Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Paint Questions Answered Here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok hi. Maybe you saw my post under yours somewhere....how the hell do i get white to get that deep gloss ?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:16 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your question has been answered pretty thouroughly (sp?) in the other post, however. Understand that while you may get a "shine" on your car from a good waxing you may still have contaminents in the clear from daily driving etc. A clay bar kit can be used to remove these contaminents. FAIR WARNING it is abbrasive to the paint some body shops will tell you not to do it. I have done it in the past about twice a year and feel it helps the "shine" while detailing.

Also remember that your Evo doesn't have the gretest clear done from the factory. To get that deep glossy look it will require quite a few layers of clear. ( Of course that means new paint. LOL) If in the future you get re-sprayed and still want a deep gloss white I would recommend a pure white such as the EVO'S WW but with either a pearl or color shift mixed in and several coats of clear. I am using approx 2 gallons of clear for my car just for reference. (See color in above posts)
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aux.
Ok hi. Maybe you saw my post under yours somewhere....how the hell do i get white to get that deep gloss ?
Well whites are not known for their deep gloss looks, as white is not the most contrasting color in the pallet wheel. BUT, here is what you can do. If you are not good with a buffer, let a painter or detailer do this. Compound the whole car with a white foam pad or a normal cloth pad using a RUBBING compound. White are just about the only color that you can do this on, in fact you will see the gloss come back with only compound. Also this removes all the dingy dirty crap on it that hinders whites glossy look. Then go back over it with a black foam pad and the white polish glaze(glaze comes in light and dark varities so use the light) and you will get that desired gloss look. Maybe not as much as a darker colored car but it will look almost new. Then 2 to 3 good coats of wax. That is about all you can do with white. Another thing what year is your car? Keep in mind the 03-04(and maybe 05??) evo's are what is called single stage paint. SO when you have a lil white on your buffing pads do not be alarmed(this also goes for the reds too) it is not because your cars have no clear. This is the biggest show and shine myth I have seen on Evom. It is because your car was shot in single stage paint. In laymans terms, base coat (color) and clear (glossy) all in one step. So try to buff it like I outlined and you will see better results. Whites are known for getting that yellow hue to them over time, which is the same on all cars only we do not see as much on a darker color. Hope this helps

Josh

Last edited by ziggy_juju; Aug 22, 2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akunochi
Right CLay bar immediatley 2-3 times a week...got it thanks. LOL

So when are we getting this forum idea of yours?
Well I asked the mods and depending on how this thread picks up it may happen or it may not, I think it is going well as of now, but not totally overwelming. I really do not care if a forum gets added or not, because with this tread, the people who need help know where to find it. So I think its ok the way it is for now.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

The dreaded cost question. Seeing as how I know nothing about painting cars. Whats a good estimate to get a black car redone with black but with a better clear coat. Also how do you go about finding a good painter?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sayanara
The dreaded cost question. Seeing as how I know nothing about painting cars. Whats a good estimate to get a black car redone with black but with a better clear coat. Also how do you go about finding a good painter?
Oh yes the dreaded cost question, prepared to be overwelmed and sit down if you are not already . Depending on who you take it to, and what type of shop you take it to, ie a normal body shop or a full on custom shop, prices will vary. But let me give you a rule of thumb. The industry works on a per hour rate in most places and not on a "by the job". Just like labor rates if you need mechanical work done actually. Now a complete can vary on how many hours it takes to get done depending on if you have body time, lil dings and dents you may have got over the time of having the car, or just straight paint time. I am going to out on a limb here and say anywhere from 2 grand on up to 4 grand. Since this is your daily driver and you are not going with a "show car" finish, most likely the lower of the two. You could find a guy like me in your area who might do it on the side, but you almost give up the warranty you would get from a body shop, and yes boys and girls you do get a warranty when you get paint work. Stay away from Maaco and their Emperor package or whatever. To locate a good shop ask about their credentials. Look for the I-CAR cert on the side of the shop, and also inquire about the paint line they use. Most shops, including the one I work at are contracted to a certain brand of paint. Dupont, PPG, BASF, R&M(same as BASF) etc etc. Also look for how long they have been in business, and do not be afraid to shop around. Get some estimates and if you like, go ahead an PM with your estimates and I can give you my advice on who I think is going to do the best job. Good luck.

