?

Quick Reply: show me your evo with roof rack