Josh

PS estimates are free so get a lot....
Old Aug 23, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Better yet Sayanara, when you do get a few estimates, please post your info here. Not many people have a clue what it costs to get a solid paint job, or fully understand what goes into painting a car. I think a few references would answer a lot of questions for people who are thinking of getting their car resprayed. So if you can please post some of those estimates here as long as it does not contradict any rules about vendors we have here, ie maybe blank out the shops name or number so it is not viewed as advertisment. Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
Account Disabled

Payed 1200 Plus materials for my custom Candy Brandywine w. ghost flames. Mind you this is an unbelievable deal by a guy who just loves to paint cars and bikes custom.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akunochi
Payed 1200 Plus materials for my custom Candy Brandywine w. ghost flames. Mind you this is an unbelievable deal by a guy who just loves to paint cars and bikes custom.
Thats just about what I would have charged you, I would have prolly said 1500 plus materials. However I shot a cover truck back in 2001 for this pro golfer, it was a 56 Ford Truck, we did it from the ground up, it was sponsered by crager. But after it was done he wanted ghost flames on it, so he paid me an extra 1500 JUST for the ghost flames on the hood, fenders, doors and a lil tribal ghost flames on his tonneau cover. I worked so hard on that truck when it was time to give it back I didnt want to, it was MY baby
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:07 AM
Account Disabled

SO after spending all saturday prepping the car and roughing the clear cost and doing minor body work we resprayed the silver base...sprayed clear...came back to apply Kandy...found reducer had gotted in clear= MASSIVE ****ING WRINKLES IN MY PAINT!!!! + Carquest was closed on said day. Oh did I mention the orginal silver was not shaken good enough by carquest and the flake came out all screwed up and it was the wrong tint? At least they are now giving me a gallon of clear and a half gallon of my silver base. Bastardo's
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I was quoted $3500 to change my car from Tarmac to Dodge 2128/j-5 Sublime. He said i would save alot if i could disassemble the whole car. Could also save about a grand if i dont do the door jams. He takes off the doors. I really dont want to do that, but........will it look gay if i leave the jams black????? The hood will be black with a semi-gloss clear. This will be a solid color. No pear/metalic ect. Do you have to clear a solid color???? Did they do it in the 70's?? Thanks in advance.....RRR
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:44 AM
Account Disabled

Yess you have to clear. The better clear you use the more paint "blemishes" it will hide plus it lays better. To answer your other questions. 3500 is a lot. You have a good dark base already, which I would use. Door jams do not require the doors to be taken off, just a little crafty masking. I personally think with a black hood, black engine bay, and black door jams it wouldn't look bad. Perhaps have someone in the area do a two tone interior fiberglass job for you as well. I could do it for you, but I doubt your close to me.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

I'd like to see a bigger picture of your avatar. How much is a good price on getting a helmet custom done? I'm not sure what I would want, but just assume a new color with some airbrush work.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

I've got one. How about the black window trim edging the glass on the doors. Anyone have experience repairing scuffs or scratches there?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
I was quoted $3500 to change my car from Tarmac to Dodge 2128/j-5 Sublime. He said i would save alot if i could disassemble the whole car. Could also save about a grand if i dont do the door jams. He takes off the doors. I really dont want to do that, but........will it look gay if i leave the jams black????? The hood will be black with a semi-gloss clear. This will be a solid color. No pear/metalic ect. Do you have to clear a solid color???? Did they do it in the 70's?? Thanks in advance.....RRR
OK what is talking about with no clear is called single stage paint, its the base coat and clear all in one step. You have to have some kind of clear on your car, even if you do a matte finish it still has clear on it, only a Matte clear. As far as him removing the doors, well my friend, it comes with the territory. I think it will look very tacky with black jams and silver car myself. Jams is just part of the process. Removing your your doors is a GOOD idea cause then you would have no paint lines in your quarter jams and decklid etc etc. Price wise for 3500 he should do all that and more IMO. And yes in the 70's 80's and 90's and now single stage paint is everywhere. Even the 03-04 Solid colored evo's are single staged, ie the whites reds. In fact tonight I was watching a re run of american hot rod and even the mighty boyd cottington SINGLE STAGED one of his project cars???? You would think a car of that importance he would have Base coat cleared but oh well to each his own.

Quick Reply: Paint Questions Answered Here